Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Imagine Michael Jordan in his last game, with the score tied in overtime, knocking out his defender with a punch to the throat.
    If that happened, a foul would be called on the defender for getting in Jordan's way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Zidane violated one of the cardinal rules of any team sport ... don't screw your teammates by losing your cool on the field. If another player says something completely out of line, you suck it up and keep playing and then settle the matter via a postgame ass-whooping.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Zidane violated one of the cardinal rules of any team sport ... don't screw your teammates by losing your cool on the field. If another player says something completely out of line, you suck it up and keep playing and then settle the matter via a postgame ass-whooping.
    Exactly. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Think Italy did not know Zidane's history of losing his cool and doing something stupid? You better believe they knew and they knew he could end the thing with one header or one kick (I mean the proper way to use your head in a game of soccer). Does not make it okay to say bad things, but it also does not give Zidane the right to do something stupid and foolish either. And look who looked foolish after it was all said and done... Mr. Zidane as Italy held the trophy up high and celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Exactly. 2 wrongs do not make a right. Think Italy did not know Zidane's history of losing his cool and doing something stupid? You better believe they knew and they knew he could end the thing with one header or one kick (I mean the proper way to use your head in a game of soccer). Does not make it okay to say bad things, but it also does not give Zidane the right to do something stupid and foolish either. And look who looked foolish after it was all said and done... Mr. Zidane as Italy held the trophy up high and celebrated.
    Add to that, we don't really know what was said, other than Mattarazzi confirming that it was an insult.

Professional soccer really came out looking bad from this WC; constant diving, whiny coaches, poor enforcement of the rules and topped off with one of the stars of the game completely losing his cool due to some on-field trash talking.

Right after this happened, I told friends of mine that Zidane would either apologize or play the race card. So far, though, he's said nothing.

Lippi resigned his position as Italy's coach.
    Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach. (To return to his family in the US. I wonder if he'll be the next US coach?)

Being familiar with Materazzi's career as I am, the only thing I think Zidane did wrong was aim too low.

Materazzi is a low-grade thug, and if evidence comes out that he did abuse Zidane with racial or ethnic epithets, then in my opinion he should be stripped of his winner's medal (not punishing the entire Italian team) and banned for life.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Being familiar with Materazzi's career as I am, the only thing I think Zidane did wrong was aim too low.

Materazzi is a low-grade thug, and if evidence comes out that he did abuse Zidane with racial or ethnic epithets, then in my opinion he should be stripped of his winner's medal (not punishing the entire Italian team) and banned for life.
    Zidane doesn't have a stellar history, either.

Seems to be much ado about nothing...

Materazzo and Zizou Speak Out
    Wednesday 12 July, 2006

Both Marco Materazzi and Zinedine Zidane have given their side of the story leading up to the disgraceful head-butt in the World Cup Final.

Words were exchanged between the players before the Frenchman violently struck Materazzi in the chest. Lip-readers have been unable to clarify exactly what was said.

“I want to ask forgiveness from all the children who watched that. There was no excuse for it,” said Zidane this evening.

“I want to be open and honest about it because it was seen by two or three billion people watching on television and millions and millions of children were watching. I won’t repeat exactly what was said, but it was very personal and concerned my mother and sister."

However, Materazzi has also spoken out against claims his provocation was enough to warrant punishment from FIFA.

“I said nothing that had anything to do with racism, religion or politics,” the defender told the Gazzetta dello Sport. “I didn’t even mention his mother. I lost my mother at the age of 15 and to this day am still moved to tears talking about her.”

There were suggestions in the world’s media that Zidane was infuriated by an alleged comment because his mother is currently battling a serious illness.

“Naturally, I had no idea Zidane’s mother was in hospital. I wish them all the best and a speedy recovery. As for Zidane, he has always been my hero and I admire him a great deal.”

The Frenchman was sent off in extra time for that head-butt and could now be stripped of his Golden Ball award as Player of the Tournament. A FIFA investigation has begun into the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Lippi resigned his position as Italy's coach.
    Klinsmann resigned as Germany's coach. (To return to his family in the US. I wonder if he'll be the next US coach?)
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but in his retirement announcement he stated that he had not been offered the US job.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but in his retirement announcement he stated that he had not been offered the US job.

.......yet.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Arena's still the coach. Until they come to a decision on his future, I doubt they'll be naming a successor. But it's been rumored, so I threw it out there.

Arena's contract runs out at the end of the year and it's not going to be renewed.

Seeing that Klinsmann's a free agent and he lives in the U.S., I assume he's become the top candidate to take over when Arena steps down.

As for Materazzi and Zidane, I don't think anyone should be stripped of anything. Zidane was wrong to throw the headbutt regardless of what Materazzi said and Materazzi clearly said something vile to draw the blow and is now lying through his teeth about it. I don't think official FIFA action is needed to sort out those rather obvious truths.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Want more scoring? Two words...No Goalkeepers.
    Hey, that's what France did.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    As for Materazzi and Zidane, I don't think anyone should be stripped of anything. Zidane was wrong to throw the headbutt regardless of what Materazzi said and Materazzi clearly said something vile to draw the blow and is now lying through his teeth about it. I don't think official FIFA action is needed to sort out those rather obvious truths.
    Could you imagine if the NBA or NFL opened an inquiry after every trash-talking incident? This world cup provided further evidence that most soccer players are drama queens.

Turn Off Ads?