Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    But I love the Netherlands. I became big fans of theirs during the '98 Cup (even before the famous Bergkamp goal). I thought they were the best team I saw that year and was disappointed they lost to Brazil in penalty kicks in the semi-finals. But boy were they fun to watch that year. I've rooted for them ever since.

I've been rooting for the Orange guys ever since Cruyff and Neeskens made their magic in Germany '74. They SO deserved to win that cup, but home field advantage prevailed.

They did not look good today, however.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Just one question about the Netherlands... Have the numbers on their jerseys always looked like a schoolboy drew them on with a big Sharpie?
    IMHO the worst shirts in the tournament belong to Costa Rica. It looks like some guy made them in his basement with a box of Hanes undershirts and a paint by numbers kit.

Geez, someone wake me up when Angola and Mexico is over. What a boring game. And what a bonehead move buy that Angolan player to get a red card towards the end of the game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Oh yeah, the ref for the Dutch- Ivory Coast game was terrible. The Yellow to Robben was pretty bad, but diving is such a problem that it's going to happen from time to time. And the card to Dogba was pretty bad too and that might have been costly had Ivory Coast pulled the game out.

The line from the day was when Tommy Smith said, "This ref needs to wake up. I mean, when you get out of bed in the morning you're supposed to be awake."
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Geez, someone wake me up when Angola and Mexico is over. What a boring game. And what a bonehead move buy that Angolan player to get a red card towards the end of the game.
    Angola is a very weak team and Mexico did little to justify its status as Group Seed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Angola is a very weak team and Mexico did little to justify its status as Group Seed.
    What's frighteneing is that the USA would likely have been seeded if Mexico were not. Geesh, CONCACAF is looking shaky.

'Shaky' is being kind.

U.S.: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put in a respectable performance VS. Italy today.

Wow, the US didn't even get a good shot off in 90+ minutes against the Czech Republic and Ghana scores in just over a minute.

Who are we rooting for here?

Oh we need a Ghana result in the worst way. A Czech Republic win means we definitely need a win vs. Italy and must then have Czech Republic beat Italy as well. A Ghana win or tie allows a tie vs. the Italians to allow us to keep some hope going into the final match.

A Ghana win would be the best.

This Czech-Ghana game is turning out to be one of the best games we've seen so far. There's something about these African teams (Angola excepted) that makes their games exciting to watch.

the way it's going I'd be shocked if the zechs don't score.

Ghana just went up 2-0. This is a good game.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Ghana just went up 2-0. This is a good game.

A great game. I wondered if Ghana was going to get the second breakthrough against Cech. He was an absolute beast in goal. Just way too much pressure though. Ghana with an amazing game really.

The Czech Rep. is not a young team. I wish the US would have played them second game. They just don't look as dynamic, and I very much think, in part, that is a function of age and fatigue.

Excellent stuff from Ghana, dominating every facet of teh match. They should have won by more, but Cech proved that he is the best keeper in the world today. He made some spectacular saves down the stretch.

Wow what a game between Ghana and Czech Republic, highly entertaining and spectacular saves. I didn't think Ghana would ever get a second goal then their goalie had some sweet saves in the final minutes as well.

Can't wait for the US to kick off!
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Dude, Ghana is going to demolish the US. It won't even be close.

Turn Off Ads?