Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds
    The only thing that was missing in the France V Spain match was an Henry goal, but other then that it was the best match of the cup IMHO. Now that we are down to 8 teams, how about some predictions!

Quarters

Germany-Argentina: Argentina 2-1

Italy-Ukraine: Italy 2-0

England-Portugal: England 1-0

Brazil-France: France 2-1 (yeah I said it)

Semis

Argentina-Italy: 1-1 Argentina on PKs

England-France: England 1-0

Finals

England-Argentina: Argentina 3-1
    I'll take that now !!!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

England have a good chance against Portugal although their right back situation is of concern. JC is a good defender but will struggle against the speed of Ronaldo.

As for Germany - Argentina I'm tipping the upset with a 3-1 to the Jerrys.

Going for Ukraine for an unlikely win against Italy - is a penalty in injury time too much to ask for.

Brazil hasn't hit their straps yet but you gotta think they're going to soon. Tip the referee hobbles off with a painful achilles tendon injury in the first minute.

The Germany-Argentina quarterfinal is going to end in a penaly kick shootout.

Jens Lehmann just earned his keep.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Jens Lehmann just earned his keep.
    Not much of a game, but entertaining end.

Anyone know what the row at the end was all about?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Blaim the injury on the Argentina goal keeper. Kills for the Pk's and tactically it screwed them up.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Germany couldn't get anything done in their box, the Argentines pretty much spent the day clearing the ball out of the box everytime (but one) that it came in.

But the German goal took the wind out of their sails.

06/30/06 - USL First Division (USLFD)

TAMPA, FL - United Soccer Leagues announced the coaches and players for the USL First Division All-Star Game set for July 19 in Cary, North Carolina versus English Coca Cola Championship League side Sheffield Wednesday. The game will be carried live on Fox Soccer Channel at 8:00 pm ET.

The coaches for the team are Montreal's Nick DeSantis, who will serve as head coach, and Rochester's Laurie Calloway. The pair finished first and second for the 2005 Coach of the Year honors, respectively.

Leading the list of players is former World Cup MVP Romario, who currently ranks second in the league in goals with nine on the campaign. The Brazilian legend will be joined by fellow 1994 World Cup teammate Zinho and Guatemalan international Mario Rodriguez.

Three All-League selections from last season also highlight the roster with two-time Defender of the year Gabriel Gervais of the Montreal Impact joined on the back line by the Portland Timbers' Scot Thompson. Both were on the All-League First Team in 2005. Second Team selection Petter Villegas will represent Puerto Rico.

Gervais will be joined by Impact teammates Mauricio Vincello and Villegas will be accompanied by Mauricio Segovia from the Islanders.

League-leading goalkeepers in shutouts Scott Vallow (8) of Rochester and Matt Nelson (6) of Virginia Beach will backstop the team with current three-time Goalkeeper of the Year Greg Sutton out due to injury.

The 18-player squad for the USL First Division All-Star Game, which will featured kits provided by official USL sponsor UMBRO, was selected by United Soccer Leagues in consultation with DeSantis and Calloway.

"With the opponent in the All-Star game being an established club side, we wanted to ensure that not only were the fan favorites represented, but also players who would make the team complete from a competitive standpoint, which is often not the case with All-Star games," said USL Director of Pro League Operations Steven Thompson. "I think we struck a great balance in selecting stars from across the league and have built a team that will be very good coming together with brief preparation for the match."

Players from Seattle and Vancouver were unavailable for selection to due scheduled friendlies with their club.

USL First Division All-Star Game Roster

G Nelson, Matt Virginia Beach Mariners

G Vallow, Scott Rochester Raging Rhinos

D Branan, Dustin Minnesota Thunder

D Gervais, Gabriel Montreal Impact

D Sanfilippo, Frank Rochester Raging Rhinos

D Thompson, Scot Portland Timbers

D Vincello, Mauricio Montreal Impact

D/M Segovia, Mauricio Puerto Rico Islanders

M Ball, John Rochester Raging Rhinos

M Daley, Omar Charleston Battery

M Dodds, Jamie Toronto Lynx

M Shak, Steve Virginia Beach Mariners

M Zinho Miami FC

M/F Villegas, Petter Puerto Rico Islanders

F McLaughlin, Jason Atlanta Silverbacks

F Rodriguez, Mario Miami FC

F Romario Miami FC

F Simmonds, Greg Virginia Beach Mariners

Roster subject to change
    Anyway I will be able to see this from England ??

Red card to Rooney for the WWE groin stomp.

RawOwl, please step away from the ledge.

Should England advance... could use a little bit of Jermain Defoe right about now (nicely done, Sven, nicely done)... Will England be forced to play with 2 up top? Surely they can't expect to generate any offense with Crouch alone on an island up top.

Even in slow motion I couldn't tell if Rooney's step in the groin was intentional or if he was just trying to put his foot down to get his balance. I thought straight red was a bit harsh. England had no business advancing. They were clearly the weakest team left and never looked very good the entire Cup. They had an extremely weka offensive attack and played too much "sit back and try not to lose" soccer. I'm no Portugal fan at all(I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo...even though I realize he's a phenomenal player), but they are quite a bit better than England, IMO, based on this World Cup.

And what a weak effort on kicks by the English team. Sure, the Portugese keeper was great, but England's misses never made him move more than a couple of feet in either direction. They were very poor attempts.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Even in slow motion I couldn't tell if Rooney's step in the groin was intentional or if he was just trying to put his foot down to get his balance. I thought straight red was a bit harsh. England had no business advancing. They were clearly the weakest team left and never looked very good the entire Cup. They had an extremely weka offensive attack and played too much "sit back and try not to lose" soccer. I'm no Portugal fan at all(I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo...even though I realize he's a phenomenal player), but they are quite a bit better than England, IMO, based on this World Cup.

And what a weak effort on kicks by the English team. Sure, the Portugese keeper was great, but England's misses never made him move more than a couple of feet in either direction. They were very poor attempts.
    Sven Goran Ericson and Bruce Arena must have gone to the same "How to play cowardly soccer" school. Can I say one more time how much I loathe the 4-5-1.

SGE should have taken Jermain Defoe and left Walcott at home. He had no options other than Crouch. He took Walcott yet never played him. I don't know who is guilty of being the worst manager in this World Cup, Bruce Arena or Sven Goran but they were both dreadful.

If I were an England fan, I'd be throughly pissed at SGE. They are a much better team than they showed this WC. They played a 4-4-2 (majority of the time anyway) in all of their WC warm-ups, as did the USA. Why did both of these managers suddenly lose their stones on the world's biggest stage??

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

France takes a 1-0 lead on Brazil in the 56th minute or so. Henry was WIDE open on the set-piece... the French had a jailbreak to the net, which makes me wonder if Brazil was supposed to be playing an offsides trap and a couple of them didn't get the message.

Edit: France holds on 1-0.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Attack Cat!

Being angry at SGE was a national pastime even before this atrocious effort. As far as France goes, I love the way they play. It is everything England should have been, but wasn't. I've never seen Brazil so outplayed.

Ronaldinho pushed up too far; Cafu belongs in a rocking chair, not as their right wing back; they became 2x as dangerous when he was finally subbed out for Cicinho.

Roberto Carlos was dreadful the entire WC.

Ronaldo's lack of fitness finally caught up with him.

No Robinho till the 79th minute?? Dumb.

Wow, what poor managing out of so many supposed experts this WC.

It must be remarked upon, however, that in addition to Parreira's dumb decisions, that was the most pedestrian effort I've ever seen out of a Brazil team in a knockout match.

Brazil looked bored until about the last 10 minutes.

Oh man, Zidane is so freaking awesome. Even with his loss of a few steps he's still one of the best in the world. I'm going to miss that guy. He absolutely put on a clinic of how to control a game from the midfield today. He's something special and I hate to see him go.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?