Turn Off Ads?
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5455152535455

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Could you imagine if the NBA or NFL opened an inquiry after every trash-talking incident? This world cup provided further evidence that most soccer players are drama queens.
    If there was a high-profile allegation of racial abuse that culminated in a fight in Game 7 of the NBA Finals or during the Super Bowl, you bet your life the NBA or NFL would investigate.

As for your other comment--no one is forcing you to watch, comment on, or deal with a sport you dislike. Watch a sporting event where the referees don't influence the game and the players don't act like drama queens, like say, the NBA Finals. (head explodes)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Zidane doesn't have a stellar history, either.
    Unquestionably.

The difference is that Zidane has gained worldwide respect and admiration for his on- and off-the-field work over the last decade while Materazzi is a thug known best (before this) for being one of the most violent cheapshot artists in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    If there was a high-profile allegation of racial abuse that culminated in a fight in Game 7 of the NBA Finals or during the Super Bowl, you bet your life the NBA or NFL would investigate.
    I believe even Zidane said it wasn't racially motivated. But apparently a lot of really poor lipreaders jumped to the wrong conclusion

As for your other comment--no one is forcing you to watch, comment on, or deal with a sport you dislike.
    I like soccer. I follow the European leagues and I watch it whenever possible. And I watch it more than the NBA - which has it's share of whiners, too.

But I don't think the sport put it's best foot forward in this World Cup, that's what was so frustrating to me. You can disagree, but don't be presumptuous to know what I like or dislike.

Not a surprise. Shouldn't be long before they contact Kleinsmann

U.S. Soccer won't renew Arena's contract
    By BRIAN TRUSDELL, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Bruce Arena is out as coach of the United States men's soccer team less than three weeks after the Americans' first-round exit from the World Cup.

U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said Friday that Arena's contract would not be renewed when it runs out at the end of the year. A search for a replacement will begin immediately, Gulati said, adding that no potential candidates have been contacted.

Arena, who coached the U.S. for eight years, leaves as the most successful coach in the history of the national team, having won more than twice as many games (71) as any of his predecessors.

He guided the United States to two CONCACAF Gold Cup titles and two straight appearances in the World Cup. But the latest trip to soccer's biggest tournament was a disappointment, with the United States being eliminated following a 2-1 loss to Ghana in the first round in Germany.

"Eight years is a long period," Gulati said. "I'm not saying we need to change direction, the direction Bruce set is very positive. But having a fresh approach, after eight years, which is a very long time, is the strongest factor."

Gulati praised Arena for his accomplishments and said he had done "an extraordinary job."

"I am proud of how far the organization has come over the last eight years, and I am extremely optimistic about the future of the sport in our country," Arena said in a statement released by U.S. Soccer. "As for me, I am planning to take some time off to weigh my future opportunities."

Looks like Materazzi will get a 2-game suspension. Pity, I would like to see him take the field v. France in EU qualifying.

Matrix facing ban?
    Sunday 16 July, 2006

Sources in Italy suggest that Marco Materazzi will be suspended for two games for his conduct in the World Cup Final.

The Inter stopper was the victim of a head butt from Zinedine Zidane, but a FIFA disciplinary hearing is to investigate the severe insults that provoked the Frenchman’s rush of blood.

Zizou has claimed that Materazzi made comments about his mother and sister but the ex-Everton defender adamantly denies this.

“I lost my mother at the age of 15 and to this day am still moved to tears talking about her,” he insisted.

A fine is inevitable but reports in the Italian Press also state that the controversial Materazzi will also be banned for two competitive fixtures.

While any action taken against Zidane will be merely symbolic, a suspension for Materazzi would mean that the Azzurri had to manage without him for their Euro 2008 qualification openers against Lithuania, and possibly for a heated clash against France.

However, the player’s agent claims that Matrix was pleased with his meeting with FIFA’s disciplinary commission last Friday and hopes that this will be the end of the affair.

“Marco was optimistic. He gave his version of what happened,” said Claudio Vigorelli. “He will not have to return to Zurich at a later stage.”

Zidane will present his side of the story on Thursday with a verdict due to follow later in the day.

So it's settled. As I thought, much ado about nothing.

FIFA punishes Zidane, Materazzi

July 20, 2006
    ZURICH, Switzerland (Ticker) - France playmaker Zinedine Zidane has been handed a three-match ban and a fine for his World Cup final head-butt on Italy defender Marco Materazzi, who himself has been suspended for two games and fined for provoking the incident.

With Zidane having quit soccer after the World Cup final, the ban is academic, but the 34-year-old instead will spend three days working with world governing body FIFA.

Zidane was fined 7,500 Swiss francs ($6,000) while Materazzi must pay 5000 Swiss francs ($4,000) for the incident, which occurred in extra time of the World Cup final with the match poised at 1-1.

Italy, which had been under pressure before Zidane was sent off, went on to win the final 5-3 on penalties while the France midfielder later complained that Materazzi had provoked him with remarks about his family.

“Both players stressed that Materazzi’s comments had been defamatory but not of a racist nature,” confirmed a FIFA statement.

“During the course of their hearings both players also apologised to FIFA for their inappropriate behaviour and expressed their regret at the incident.”

There was speculation that Zidane may have the World Cup Golden Ball award taken away from him, but FIFA have confirmed that he will be allowed to keep the award.

Turn Off Ads?