Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 816

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

  1. #796
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Imagine Michael Jordan in his last game, with the score tied in overtime, knocking out his defender with a punch to the throat.
    If that happened, a foul would be called on the defender for getting in Jordan's way.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #797
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    4,226

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Zidane violated one of the cardinal rules of any team sport ... don't screw your teammates by losing your cool on the field. If another player says something completely out of line, you suck it up and keep playing and then settle the matter via a postgame ass-whooping.

  4. #798
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,663

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Zidane violated one of the cardinal rules of any team sport ... don't screw your teammates by losing your cool on the field. If another player says something completely out of line, you suck it up and keep playing and then settle the matter via a postgame ass-whooping.
    Exactly. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Think Italy did not know Zidane's history of losing his cool and doing something stupid? You better believe they knew and they knew he could end the thing with one header or one kick (I mean the proper way to use your head in a game of soccer). Does not make it okay to say bad things, but it also does not give Zidane the right to do something stupid and foolish either. And look who looked foolish after it was all said and done... Mr. Zidane as Italy held the trophy up high and celebrated.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  5. #799
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Exactly. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Think Italy did not know Zidane's history of losing his cool and doing something stupid? You better believe they knew and they knew he could end the thing with one header or one kick (I mean the proper way to use your head in a game of soccer). Does not make it okay to say bad things, but it also does not give Zidane the right to do something stupid and foolish either. And look who looked foolish after it was all said and done... Mr. Zidane as Italy held the trophy up high and celebrated.
    Add to that, we don't really know what was said, other than Mattarazzi confirming that it was an insult.

    Professional soccer really came out looking bad from this WC; constant diving, whiny coaches, poor enforcement of the rules and topped off with one of the stars of the game completely losing his cool due to some on-field trash talking.

    Right after this happened, I told friends of mine that Zidane would either apologize or play the race card. So far, though, he's said nothing.

  6. #800
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Lippi resigned his position as Italy's coach.
    Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach. (To return to his family in the US. I wonder if he'll be the next US coach?)

  7. #801
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,317

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Being familiar with Materazzi's career as I am, the only thing I think Zidane did wrong was aim too low.

    Materazzi is a low-grade thug, and if evidence comes out that he did abuse Zidane with racial or ethnic epithets, then in my opinion he should be stripped of his winner's medal (not punishing the entire Italian team) and banned for life.

  8. #802
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Being familiar with Materazzi's career as I am, the only thing I think Zidane did wrong was aim too low.

    Materazzi is a low-grade thug, and if evidence comes out that he did abuse Zidane with racial or ethnic epithets, then in my opinion he should be stripped of his winner's medal (not punishing the entire Italian team) and banned for life.
    Zidane doesn't have a stellar history, either.

  9. #803
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Seems to be much ado about nothing...

    Materazzo and Zizou Speak Out
    Wednesday 12 July, 2006

    Both Marco Materazzi and Zinedine Zidane have given their side of the story leading up to the disgraceful head-butt in the World Cup Final.

    Words were exchanged between the players before the Frenchman violently struck Materazzi in the chest. Lip-readers have been unable to clarify exactly what was said.

    “I want to ask forgiveness from all the children who watched that. There was no excuse for it,” said Zidane this evening.

    “I want to be open and honest about it because it was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children were watching. I won’t repeat exactly what was said, but it was very personal and concerned my mother and sister."

    However, Materazzi has also spoken out against claims his provocation was enough to warrant punishment from FIFA.

    “I said nothing that had anything to do with racism, religion or politics,” the defender told the Gazzetta dello Sport. “I didn’t even mention his mother. I lost my mother at the age of 15 and to this day am still moved to tears talking about her.”

    There were suggestions in the world’s media that Zidane was infuriated by an alleged comment because his mother is currently battling a serious illness.

    “Naturally, I had no idea Zidane’s mother was in hospital. I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery. As for Zidane, he has always been my hero and I admire him a great deal.”

    The Frenchman was sent off in extra time for that head-butt and could now be stripped of his Golden Ball award as Player of the Tournament. A FIFA investigation has begun into the incident.

  10. #804
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,442

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread


  11. #805
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    1,002

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Lippi resigned his position as Italy's coach.
    Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach. (To return to his family in the US. I wonder if he'll be the next US coach?)
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but in his retirement announcement he stated that he had not been offered the US job.

  12. #806
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,042

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but in his retirement announcement he stated that he had not been offered the US job.

    .......yet.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  13. #807
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but in his retirement announcement he stated that he had not been offered the US job.
    Arena's still the coach. Until they come to a decision on his future, I doubt they'll be naming a successor. But it's been rumored, so I threw it out there.

  14. #808
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Arena's contract runs out at the end of the year and it's not going to be renewed.

    Seeing that Klinsmann's a free agent and he lives in the U.S., I assume he's become the top candidate to take over when Arena steps down.

    As for Materazzi and Zidane, I don't think anyone should be stripped of anything. Zidane was wrong to throw the headbutt regardless of what Materazzi said and Materazzi clearly said something vile to draw the blow and is now lying through his teeth about it. I don't think official FIFA action is needed to sort out those rather obvious truths.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  15. #809
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Want more scoring? Two words...No Goalkeepers.
    Hey, that's what France did.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  16. #810
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    As for Materazzi and Zidane, I don't think anyone should be stripped of anything. Zidane was wrong to throw the headbutt regardless of what Materazzi said and Materazzi clearly said something vile to draw the blow and is now lying through his teeth about it. I don't think official FIFA action is needed to sort out those rather obvious truths.
    Could you imagine if the NBA or NFL opened an inquiry after every trash-talking incident? This world cup provided further evidence that most soccer players are drama queens.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25