Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

I was at the Columbus WC qualifier when the US beat Mexico and we had a BIG homefield advantage. Columbus is really the only venue I've seen so far where we are guaranteed to have a homefield advantage.

I've seen all the games so far and my two favorites to this point were the T & T game and the Australia game. Australia was very hard done by the refs allowance of the Japanese goal, loved the comeback. Hopefully Cahill can start the next game, he is the best Aussie player by far, IMO. The T & T game... simply a beautiful performance from the soca warriors. Taking a draw from Sweden is the upset of the tournament so far. Heroic performace from 37 year old T & T GK Shaka Hislop.

Let's Go Yanks!!!!

(BTW, England looked dreadful. They must improve if they're to have long-term success in this tournament)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Cahill must be immortal in Australia by now. I'm glad they pulled out a convincing win after the Japanese goal was allowed by the refs.

This is the first year I've really gotten into this tournament. There's an office pool at work and I have the Netherlands to root for and they look like a favorite. Then I have acquaintences from Sweden (was the best game with T&T I saw before the Aussies pulled out the late comeback), Australia, Sweden, Poland, Ecuador and the Netherlands to root for.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Onyewu is killing the U.S. He failed to mark Koller on the first goal and simply handed the Czechs the second goal with a lazy header.

Meanwhile there's no push on the offensive end. The Czechs are dominating the middle of the field. McBride has been invisible. Beasley and Convey haven't been able to create anything on the wings. Right now this team looks every bit as bad as the '98 squad.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Onyewu gets burned again. 3-0 Czechs.

Eddie Johnson is the only U.S. player who's shown a thing today.

got alil captain in u?

im hoping ti's only first game jitters cause it looks terrible right now

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Onyewu gets burned again. 3-0 Czechs.

Eddie Johnson is the only U.S. player who's shown a thing today.
    Dead in the water and the back line has been soft against the counter attack.

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    im hoping ti's only first game jitters cause it looks terrible right now
    This looks to be a permanently flawed team. No one in the middle can play defense and the bad touches up front are epidemic. DaMarcus Beasley is handling the pill like it's a superball.

Hands-down the U.S. is the worst team I've seen take the field so far.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    This looks to be a permanently flawed team. No one in the middle can play defense and the bad touches up front are epidemic. DaMarcus Beasley is handling the pill like it's a superball.

Hands-down the U.S. is the worst team I've seen take the field so far.
    If South Korea didn't score a goal late in the match w/Portugal at World Cup 2002, I doubt expectations would be so high for this team.

Well it's two wins in the next two games or go home. A 3-0 loss pretty much shoots any chance at moving forward on goal differential right in the foot.

I guess this thread can now be closed. That was quick.

Meanwhile I'm thinking Ghana is the sleeper in this group. If that club can beat Italy today, it would put the U.S. and Italy in a game of two teams playing for their lives on Saturday. That would at least create a little drama.

That was awful to watch. Way to look like you want to be there guys.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

First of all, the U.S. players did not show up to play today. It will be a big setback to soccer in the United States if this team lays a 1998 style egg. With good run, the ordinary Joe might decide that this isn't such a bad game. Two more games like this and ordinary Joe might tune in to the next World Cup if there is nothing else on TV.

Second, Bruce Arena is a good coach who is poorly matched with this team. The strength of the best players on the team is speed. Arena prefers a game suited to big men. For the U.S. to sustain success in soccer, we need to decide on a style of play. The best U.S. athletes playing soccer are always going to be size challenged because if they were bigger, they would play football or basketball. Thus, the style of play needs to be quicker, with the ball on the ground more than in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Second, Bruce Arena is a good coach who is poorly matched with this team. The strength of the best players on the team is speed. Arena prefers a game suited to big men. For the U.S. to sustain success in soccer, we need to decide on a style of play. The best U.S. athletes playing soccer are always going to be size challenged because if they were bigger, they would play football or basketball. Thus, the style of play needs to be quicker, with the ball on the ground more than in the air.
    I couldn't agree more.

Arena also seems to have the team working this endless buildup that leads nowhere. That's fine if you want to pack some height into the box, but the U.S. needs to perform some quick transitions. They need to run through the defense before the defense has a chance to set itself.

I don't care what style of soccer you're professing to play, when the effort and workrate is like what we saw from the U.S. today, you deserve to lose. DaMarcus Beasley must be benched. His touch has totally deserted him. Landon, wow, way to fight against the rep that you disappear on German soil.

Folks blaming Onyewu, yeah he was bad, but that Koller goal was more Pope than Gooch. And Kasey Keller above them all. His dreadful distribution led directly to the man running down our left flank with nary a defender in sight.

Hmmm, what else, start Dempsey next game, bench Beasley, don't try to play an asinine 4-5-1... start EJ...

Overall, yes, I've seen all the matches so far and the U.S. has put forth, by a LARGE margin, the weakest effort to this point.

Just an embarrassing effort all around. No imagination, no ideas, no hustle, no desire, no heart, technical mistakes, tactical idiocy... lol, can you tell I'm disappointed. I don't mind losing to Czech Republic, no shame in that whatsoever, but to lose like this is really pathetic.

Turn Off Ads?