Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

I wish Zidane would lower himself to spend 3-4 seasons in MLS.

They showed what I assume is his good buddy, the French dude who plays for New York Red Bull and was a former big-time French International.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Brazil looked bored until about the last 10 minutes.

Oh man, Zidane is so freaking awesome. Even with his loss of a few steps he's still one of the best in the world. I'm going to miss that guy. He absolutely put on a clinic of how to control a game from the midfield today. He's something special and I hate to see him go.
    He is a player of the highest class and quality who is playing for his "soccer life" and inspiring his teammates in the process. He is a perfect example of a leader on the field. He controlled this game; this game against a very strong Brazilian squad.

Judging by the way France has played in the elimination rounds, I think they have to be the favorites to win it all at this point, but the German home field advantage might be tough to overcome. My guess is we'll se a France - Germany final.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Judging by the way France has played in the elimination rounds, I think they have to be the favorites to win it all at this point, but the German home field advantage might be tough to overcome. My guess is we'll se a France - Germany final.
    As much as I despise their style of play, I wouldn't count Italy out.
    Germany won the cup when Italy hosted, it would be interesting if Italy won in Germany.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I have no problem with SGE . It doesn't matter who's in charge of the national team they will get battered by the English press whatever. Did Portugal deserve to advance ?

I hope in future England throw themselves around after being fouled and try and get other players sent off.

I did think Rooney deserved the Red.

Will put some pics up later.

It raises an interesting question. As an American (or anyone else whose team has been eliminated), who do you root for to make the final?

Germany? - The home team. I think many Americans might have problems rooting for them, having been raised on films that portray Germans as heel-clicking fascists. However, they've played well in this World Cup and actually appear to enjoy themselves. (Full Disclosure Notice: Being of ethnic German extraction, I've been pulling for them along with England behind the USA).

Italy? - Grrrrrrr! Normally, Americans have a natural affinity towards Italians. We love Italian food. Unlike the Germans and French, the Italians have often supported the US politically. Italians culturally seem much more gregarious than the Germans or French. However, the Italians play a most cynical style of soccer that just doesn't play well in the US. They have no problems commiting hard fouls when it's to their benefit, but if the other team so much as breaths on them, they fall on the ground and roll around like they've been shot. I can't stand that style of play.

Portugal? - See Italy above. Add to that the fact that one of their star players, Christian Ronaldo, has those boyish good looks that appeal to preteen girls but just annoys everyone else.

France? - Once again, Americans just don't like the French, mainly because it seems like the French don't like us. Many Americans resent that because they feel like the US saved their behinds two World Wars. But then, yesterday's play against Brazil seemed truly inspired, especially Zidane. Also, many of their players are children of immigrants, just like Americans. And just look at Zidane and Barthez. Couldn't you just imagine them dressed up as French Resistance, harkening back to a time when the US and French got along?

IMO - the best match-up from a football perspective is Germany v. France. If both teams play at their best, we'll see a great game. Germany has played well throughout the tournament and France has really come on as of late. If not both, one of these teams will hopefully make the final to give me someone to root for.

The worst match-up: Italy v. Portugal. FIFA sent out a message that it would not tolerate dirty play or diving, characteristic of both of these teams. The sad thing is, both teams have talented players who shouldn't need to resort to those tactics. We want to see games won and lost by the players on the field, with little involvement from the ref. But these two teams, from what I've seen, play as though they actually want the ref to decide it. Even if they have their man beat, they almost seem more willing to dive in an attempt to draw a PK rather than take an honest shot themselves.

On a side note. I was really hoping that England would advance, but based on what I saw yesterday, they didn't deserve to. Even though he made a huge mistake, Rooney seemed like one of the few players interested in getting the ball in the vicinity of the goal. If there is one brand of football I hate almost as much as the foul and dive approach, it's the tentative "pass it around the backfield" approach. When a team gets the ball, I want to see them pushing it immediately to the midfield in order create mismatches on offense. I want to see quick, long passes that stretch the field and create open space. I hate it when a team gets the ball and slows it down with short, back-and-forth passes. It lets the other team get back and set up its defense. It causes the traffic jams to occur at midfield and kills any kind of excitement from the game.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Zidane makes it easy to root for France. I'd love to see him go out with another Cup. He's just a remarkable player and a great guy to boot.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

France has played some gorgeous football during it's last two games. It took the game to two of the best attacking teams in the world and Zidane' s been the best player in this World Cup so far.

That said, I'd like to see Portugal win despite their Greg Louganis imitations. It would be kind of exciting to see someone new win the Cup and their attack will be a lot more robust with Deco back in the fold. Plus, I once interviewed one of famed four horsemen from Portugal, Jose Augusto, and gave me the best quote of reportorial career. In response to hearing that MLB had just cancelled its season and that there would be no championship he said, "In Portugal if there is no championship, there is only death."

Italy's only hope against Germany is a 0-0 tie and a win on penalty kicks. I doubt they can keep the Germans out of the net for 120 minutes, but they'll be obstinate and pack players into their defensive end the whole game. Germany won't likely get to win pretty.

As long as Germany's in the final, it's an interesting matchup. France-Germany needs no explanation. Portugal-Germany is a nice David vs. Goliath story, though David can really play the game and might have the best netminder on the planet.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

As an American, I'm pulling for Germany, mainly because of heritage. I'm German-Italian, so I could really go either way, but I've been a fan of the German team since Klinsman was playing.

Having seen all the teams play I agree the best footballing match would be Germany - France and a German win as they have played the best throughout the tournament.

Also I don't think the Germany v Italy game will be that close. The Ukrainians were really out of their depth and they had a number of clear shots on goal which were missed. The Germans will be more clinical in their finishing.

Well, one side of my family rooting interest was eliminated yesterday, but I still have one left. Go Deutschland!

Great win for Italy - who were rewarded with a win for their superior play - it could have been 4-0. I hope to see Nesta get a chance to play in the final and it was nice to see Del Piero get a goal. Cannavaro, Pirlo, Materazzi all played very well. Totti, Gattuso need to be more effective.

Italy won last time they had a scandal, why not again?

They were the superior team and they deserved to win. IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I didn't see any superioirity until the overtime. In regular time I thought the Germans outplayed them. I'm not sure what happened to the Germans in the OT, but it seemed they were just content to let it go to PKs and looked disinterested.

Italy is the most underwhelming team in the final that I can ever remember. They haven't been impressive the entire tournament and it's disappointing to me that they're where they are. They are the one team I didn't want to see make it.

If the Germans want to blame someone, blame Podolski. He was awful today. There wasn't anything Lehmann could have done with the two goals.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

[QUOTE=MWM]

Italy is the most underwhelming team in the final that I can ever remember. They haven't been impressive the entire tournament and it's disappointing to me that they're where they are. They are the one team I didn't want to see make it.
    [QUOTE]

Welcome to Italian soccer. They ALWAYS do this, but have a knack for leaving the best for last.

The play for the counterattack...always. And it works, because they don't make many mistakes in the back. You can't beat them, only hope for a scoreless tie and penalty kicks.

My bet is that the World Cup will end on penalty kicks.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?