For a Level Playing Field

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Pretty soon this ref will make this game 3-on-3... :thumbdown

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh no oh no, not another red, wow, this ref was bought and paid for

One Man Army

Unreal. Just put a blue jersey on the ref already and get it over with.

One Man Army

That was incredibly exhausting to watch.

I hope Italy goes down in flames.

I am so proud of this team. The adversity this team had to deal with this game, to play like they did, wow, I am so proud. Hard done by the ref, but what a gutsy gutsy performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    That was incredibly exhausting to watch.

I hope Italy goes down in flames.
    Not yet. We need the Italians to win against the Czechs...it is the only realistic way we can advance. we will not get through on a four way goal differential tie, or a three way one for that matter.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Not yet. We need the Italians to win against the Czechs...it is the only realistic way we can advance. we will not get through on a four way goal differential tie, or a three way one for that matter.
    True. But I still wish much ill upon their houses.

Attack Cat!

This game was as good as the Czech game was bad. Just a great, great game. Beat Ghana, Italy beats Czech, and we're through. That's a better scenario then we had any right to expect after the first game.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    True. But I still wish much ill upon their houses.
    Me too, and I was a casual Italy fan coming into this. Now it's just the good ol' U.S. of A., England and Deutschland for me. My homeland and those of my two families; the Italians have been permanently written out of my heart.

What a game! I can only imagine how much better it would have been if the ref had laid of the cards in this game. The Italian foul on McBride was clearly a red card, but I saw little that warranted a yellow, let alone a red in the rest of the game. I can't believe the US got hit with two reds. It appears the Italian penchant for diving is still going strong.

I'm looking forward to the next Group E games. I hope Italy wins the next one, just to give the US a shot at going through, but after that, I hope they bow out quickly.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Hi Guys. Great Game, awful refs (the italians will have their beefs too).

Pleasantly surprised with the US performance. Very gutsy.

The classifying possibilites, however, are not good. The US needs the Italians to win and they really only need to tie. Ghana plays a physical game and is not that good a side, but does make some brilliant plays at times. Won't be easy.

Pope's red card might be a blessing in disguise. He hasn't been effective at all, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Hi Guys. Great Game, awful refs (the italians will have their beefs too).

Pleasantly surprised with the US performance. Very gutsy.

The classifying possibilites, however, are not good. The US needs the Italians to win and they really only need to tie. Ghana plays a physical game and is not that good a side, but does make some brilliant plays at times. Won't be easy.

Pope's red card might be a blessing in disguise. He hasn't been effective at all, IMO.

They may only need a tie to advance, but it is likely they will need a victory to win the group. If that is the case, you'll see Italy go all out, as the second place team from our group will almost certainly meet Brazil in the round of 16.

Needless to say you don't want to face Brazil before the finals if you have designs on winning the whole shooting match like Italy does.

*Edit: Looking at the goal differential, it looks like Italy will almost certainly win the group with a tie. Unfortunately that kinda defeats my above point

Wow. I just watched the game and the US got completely jobbed byt he ref. There really needs to be an automatic video review of all red cards. Both were jokes. As I was watching the game I kept saying to myself that Arena needs to get Pope out of the game after the first Yellow card because the ref was card happy and the way the Italians play I just KNEW another yellow was coming. I really thought that was one of the few times where a pre-emptive substitution to avoid playing a man down was in order. If the Americans could have kept the 11-10 advantage I think they win the game.

The Italians should be hanging their heads in shame after that "performance" today. What a bunch of pansies. I couldn't play a sport like that and feel like I'm accompishing anything. Diving is an embarassment to the sport and to the players. I think it makes them look like fools even if it works. Like others, I lost a lot of respect for Italian soccer today.

I can't believe how good the American team looked with the exception of that one goal. That was horrendous defense on that free kick. The thing I hate about soccer after diving is the whole raising the hand thing when you think you were fouled or that their was a handball, etc... The replay showed one of the American defenders standing there with his hand in the air watching as the Italians scored the goal.

And I'm not suggesting Keller SHOULD have saved that goal, but he sure could have and many keepers would have. He was very slow reacting. He just doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the goal.

But overall, I'll echo the sentiments of others that have said they were proud today. The American team came out today and played their asses off. They played with as much heart as I've ever seen them play.

And I think some might be underestimating just how much Italy WILL NOT want to face Brazil in the first game of the next round. They're about the only team that would have that affect, but I think it will be a strong motivator.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Wow. I just watched the game and the US got completely jobbed byt he ref. There really needs to be an automatic video review of all red cards. Both were jokes. As I was watching the game I kept saying to myself that Arena needs to get Pope out of the game after the first Yellow card because the ref was card happy and the way the Italians play I just KNEW another yellow was coming. I really thought that was one of the few times where a pre-emptive substitution to avoid playing a man down was in order. If the Americans could have kept the 11-10 advantage I think they win the game.

The Italians should be hanging their heads in shame after that "performance" today. What a bunch of pansies. I couldn't play a sport like that and feel like I'm accompishing anything. Diving is an embarassment to the sport and to the players. I think it makes them look like fools even if it works. Like others, I lost a lot of respect for Italian soccer today.

I can't believe how good the American team looked with the exception of that one goal. That was horrendous defense on that free kick. The thing I hate about soccer after diving is the whole raising the hand thing when you think you were fouled or that their was a handball, etc... The replay showed one of the American defenders standing there with his hand in the air watching as the Italians scored the goal.
    And I'm not suggesting Keller SHOULD have saved that goal, but he sure could have and many keepers would have. He was very slow reacting. He just doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the goal.

But overall, I'll echo the sentiments of others that have said they were proud today. The American team came out today and played their asses off. They played with as much heart as I've ever seen them play.

And I think some might be underestimating just how much Italy WILL NOT want to face Brazil in the first game of the next round. They're about the only team that would have that affect, but I think it will be a strong motivator.
    MWM, you probably know this, but he was raising his hand calling for an offsides. Still a pretty dumb plan b/c he was the only one playing the offsides trap on that free kick. Yes, our achilles heel for quite some time has been defending the free kick against physically superior teams.

And yes, I wanted Pope subbed out at halftime too. He was obviously overmatched, and a red waiting to happen although the way he was given it was undeserved and unfair.

The Italians played such cowardly football today. Cowardly is the only word to describe it, their diving was beyond pathetic.

This is the most emotional that I've ever felt concerning a sporting event. I said it earlier but it bears repeating, I am so proud of the effort put in by our boys today. I can't help but wonder where this was on Monday, but I can't dwell on that, I am so frigging proud of them and their effort today against such adversity. LOL, I'm repeating myself, I know, but wow, what emotion I felt today from what they left on the pitch.

I know that's what he was doing. I hate it. PLayers raise their hands 100 times a game. I can't imagine it has any influence on the ref. It's silly and everyone does it.

I agree on the emotion. I couldn't believe how emotional I was about this game. I was watching the game and pausing it as I was going outside to tend to the grill for our cookout today. When Beasley knowcked the ball in the goal, I jumped up and shouted as loud as I could. My daughter has never seen me show this kind of emotion while watching sports (I don't get that emotional watching the Reds), looked at me like I was from outer space. It was devastating when it was called off.

And I also agree on the cowardly play of the Italians. What an embarassment. And it pains me that I have to root for them next game. It will be almost as weird as actually rooting for Mexico to win (I could never, under ANY circumstances root for Iran).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?