Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

WMP everyone here is hoping Kewell doesn't get banned but most people think he was justified in his criticism. I mean the worst he supposedly said was that the guys performance was "f***ing s***". And most people would agree. The foul count was 29-9 against, I mean the Aussies were given two read cards due to collisions, and Viduka was basically taken out of the match by the referee. Supposedly Guus was almost sent into the stands by the fourth official for throwing his water bottle to the ground.

Good luck v Ghana and more importantly hope that the Czechs lose to the Italians.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gooch is 24, he'll continue to improve. After his poor first cap against Mexico in Azteca, he was an absolute rock in the middle for the rest of qualifying. His marks didn't score a single goal that I can remember after his first cap. His staredown with Borghetti in the USA Mexico rematch in Columbus is one of the best moments of the USA Mexico rivalry.

With respect to your opinion, he is the best defender the US has right now, and is set to be their best defender ever. Watch the Italian breakaway right after the De Rossi red card. It is only Gooch's perfect positioning that prevents an easy goal. Unlike Pope or Mastroeni, he adjusted to how the game was being called, stopped grabbing, remained effective, and didn't get the card that would disqualify him for Ghana.

Rumors put him with either Middlesbrough or Reading in the EPL next season where his development should continue.

With regards to Eddie Johnson, he played 83 minutes in the final tune-up, and I haven't heard anything about him being injured. I have to assume it's just been Arena's decision to keep him out of the lineup

Looks like Kewell is cleared to play against Croatia on Thursday.

If they take 2nd in the group they would likely face Italy in the round of 16, which makes me a big Australia fan!

Bad news for England as Owen crawls off the field in the first minute of play. I didn't see the injury, but from what I've read, it sounds serious (knee).

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Bad news for England as Owen crawls off the field in the first minute of play. I didn't see the injury, but from what I've read, it sounds serious (knee).
    Figures that Rooney and Owen couldn't play at the same time. Huge blow to England.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Figures that Rooney and Owen couldn't play at the same time. Huge blow to England.
    Bad news, indeed:

Owen injures knee after two minutes on field against Sweden

June 20, 2006

COLOGNE, Germany (AP) -- England striker Michael Owen was injured two minutes into the World Cup match against Sweden on Tuesday and taken off on a stretcher.

Owen's right knee buckled beneath him just after he had played the ball. He lay on the sideline clutching his leg while play continued. He was treated by doctors and then strapped to a stretcher and taken off the field.

He was replaced by Peter Crouch in the fourth minute, tying the fastest replacement in a World Cup match.

Owen returned last month from a broken foot sustained on Dec. 31. He had been replaced before the hour mark in England's opening two World Cup games.

England has already qualified for the second round and only needed a draw with Sweden to advance as Group B winner.

The substitution tied Italy's Alessandro Nesta coming out in the fourth minute against Austria in 1998, and England's Bryan Robson came out in the fourth against Morocco in 1986

Even with that setback England should make it through to the quarters as they play Ecuador who were pretty poor against Germany.

I'm still hoping the Czech Republic top the group so the Aussies could play them with Italy facing Brazil.

The noose just tightened around Mexico. They're down 2-1 to the Portugese, they missed a penalty kick, lost a man to a second yellow card and Angola just scored to take a 1-0 lead against Iran.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Not to mention they're a bunch of diving hacks.

I REALLY hope they get Argentina if they do manage to advance. A team that is not only much more skilled than they are, but better at diving as well. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The noose just tightened around Mexico. They're down 2-1 to the Portugese, they missed a penalty kick, lost a man to a second yellow card and Angola just scored to take a 1-0 lead against Iran.
    Good. I can't stand Mexico. One of the dirtiest teams on the planet.

Edit: and as I say that, Iran ties up the game, 1-1

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Good. I can't stand Mexico. One of the dirtiest teams on the planet.

Edit: and as I say that, Iran ties up the game, 1-1
    Yeah, looks like they're through.

On the bright side, that's the first non-European or South American team to make the knockout stages.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Argentina will obliterate the Mexicans.

They haven't broke through on the Dutch yet, but it's pretty clear that this Argentina squad is scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds
    They haven't broke through on the Dutch yet, but it's pretty clear that this Argentina squad is scary good.
    They look great, though the Dutch are resting some pretty good players on the bench due to yellow cards, including Arjan Robben.

I don't think you can take much from the Netherlands Argentina game as they both really looked at it as a training match. Both Crespo and Robben were rested along with some other first teamers. I gather the Dutch are happy to play Portugal in the next round. Even so all ready for a very early start tomorrow morning.

Turn Off Ads?