Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Italy is the most underwhelming team in the final that I can ever remember.
    Germany 2002 says Hi... They were lucky to get past the US and beat a S. Korea team that had it's hand held throughout the entire tourny.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't see what is underwhelming about Italy. They win and they have the best keeper in the world.

It's not like they are lucky. They are tactically brilliant in the back, they beat the host nation in the semis, and they haven't allowed a true goal in the whole tournament.

They have awesome depth also. I think they deserve to play for the cup. Nothing fluke about Italy.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I know you just came back from Italy and all, but I have yet to see any tactictal brilliance. Their entire game plan is what oneupper says it is. Sorry, but there's been nothing impressive on the offensive side of the ball although they do play good defense and Gianluigi is fantastic. But they play the same style England plays which is not to lose. Maybe it works for them, but I can't stand to watch it and it's certainly not impressive. I'm not sure what happened in the OT, but Germany stopped playing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I know you just came back from Italy and all, but I have yet to see any tactictal brilliance. Their entire game plan is what oneupper says it is. Sorry, but there's been nothing impressive on the offensive side of the ball although they do play good defense and Gianluigi is fantastic. But they play the same style England plays which is not to lose. Maybe it works for them, but I can't stand to watch it and it's certainly not impressive. I'm not sure what happened in the OT, but Germany stopped playing.
    It's not impressive to you while they play for the cup.

It's Italy and it's soccer. Are you new to international soccer? You act like I'm making Greece into a world beater. It's Italy dude.

They had far more and far better chances today. I'm not sure how that's "playing to lose" -- Germany managed one decent shot on net today. Italy netted 2, hit two posts and had Lehmann scrambling.

That's why I said they're the most underwhelming team in the final that I can remember. It happens. Unimpressive teams make it to the Super Bowl, World Series from time to time even (you even said so about this past Super Bowl). A no, I'm not new to international soccer, which is why I can watch every game they have played and scratch my head at the fact that they're going to be playing for the championship. This ain't the Italy that was the powerhouse in the past.

They had far more and far better chances today. I'm not sure how that's "playing to lose" -- Germany managed one decent shot on net today. Italy netted 2, hit two posts and had Lehmann scrambling.
    In overtime, yes. In regular time I'm not so sure. I'm not sure what Podolski's problem was today but he took a few premium opoprtunities and did absolutely nothing with them. I'm not suggesting Germany looked great today. But based on my watching of the Cup I don't see this Italian team as comparable to most of the teams I've seen in the final since I've been watching. The other team that came to mind is like oneupper said, the 2002 German team.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Italy is the most underwhelming team in the final that I can ever remember. They haven't been impressive the entire tournament and it's disappointing to me that they're where they are. They are the one team I didn't want to see make it.
    Italy is to international soccer what the Patriots are to the NFL. Smothering defense, and a safe, counterattacking offense. It's ugly and not particularly entertaining to watch, but it wins championships.

That's why I said they're the most underwhelming team in the final that I can remember. It happens. Unimpressive teams make it to the Super Bowl, World Series from time to time even. A no, I'm not new to international soccer, which is why I can watch every game they have played and scratch my head at the fact that they're going to be playing for the championship. This ain't the Italy that was the powerhouse in the past.
    That's cool, I can disagree cordially.

I just got back from Italy yeah, but it's not like I fly an Italian flag or even root for their team. I just have a different opinion on their style than you. They win and always have. I thought today's game was very open and played well.

[QUOTE=MWM]I didn't see any superioirity until the overtime. In regular time I thought the Germans outplayed them. I'm not sure what happened to the Germans in the OT, but it seemed they were just content to let it go to PKs and looked disinterested. [QUOTE]

Here are some stats from the game:

Germany Italy
    Shots on Goal 6 11
    Fouls 19 19
    Corner Kicks 4 12
    Offsides 1 11
    Time of Possession 42% 58%

Perhaps you have some other statistics to show how Germany outplayed Italy today.

I'm not sure statistics tell us much of anything in soccer. I mean, the US had the same number of shots on goal and won the time of possession battle against the Czechs and what I saw that game was the Czech team dominating. the only stat in that game that showed the Czech team out ahead was offside with the Czechs at 10 and the the US at 0. The Ghana game is similar and I don't think the US outplayed them. Heck, go look at the stats for Spain's 4-0 waxing of the Ukraine and you sure couldn't tell who was better. And I know I saw France handle Spain pretty well in the quarters and most of these same stats you use point to Spain outplaying France.

It's not like I think Germany dominated. Neither team looked all that great, it was just my opinion that based on the first 90 minutes of the game, I thought Germany was slightly better. The OT is a completely different story.

Italy definitely had the better of the first half, the second was more even. I think the telling part of the play which would put domination on the side of the Italians is just like Argentina they pressed the Germans who had very little time on the ball. However, unlike the Argentinians the Italians have come away with something to show for their efforts. As much as the Italians deserved their win today I still cannot support them to win the Cup. Go Portugal or France.

Vive le France! I cannot support such a contemptuous group of divers as the Italians. Germany's big mistake is that they let the Italians get to them and it took them out of their game. The Italians (and their little sisters, the Portuguese) give hard fouls at one end and make overdramatic dives at the other. The Germans got tired of it, started retaliating and lost focus. They tried to play the Italians' game and lost. I think if they had worried more about scoring goals instead of what the Italians were doing, they might have put a few in the net.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    And just look at Zidane and Barthez. Couldn't you just imagine them dressed up as French Resistance, harkening back to a time when the US and French got along?
    Okay, Yachtzee, seriously, the mental image of Zidane and Barthez dressed up in vintage French Resistance clothing might be the funniest thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Vive le France! I cannot support such a contemptuous group of divers as the Italians. Germany's big mistake is that they let the Italians get to them and it took them out of their game. The Italians (and their little sisters, the Portuguese) give hard fouls at one end and make overdramatic dives at the other. The Germans got tired of it, started retaliating and lost focus. They tried to play the Italians' game and lost. I think if they had worried more about scoring goals instead of what the Italians were doing, they might have put a few in the net.
    Agree with everything you just said. Germany allowed themselves to be taken in by the Italians negative tactics and quit doing the things that had them playing such wonderful, attacking soccer throughout this World Cup.

Before, I was a bit torn between seeing either Germany or France win the World Cup. Now, I am solidly rooting for the French to dispatch the 'little sisters' (HAHA) of Italy tomorrow and then the Italians on Sunday.

Zidane winning a WC as his final hurrah would be the stuff of storybooks, and doesn't every good storybook require a contemptible villain?

I must have been watching a different game. I thought this game was very open and played well. I saw nothing overly physical or wrong with the game.

I thought both teams could have claimed a deserving win and without having one side to root for, I was impressed.

I think acting like the Italian side is just a bunch of whiny, non talented players just pushing by is wrong. And saying that Italy won just because they trapped Germany into a dirty game is weird. I saw very few hard fouls, flops, or yellow cards.

My two cents.

Turn Off Ads?