Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

I'd label it more of a "curiosity" than a fever. Outside of a few soccer enclaves the general population is probably only vaguely aware that something is going on. ESPN is getting behind it a bit though, so maybe by the next world cup there will be some excitement.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds win on penalties! Reina came up big.

How does Derek Walcott make the English world cup squad but doesn't get named for even one EPL match? What is Wenger doing (he must be behind the Walcott selection)? What is Sven Goran doing?

The American public know more and expect more of their squad this cup. Everyone I know (not just soccer fans) knows the US are in a tough group. If the US advances, I believe they will capture the nation's attention.

What a match! I've followed the Reds for years, albeit very casually. Alas, my beloved Tractor Boys have yet to make it back to the top flight. 15th in the league this year; ouch. It's tough being an Ipswich supporter on the left side of the Atlantic.

The US is in a tough group, but on the bright side we will bounce one of the top ten sides out by advancing. Eliminating the Czechs or Azzuri either one will be excellent for our knockout chances.

USA have announced their squad.

Goalkeepers : Marcus Hahnemann (Reading), Tim Howard (Everton), Kasey Keller (Borussia Monchengladbach)

Defenders: Chris Albright (Los Angeles Galaxy), Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Cory Gibbs (ADO Den Haag), Eddie Lewis (Leeds), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard Liege), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake)

Midfielders : DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven), Bobby Convey (Reading), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), John O’Brien (Chivas USA), Ben Olsen (D.C. United), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City)

Forwards : Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Eddie Johnson (Kansas City Wizards), Brian McBride (Fulham), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    Reds win on penalties! Reina came up big.

How does Derek Walcott make the English world cup squad but doesn't get named for even one EPL match? What is Wenger doing (he must be behind the Walcott selection)? What is Sven Goran doing?

The American public know more and expect more of their squad this cup. Everyone I know (not just soccer fans) knows the US are in a tough group. If the US advances, I believe they will capture the nation's attention.
    Amazing game !!!!

Gerrards last minute strike to make it 3-3 will go down as one of the all time great goals !!! If you haven't seen it he was 35 yrds out and caught the ball on the volley which fizzed in the bottom right corner without touching the ground.

Reina's save in the last minute of ET was also amazing. Best cup final for years. Got to feel sorry for West Ham.

How has Reyna looked over there in league play? I don't get to see too many games here. Seems like he's been around (the national team) for a long time .

Liverpool has had some finals magic the past two years. I don't know what was better, this or the Champions League Final last year.

I am so mad that I have to work during the final on Wednesday. I guess I'll tape it and resist the temptation to get on Soccernet until later that night.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...230273,00.html

Things are looking better !!!! keeping my fingers crossed .

More details on Rooney's recovery - the oxygen tent seems to be helping (I am unfamiliar with this medical approach - does anyone know how it is utilized?)

Rooney making 'perfect recovery' from metatarsal injury

Wayne Rooney's chances of playing a key part in the World Cup have been boosted after England's team doctor Leif Sward claimed the player was making a 'perfect recovery' from a broken metatarsal.

The Manchester United striker fractured a bone in his right foot against Chelsea on April 24 an it was estimated he would take a minimum of six weeks to recover.

However, Sward revealed the 20-year-old had made great progress.

'Everything points to a perfect recovery. I have the highest hopes for Rooney and the World Cup,' the England medic told The Sun. 'I hope I can give a perfect answer about Rooney after the next MRI examination on Thursday.

'I hope everything has healed good and I can say everything points in that direction. This healing process has been very, very good.'

Rooney has been spending time in an oxygen tent to aid the healing process and he will have another scan later this week to assess his fitness.

He has not kicked a ball since being carried off at Stamford Bridge but Sward explained: 'He is not allowed to do that or anything else that could make his foot worse before Thursday's examination.

'But he can put pressure on his foot now with the special protection he is wearing.

'It seems like Wayne Rooney has the gift of healing quickly - but it's not that strange. Young people have that gift, much more than older patients.'

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    More details on Rooney's recovery - the oxygen tent seems to be helping (I am unfamiliar with this medical approach - does anyone know how it is utilized?)
    I suspect that they are talking about a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. It is a chamber that has oxygen in it at several times atmospheric pressure. The blood becomes more saturated with oxygen than is possible at atmospheric pressure therefore delivering more oxygen to healing tissues. I'm not familiar with human studies, but a study done on horses at the University of Tennessee while I was in school showed that hyperbaric oxygen therapy decreased wound healing time.

Not quite the hyperbaric chamber but is olong the same lines. Its akin to the oxygen tent used in hospitals for burns victims. Its simply has pure oxygen recirculating through it but not under pressure.

Just as a side note Beckham used one before the last World Cup or was it Euro Cup. I'm sure RawOwl would remember.

Thanks for the information RedHeeler and Nugget - I understand the reference now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Just as a side note Beckham used one before the last World Cup or was it Euro Cup. I'm sure RawOwl would remember.
    It was the 2004 Euro's .

I am so hyped up for this it's amazing !!! I have bought a 9ft x 6ft St George flag to take to the pub for the games

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Add the cross of St Andrew and St Patrick move it up to the top left hand corner, put the southern cross on the right hand side on a blue background and a seven pointed star on the bottom left and you have the right flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Add the cross of St Andrew and St Patrick move it up to the top left hand corner, put the southern cross on the right hand side on a blue background and a seven pointed star on the bottom left and you have the right flag

Keep the same colors, remove the crosses, shift the stars to the upper left hand corner, add some stripes, and then you're on the right track! Well, as long as you don't have to play Morocco.

Turn Off Ads?