Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

I like the South American idea, M2. Go there for a few years then a major European club.

I don't view it as an indictment of MLS. MLS is the best thing that ever happened to U.S. Soccer. It's just that MLS can only take you so far. Look at MLS like they're a double-A league in baseball. Before MLS, the only players who got a chance to play professionally were those who were either good enough to go straight to the majors and skip the minors (VERY rare) or showed enough innate ability that one of the major european teams would take the youngster into their youth development system (every major team has their own youth development teams and camps). MLS is the conduit that has allowed the players who couldn't make the jump directly the chance to play soccer as a profession and try to either stake out a spot on the National Team here in America or improve to the point where they can make that AA jump to the 'Big Leagues.'

Freddy is somewhat of a special case in that he is WAYYY ahead of the curve. He signed with MLS, I believe, when he was 14. Now he's 17. MLS has been good for Freddy in his young career, but it is near-time for him to take the next step. I love M2's novel approach of going to South America. His flair and creativity and ideas would only improve in such an environment. He could become the #10 that we have desperately needed. European tactical abilities with South American flair? That could be a potent combination when combined with Freddy's innate abilities and intelligence on the pitch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    He's a soccer prodigy, truly. I think it's very important that he get to a top-flite European team as soon as possible. A player of his abilities can only be stifled and held-up in terms of progression in MLS. (Imagine keeping Dunn at AAA until he was 24 or something like that)
    Here's a question. Having lived in Europe and experienced the fans over there first hand, and with all the talk about racism among European fans toward African and dark-skinned European players, would it be possible for the MLS to make a concerted effort to woo some of this top-flight talent, or would the transfer fees be too much of a financial burden for the league?

You'll have to forgive me because I haven't been able to follow soccer as much as I used to, so I may not be up on current trends in US Soccer and the MLS. It seems to me like the league would be better served by going after talented young African players than seeking out over-the-hill Euros who want to make a few more bucks before retirement. Would the lure of endorsement contracts and the lack of an overtly racist fan base be enough to attract these guys?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    There's a rumor that he's got a bit of an inflated head. Though it might just be that he's got a natural genius for the game and he's smart enough not to let his coaches squash it.

I'd really like to see Adu head down to the pro leagues in South America, to a club like Flamengo or Boca juniors. That's the place where he'd be given the chance to let his futbol freak flag fly.
    Arena addressed this a few times before the final roster was selected. He didn't want to bring a 16-year-old (now 17) player to the World Cup. He thinks that Freddy is a great talent, and has a fine future ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Here's a question. Having lived in Europe and experienced the fans over there first hand, and with all the talk about racism among European fans toward African and dark-skinned European players, would it be possible for the MLS to make a concerted effort to woo some of this top-flight talent, or would the transfer fees be too much of a financial burden for the league?

You'll have to forgive me because I haven't been able to follow soccer as much as I used to, so I may not be up on current trends in US Soccer and the MLS. It seems to me like the league would be better served by going after talented young African players than seeking out over-the-hill Euros who want to make a few more bucks before retirement. Would the lure of endorsement contracts and the lack of an overtly racist fan base be enough to attract these guys?
    Interesting question b/c yes, racism is definitely a big problem in Europe. The truly top-flite African talent would be expensive, no doubt. The J-League (The Japanese League) has become infamous for bringing young Brazilians to their league, I think mining the African talent, so to speak, could only help raise the overall talent level of MLS. The racism is worst in Spain, and they have relatively few (almost none) black players. But yeah, there are plenty of leagues where racism is a big problem. Many of the top-flite Africans go to the EPL where it's virtually nonexistent. Also, yeah me too, not sure how much cash MLS has for seeking out such transfers. I'd take an Eto'o over a Beckham though anyday. lol, wishful thinking that, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    IMO, Freddy is already probably our most inventive player.
    Adu's no Li'l Lee Nguwen

Kaka is flashing some star power. Ronaldinho went into the tournament as the nominal world's best player, but I won't be surprised if Kaka emerges from the Cup with that title.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I just don't see anyone beating Brazil. This year's team is stronger than the 2002 one, IMO and they are just play a different game than anyone else. They didn't dominate today, but they're just too good. I can't see them losing. I wish I didn't loathe them so much because they are sure fun to watch.

I was really impressed with Croatia today. They looked strong and I think can play with just about anyone. They've been one of the better teams thus far.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I just don't see anyone beating Brazil. This year's team is stronger than the 2002 one, IMO and they are just play a different game than anyone else. They didn't dominate today, but they're just too good. I can't see them losing. I wish I didn't loathe them so much because they are sure fun to watch.

I was really impressed with Croatia today. They looked strong and I think can play with just about anyone. They've been one of the better teams thus far.
    Croatia has surprised me again, they always seem to have world class 32 year old types.

But I agree on Brazil, they move the ball to well to lose without being their own worst enemy.

I think if France - Switzerland had gone to PKs they would have finished 0-0..... a lot of wide open goals missed today by both teams.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Croatia impressed me too.

I pretty much root for the Brazilians. I figure the folks who play the game so much better than everyone else deserve to win. They're certainly the most fun to watch. It sure beats the snot out of watching teams spend 90 minutes trying to take the air out of the ball.

Plus, I used to date a few Brazilian women, makes it easy to root for the national side.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I pretty much root for the Brazilians. I figure the folks who play the game so much better than everyone else deserve to win. They're certainly the most fun to watch. It sure beats the snot out of watching teams spend 90 minutes trying to take the air out of the ball.
    It's more of a South American soccer thing for me. Yes, they're better than everyone else, but they play dirty, IMO...at least dirtier than anyone else. And most importantly they invented and perfected the art of the dive. I hate the dive more than I hate the DH or a sac bunt in the first inning. It's the single worst thing about soccer and they get more calls on dives than anyone else. Sometime last decade I built up a strong dislike for theSouth American teams in the world cup and it's stuck.

It's more of a South American soccer thing for me. Yes, they're better than everyone else, but they play dirty, IMO...at least dirtier than anyone else. And most importantly they invented and perfected the art of the dive. I hate the dive more than I hate the DH or a sac bunt in the first inning. It's the single worst thing about soccer and they get more calls on dives than anyone else. Sometime last decade I built up a strong dislike for theSouth American teams in the world cup and it's stuck.
    For me, the Germans have always been the world's great dive artists. Get within two feet of them and they fall like they've been mortally wounded (note how quickly Frings recovered from supposedly having his leg ripped asunder in the team's opening game - and why didn't he have to leave the field when the stretcher came out?).

I agree that the Argentines dive a lot, but the Brazilians usually want to make you look foolish with an amazing play and they can't do that if they flop around. Zico used to flop, but more recent Brazilian teams have played a much sturdier style. Rivaldo (one of my two favorite players of the past 20 years with Luis Enrique) was a tank with the ball at his feet. Though to be fair, Rivaldo did a masterful acting job against the Turks during the last cup on a play near the corner.

You mean the 'nut-ball'? LOL, yes me too, Rivaldo is one of my all-time favorite players. The guy was made of steel and had such a predatory nose for goal. I felt Parreira really should have given him more of a look for this squad. He would have been an excellent late-minute sub vs. Croatia.

Ronaldo appeared totally out of it, although he did not look fat like he did w/ Real Madrid, just out of it. Wonder if Parreira will give him another start in their next game; probably.

Ronaldinho was stifled by the Croatians. The Croatians played wonderfully. Their game vs. Australia will be one of the better game of the 1st round. Few teams I've seen so far are capable of playing with the Brazilians nearly as well as the Croatians did today.

This current Brazil squad really doesn't have many divers. Argentina? Uruguay? Their diving is still legendary, but yeah, as someone else said, while Brazil will take the foul if you give them the opportunity, they are much more mindful of beating you with their skill, ability, passing, vision, and lethal finishing.

It was a tough goal to give up today for Croatia. It was their one defensive lapse. The two guys right next to Kaka looked like they were completely taken by surprise that he would take the shot. I watched it a couple of times and he should not have gotten that shot off cleanly. And the goalie was way out of position. He was in the center of the goal while the ball was on the left side of the box. The ball had some hook on it, but it was still a few feet inside the post. It was a good shot, but the keeper really should have stopped it. But the Brazilians don't miss a lot of opportunities they get.

I hope Croatia advances.

Bring on Monday - Brazil may get a shock.

As for Croatia I believe that they have the kind of play that is perfect for the Aussies to combat. Up the middle which is where the Aussie defence is stronger.

We'll probably struggle against the Brazilians as they have pace and skill on the wings which our wide defenders struggle with.

As for the MLS v European debate. The European leagues are still the best for day in and day out competition, both within the club and in the league. I think the issue MLS has is that rather than developing the home grown talent an then allowing them to go overseas, because of the transfer fees being paid its turned into more of a retirement league. You only need a few marquee players with the rest of the roster made up of young US talent. It gives them seasoning - The really good ones will progress on to Europe.

Turn Off Ads?