Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Dude, Ghana is going to demolish the US. It won't even be close.
    Might I ask why you think this? Looking over the roster, I don't see how their roster is overwhelmingly better then ours outside of Essien. We're talking about a team that crashed out of the African Cup of Nations in the first round, losing to such football giants as Togo and Zimbabwe.

They played a great match, and the the US looked terrible against the same team, but lets not go overboard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The U.S. can match up with Ghana much better than the Czech Republic. The athletic Ghana side severely exposed a depleted and--now--tired Czech Republic defense.

We can actually run with them.

Our biggest deficiency will be in midfield. We have no one of Chelsea man Michael Essien's technical ability or class.

The good thing is that a couple Ghana men will be unavailable for the U.S. match.

The bad thing is that I'll be surprised if Gooch gets out of the Italy game unscathed (already carrying a yellow). Also, Claudio, arguably our most important player, carries a yellow into the Italy match as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Making any argument that the US is more talented than either the Italians or the Black Stars is a waste of time: we aren't.

However, if we stay organized, get stuck in, and maybe catch some luck along the way we can get four points and get through. It's not impossible.

Arena staying with 4-5-1 (effectively) and leaving out Johnson makes life more difficult. Personally I would have utilized a 3-5-2, bringing Bocanegra into the side with Onyewu and Pope--that way we can avoid the greatest weakness in the side (terrible fullbacks) and hopefully get some purchase in midfield.

I am not confident, though, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    The bad thing is that I'll be surprised if Gooch gets out of the Italy game unscathed (already carrying a yellow). Also, Claudio, arguably our most important player, carries a yellow into the Italy match as well.
    The early card to Gooch in the first match was an absolute killer, no doubt. There is simply no replacement for him in the middle defence. I hope he can keep his cool and get through this match clean also. Unfortunately, keeping a cool head is not something he is known for.

Aargh, still no Eddie Johnson, I hate the 4-5-1
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Making any argument that the US is more talented than either the Italians or the Black Stars is a waste of time: we aren't.

However, if we stay organized, get stuck in, and maybe catch some luck along the way we can get four points and get through. It's not impossible.

Arena staying with 4-5-1 (effectively) and leaving out Johnson makes life more difficult. Personally I would have utilized a 3-5-2, bringing Bocanegra into the side with Onyewu and Pope--that way we can avoid the greatest weakness in the side (terrible fullbacks) and hopefully get some purchase in midfield.

I am not confident, though, to be honest.
    I would never, EVER make the arguement that the US is more talented then Italy, or Ghana for that matter. I think talent-wise a good argument can be made that the US equals Ghana though.

I don't like the changes made either frankly. I think Bocanegra has lost one step too many, that Mastroeni needs benched, and that Johnson needs to get in the lineup. I would play O'Brien and Reyna in the middle, with Donovan and Convey out wide, with Johnson and McBride up front. What do I know though. Go USA!

Wow, that was one flagrant foul by the Italian player.

Red card. Match not even a 1/3 over and now italy must play with 10 guys..

score tied 1 - 1.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

A ridiculous red card on Mastroeni! I am rage filled at the moment. The Azzuri are world class divers. I had an Italia Calcio shirt until 15 minutes ago; now it is ripped into little pieces at the bottom of my trash can. I'll probably regret that in the morning, but man did it feel good.

One Man Army

This ref has been atrocious. He's calling all the Italian dives and not giving the US much room for error. That last red card was utter garbage.

Donovan has been sloppy in the box. He's making dumb passes and not keeping track of the ball. Pope needs to knock it off with the handplay and the screwups on defense.

Convey and Dempsey have been doing a very nice job so far, happily. Toti getting subbed out was a welcome move.

For that ridiculus red card against Mastroeni, I think we need to take a page out of the Juventus playbook and lock the referee in the dressing room.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Ridculous red card on Pablo -- and the worst part is, the U.S. was looking fantastic with the man advantage.

Maybe if Donnovan starts falling and clutching his ankle more, the Americans can get a couple free kicks and score a goal or two off some set pieces.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Good first half. I'm waiting for the German Oom pa pa marching band to come on the field
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Ridculous red card on Pablo -- and the worst part is, the U.S. was looking fantastic with the man advantage.

Maybe if Donnovan starts falling and clutching his ankle more, the Americans can get a couple free kicks and score a goal or two off some set pieces.
    Notice that McBride was just walking after HE WAS ELBOWED AND BLEEDING. Half of the Italian team acts like you shot them in the shin if you come within five feet of them. Heck, they act that way after they foul you! I used to cheer for the Azzuri, but never again. I now understand why so much of the world hates them...you really feel it when your team is the one getting the shaft.

Aaargh, gotta hand it to the Italians, they are world-class divers. That red on Mastroeni was such crap. Damn. Alright, Italians will come out strong starting 2nd half, weather the early storm and let's get a goal.

One Man Army

If the US cared about soccer, this ref would never be allowed into the country.

Turn Off Ads?