Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 55 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I think the US goes 0-3 this Cup. I just can't see them beating either Italy or Ghana.
    Hmm yep if we play like we did today, judging by the effort put forth by Italy and Ghana... hmmm, not looking good. Italy is clearly world class and Ghana put forth a very spirited performance. If we lose to Italy, I don't see us beating Ghana.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Until the better athletes in the US start to play soccer with more regularity as opposed to baseball, basketball, football, the US will NEVER be serious competitors in the world soccer arena.
    Right on. Some radio guy was making that point this morning -- the speed-and-size freaks who play football here would be playing soccer in any other nation playing in the World Cup.

At the risk of another possible hijack, I wonder if the better athletes in the U.S. are all that interested in baseball, either. And I'm not just talking about the lack of young African-American players. Youth baseball is largely an over-organized suburban experience these days. Go to most any high school and pick out the 10 or 20 best athletes, and I bet fewer of them are playing baseball than football or basketball, or even running track.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

One Man Army

Ahhhhhh, the wonders of having 10 Spanish language channels at your disposal.

That Italy-Ghana was even worse than I originally thought. Italy was shoving Ghana's guys all over the pitch and they did it in an annoying, yet somewhat clever way. When they go to throw up their arms to show they weren't engaging in handplay, on the way up they give guys a shove in the back, letting the opposing guy's momentum take care of itself.

It's kind of sneaky, but if the refs even bother to watch the games, they will get nailed more and more for it as the tournament goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Congrats again, btw, on the win today. Wow, if Guus wasn't revered in Australia as a genius b/f, he certainly is now... haha his subs couldn't have turned out any better. Why not start Cahill? His fitness appeared up to the challenge. Very skilled player.

REALLY looking forward to seeing Brazil tomorrow.
    Same questions being asked here. Our local commentators were making that point during the match. They thought the tactics were right but the players weren't. I think Cahill's fitness is not as good as Kewells. He has had some sort of problem in each of the warm up matches. Given his importance I'm happy Guus kept him in reserve and out of the tussle in the first half. The Japanese winger Alex was probably the main reason and also why Wilshire started. Having said that Alex really didn't seem to have the run that maybe Guus expected. He really didn't trouble Wilshire much and by the second half the Japanese looked out on their feet.

BTW - an interesting bit of trivia on the US is that they haven't won a World Cup match in Europe yet. Good luck against the Italians. For us Brazil is big but the Croation match will be a real grudge match. There are actually three of their team who came up through the Australian youth system.

Quote Originally Posted by Outshined_One
    Ahhhhhh, the wonders of having 10 Spanish language channels at your disposal.

That Italy-Ghana was even worse than I originally thought. Italy was shoving Ghana's guys all over the pitch and they did it in an annoying, yet somewhat clever way. When they go to throw up their arms to show they weren't engaging in handplay, on the way up they give guys a shove in the back, letting the opposing guy's momentum take care of itself.

It's kind of sneaky, but if the refs even bother to watch the games, they will get nailed more and more for it as the tournament goes on.
    On that point a comment was made in the Australian match that because its a the World Game some of the refs from the smaller countries may be overawed by the ocassion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Same questions being asked here. Our local commentators were making that point during the match. They thought the tactics were right but the players weren't. I think Cahill's fitness is not as good as Kewells. He has had some sort of problem in each of the warm up matches. Given his importance I'm happy Guus kept him in reserve and out of the tussle in the first half. The Japanese winger Alex was probably the main reason and also why Wilshire started. Having said that Alex really didn't seem to have the run that maybe Guus expected. He really didn't trouble Wilshire much and by the second half the Japanese looked out on their feet.

BTW - an interesting bit of trivia on the US is that they haven't won a World Cup match in Europe yet. Good luck against the Italians. For us Brazil is big but the Croation match will be a real grudge match. There are actually three of their team who came up through the Australian youth system.
    Why are Australians able to play for either Australia or Croatia? How are Australia and Croatia linked? I know that there are several players from Australia who are of Croatian descent (Viduka, could you name the others?) What is the story there?

From all accounts, it will be a grudge match of the highest order. Wonder how Croatia will fare against Brazil tomorrow? Gotta think Brazil will come out guns blazing.

The main reason is by way of heritage. Its the same for playing for England (it happens more often in the cricket).

A lot of the Australians have a Croatian heritage with their parents being postwar migrants or in the case of Jason Culina, his dad came out to play in Australia and ended up staying.

The 3 guys who play for Croatia have dual citizenship. Whilst they were born and grew up in Australia they have Croatian parents. I understand that allows them to pursue Croatian nationalilty. Accordingly, having made that choice they can play for Croatia. Also I understand under FIFA rules that as long as you haven't played a senior match for another country you are free to play for the country of your choice (subject to nationality rules) without any waiting period.

Who on each team had to make such a move?

Of the current Croation squad Joey Didulica, Josip Simunic and Anthony Seric were born and bred in Australia but have adopted Croatian nationality for football purposes.

Of the Australian squad Culina, Viduka, Kalac, Skoko, Popovic and Covic have Croatian heritage. All were born and bred in Australia. Also of interest is Kewell who has English grandparents. He was also approached to play for England early in his career but opted to remain with Australia.

Watched the replay of the Czech-US match last night. All of the comments in here are spot on. What a listless and dispirited performance. This is the World Cup and they looked like they were playing a Tuesday night league game. I see more spirit in the Sunday pickup game here at the park with all the Mexicans.

FWIW, my daughter's club team has a Brazilian trainer and teaches them style and flair (along with solid fundementals). He does it for the whole club.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    The US MNT took a 16 year step backwards today. Absolutely pathetic. I have never seen a team place so lifelessly in such a huge match. Bruce Arena has taken this team as far as he can. We need new blood, and it's a shame Gus Hiddink is going to the Russians. He is exactly what the USSF needs at the helm of this program!
    The guy I'd like to see the U.S. pluck for the job is coaching Trinidad and Tobago -- Leo Beenhaker.

Wily Mo, I'm not saying Pope made a good player on Koller, clearly he didn't (the big man made him look like a child). Yet at least he marked the man and attempted to make a stop. Can you explain to me what Onyewu was doing on that play?

As for who to replace Onyewu with (because somebody has to replace him), I was under the impression that Bocanegra is more of an outer player. Conrad makes consistently good decisions and he's probably the most ferocious defender the team has got. I'm all for a total turnover on the backline after yesterday's game. Put Conrad and Berhalter in the middle with Bocanegra and Albright on the flanks.

I'm with you on Friedel. If the team wasn't going to be throw in behind the up-and-comer, Howard, then Friedel's proven himself the nation's top big game veteran. I agree that Keller doesn't seem to have the spectacular save in him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

This is a bit off point but whither Freddy Adu? Is he not old enough? Injured? Not scrappy enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I agree that Keller doesn't seem to have the spectacular save in him.
    The Manny Legace of soccer keepers. You feel comfy with him until the game is on the worlds stage, then it's the back of the mind issue and that can't be conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The Manny Legace of soccer keepers. You feel comfy with him until the game is on the worlds stage, then it's the back of the mind issue and that can't be conquered.
    I'm not sure what he could've done yesterday. Nobody could've stopped those first two goals for the Czechs.

I've seen teams playing pickup games in the local park expend more effort then the US did yesterday. Lazy, slow and uninspired -- definitely the worst performance so far in this world cup.

This type of performance is not unprecidented, though. In the 2002 World Cup, the US got thrashed by Poland, 3-1, and was fortunate to make it through to the knockout stage.

And now Reyna and Donovan are playing the blame game. Tossing the newcomers under the bus, saying they weren't 'ready'. Arena knocked Beasley and Donovan. I'm curious to see what Arena comes up with for the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I'm not sure what he could've done yesterday. Nobody could've stopped those first two goals for the Czechs.

I've seen teams playing pickup games in the local park expend more effort then the US did yesterday. Lazy, slow and uninspired -- definitely the worst performance so far in this world cup.

This type of performance is not unprecidented, though. In the 2002 World Cup, the US got thrashed by Poland, 3-1, and was fortunate to make it through to the knockout stage.

And now Reyna and Donovan are playing the blame game. Tossing the newcomers under the bus, saying they weren't 'ready'. Arena knocked Beasley and Donovan. I'm curious to see what Arena comes up with for the next game.
    That's horrible leadership from Reyna and Donovan considering they deserve to be under that bus as much as anyone. Reyna did little more than pass backwards yesterday and watch Czech players rush past him when he was supposed to be playing defense. Donovan did an invisible man imitation.

Arena will never bench Reyna (IMO he should because the guy can't play at World Cup tempo) because of their history together. If Donovan plays another game yesterday I assume he'll be on the bench against Ghana (Beasley fits that category too).

As for the first two goals, if Pope and Onyewu sandwich Koller on that first one, then the Czech probably wouldn't have been able to head the ball with such authority. On the second goal, Rosicky doesn't score if Onyewu doesn't put the ball right on his foot in a spot where he can take a free blast at the net.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?