Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

NUREMBURG, Germany -- Perhaps there was some sort of communication gap. Perhaps something was lost in the dialect. Or perhaps there is no such thing as a bulletin board in the West African nation of Ghana.

Whatever the case, the Ghana Black Stars soccer team paraded into this city's Franken Stadium on Wednesday, the eve of its Group E showdown with the United States, beaming with confidence.

In the news conference before the team's final workout, coach Ratomir Dujkovic and captain Stephen Appiah seemingly spent as much time talking about Brazil, a potential second-round opponent, as they did the United States. And when they finally did get around to discussing the Americans, it was in a way only New York headline writers could appreciate.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...t&lid=tab2pos1

Interesting article. I'm sure Arena won't fail to emphasize some of the quotes at this presser.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Talk about supplying motivation to your opponent. The U.S. doesn't seem to be a group of self-starters, but I'm guessing this will get their juices flowing.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I can't believe I'm not going to be able to watch the US game tomorrow or have any means of recording it. That realy blows!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

ddp
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

One Man Army

I really do hope you guys were watching The Colbert Report tonight.

"The last time Ronaldo scored was when he got a Grand Slam at Denny's!"

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    I don't think you can take much from the Netherlands Argentina game as they both really looked at it as a training match. Both Crespo and Robben were rested along with some other first teamers. I gather the Dutch are happy to play Portugal in the next round. Even so all ready for a very early start tomorrow morning.
    Yeah I wrote my message early in the match after a fine run of Argentine play. Afterwards everybody just. kinda. stopped. playing.

Clearly it was a conspiracy to make me look bad!

Thanks for Outshined the Colbert Report tip, have it TiVo'd as usual.

Here's hoping the stars and stripes can continue a fine run of sports results over the past few days!

Attack Cat!

I didn't see this lineup coming.

essentially the same 4-1-4-1 with Eddie Lewis replacing Mastroeni. Still no Johnson, only McBride up front.

Given the feeble offensive performance so far, I can't imagine why you stick with the same lineup structure. McBride just isn't enough alone up front to create pressure.

Ahh well. go USA!

/Edit: It's even stranger then that, it looks like Reyna is the defensive midfield with Lewis on the flank, beasley in the middle, if the ESPN formation is right.

Ghana takes a 1-0 lead 21 minutes in.

I'm not watching, but based on the matchtracker that I'm watching, it also sounds like Reyna is hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I'm not watching, but based on the matchtracker that I'm watching, it also sounds like Reyna is hurt.
    I am not able to watch but listening on XM Reyna was hurt on the play where they scored the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    He's back, the US is sleepy... they just don't move the ball down the field very well.

Italy leads 1-0

Italy has a 1-0 lead 29 minutes in. A USA win and Italy win puts the US into the next round.

Seemed like the Czech's were getting the better of the play, but Italy nets the goal. They've also lost their best defender, Nesta, to a groin injury.

Edit: Oddly enough, it's Nesta's replacement, Materazzi, that scores the goal.

Reyna is coming out of the game now.

Ben Olsen in for Reyna.

What happened on the challenge that led to his injury? Was it a clean tackle, because it led to the goal being scored.

In any event, it's probably the end of Reyna's US career, unless the US can comeback and win this game.

Turn Off Ads?