Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

As for the first two goals, if Pope and Onyewu sandwich Koller on that first one, then the Czech probably wouldn't have been able to head the ball with such authority. On the second goal, Rosicky doesn't score if Onyewu doesn't put the ball right on his foot in a spot where he can take a free blast at the net.
    That's my point. Not much Keller could do about those goals.

To add...if Onyewu doesn't pick up an unnecessary yellow card in the 4th minute, then he can actually body-up on Koller without worrying about picking up his second.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    This is a bit off point but whither Freddy Adu? Is he not old enough? Injured? Not scrappy enough?
    Judged by Bruce Arena to not be ready to contribute. He's old enough, yes the scrappiness might play a role. IMO, Freddy is already probably our most inventive player, our player with some 'ideas' that few American players are capable of generating. He would have been a nice late-game wildcard sub, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    That's my point. Not much Keller could do about those goals.

To add...if Onyewu doesn't pick up an unnecessary yellow card in the 4th minute, then he can actually body-up on Koller without worrying about picking up his second.
    Onyewu lost all track of Koller on that play. I could even understand if he had marked the man and been forced to play him gingerly because of the yellow card, but that's not what happened. Onyewu jogged right out of the play.

I agree that there's not much Keller could do about those two goals, but I bet Cech would have stopped at least one of them.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The guy I'd like to see the U.S. pluck for the job is coaching Trinidad and Tobago -- Leo Beenhaker.

Wily Mo, I'm not saying Pope made a good player on Koller, clearly he didn't (the big man made him look like a child). Yet at least he marked the man and attempted to make a stop. Can you explain to me what Onyewu was doing on that play?

As for who to replace Onyewu with (because somebody has to replace him), I was under the impression that Bocanegra is more of an outer player. Conrad makes consistently good decisions and he's probably the most ferocious defender the team has got. I'm all for a total turnover on the backline after yesterday's game. Put Conrad and Berhalter in the middle with Bocanegra and Albright on the flanks.

I'm with you on Friedel. If the team wasn't going to be throw in behind the up-and-comer, Howard, then Friedel's proven himself the nation's top big game veteran. I agree that Keller doesn't seem to have the spectacular save in him.
    LOL, Gooch was doing a great job marking that air. Nah he was in no-man's land, and he was there by his own design.

Actually, Boca is played out of position when he's put at LB, he is a CB. I honestly don't think you bench Onyewu, maybe Pope, b/c of his age. Onyewu took his lumps and made his bad decisions, I think he'll put in a much better performance on Saturday and should definitely still start. I wouldn't mind subbing Boca for Pope, what we really need is the player who tore a muscle in his leg in the build-up to the WC: Corey Gibbs. He is a physical defender who plays well for ADO Haag and can play some true Outside LB. I think if you want Eddie Lewis to play next game, he needs to be put in an actual midfield position b/c he was a blackhole yesterday when expected to defend.

Keller's distribution and control of his backline was HORRIBLE yesterday. Really really bad. The 2nd goal, his 'jump' on the shot was awful. I'm sorry, but an athletic Tim Howard steers that shot from 35 past his far post. KK will make all the easy saves, but so will our other two goalies, and Howard, at least, provides the hope of making the specutacular save that I haven't seen out of KK in a long time.

And Keller was rooted to his backline on the first, a hard charge and punch, it was obvious what was coming, and Koller was not out of his near-reach had he come out

I agree that there's not much Keller could do about those two goals, but I bet Cech would have stopped at least one of them.
    Not the second one. Nobody would've stopped that. A beautiful and amazing shot.

I honestly don't think you bench Onyewu, maybe Pope, b/c of his age. Onyewu took his lumps and made his bad decisions, I think he'll put in a much better performance on Saturday and should definitely still start.
    They need someone with size to mark Toni.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Judged by Bruce Arena to not be ready to contribute. He's old enough, yes the scrappiness might play a role. IMO, Freddy is already probably our most inventive player, our player with some 'ideas' that few American players are capable of generating. He would have been a nice late-game wildcard sub, IMO.
    Thanks. I was wondering why he didn't make the team if he is supposed to be so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Not the second one. Nobody would've stopped that. A beautiful and amazing shot.
    I'm with WilyMoROCKS on this one, Keller looked like he got a bad jump on it to me. I don't think it's a save that other goalies would make all the time, but I think there's other goalies that could have made that save. A little better anticipation and athleticism and that shot could have been punched away.

It was a great shot, but Keller was in a position where he could get to that post and Rosicky had to play it forward one touch before he blasted it.

Thanks. I was wondering why he didn't make the team if he is supposed to be so good.
    He's a soccer prodigy, truly. I think it's very important that he get to a top-flite European team as soon as possible. A player of his abilities can only be stifled and held-up in terms of progression in MLS. (Imagine keeping Dunn at AAA until he was 24 or something like that)

Switzerland and France doing their best to bring the tournament to a screeching halt.

Wow, I'm really disappointed with the French coach Domenech's tactics and decisions. Trezeguet is a WORLD-CLASS striker. He should have been paired with Henry from the start. France will be in despair after this game.

There's a rumor that he's got a bit of an inflated head. Though it might just be that he's got a natural genius for the game and he's smart enough not to let his coaches squash it.

I'd really like to see Adu head down to the pro leagues in South America, to a club like Flamengo or Boca juniors. That's the place where he'd be given the chance to let his futbol freak flag fly.

There's a rumor that he's got a bit of an inflated head. Though it might just be that he's got a natural genius for the game and he's smart enough not to let his coaches squash it.

I'd really like to see Adu head down to the pro leagues in South America, to a club like Flamengo or Boca juniors. That's the place where he'd be given the chance to let his futbol freak flag fly.
    It's only natural for a kid his age to have a big head. When people are telling you that you're the next big thing and the Michael Jordan of soccer, it would turn anyone's head.

I know very little about the game but it seems you and WMR have a good point. However it's a problem for soccer here in the U.S. If he stays here and becomes the poster boy for MLS, his skills don't develop. But if he goes to Europe or South America it is a huge indictment on MLS and the game in the U.S. as a whole.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

But if he goes to Europe or South America it is a huge indictment on MLS and the game in the U.S. as a whole.
    I wouldn't take it that way. The best players from all over the world play for clubs in other countries. It's the way the system works. If a kid like Adu goes abroad that just means the U.S. is becoming more involved in the international game. I'd worry more if U.S. players stayed exclusively in MLS. No league or national team is going to improve if it's operating as an island.

Turn Off Ads?