Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    Keep the same colors, remove the crosses, shift the stars to the upper left hand corner, add some stripes, and then you're on the right track! Well, as long as you don't have to play Morocco.
    - Well said, HF.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the US doesn't pick up their game by leaps and bounds over that mess last night against Morocco, then they might as well book their ticket home from Germany immediately following their third game. They were atrocious.

I know its hard BUT these game are all about a not getting injured rather than beating the opponents . Something Reyna couldn't manage.

England B v Belarus B tomorrow night. Hopefully we get to see Walcott make a cameo appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    I know its hard BUT these game are all about a not getting injured rather than beating the opponents . Something Reyna couldn't manage.
    Exactly. There's a saying that when you're playing a game and trying to avoid injury, that's usually when you get hurt.

Is the TV coverage any good over there ? Any Ex English players involved ?

Is the TV coverage any good over there ? Any Ex English players involved ?
    Of the World Cup...or soccer/football in general.

On most cable systems you can get Fox Soccer Channel which shows EPL, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Argentine, among other games including national friendlies; tournaments, etc. They also show "Sky Sports News" and a weekly EPL wrapup show, among other features.

ESPN shows live Champions League games. In the NJ area, we get RAI weekly Serie A games; and the two cable Spanish-language stations show many games from around the world.

As for the World Cup - ESPN and ABC has the English language coverage. Telemundo (spanish) will also show most, if not all, of the games.

To tell the truth, WC coverage got much better after we hosted the event in 1994. Before that they interrupted games with commercials and had commentators that didn't really follow the games.

Sky Sports news !!!! So you know who Jeff Stelling is ? and Claire Tomlinson

We are lucky with the BBC (no adverts ever !!!) & ITV who will cover every game live during the tourney.

We are lucky with the BBC (no adverts ever !!!) & ITV who will cover every game live during the tourney.
    I get BBC World Service on my satellite radio. I got to listen to the Championship playoff final, which was quite a thrill for an Ipswich fan salivating for Championship coverage. It would've been more of a thrill had the Blues not finished 15th in the table.

All in all the football coverage is ok. When I lived in Cleveland I got Gol! TV (a Spanish language soccer channel) and several Mexican stations. I watched the 2002 World Cup on Univision in Spanish because they hadn't installed my cable yet. It was odd watching the most memorable US performance in decades on Mexican TV. My Lord was the coverage biased during the US vs. Mexico cage fight.

Game coverage here has been ad-free since the 1994 World Cup. Before that, coverage was terrible.

Soccer coverage in the States on the major networks is still pretty poor.

The anointed 'top-team' for WC 2006 consists of Dave O'Brien and Marcelo Balboa.

Dave O'Brien doesn't understand the game. He's a baseball and football guy with a good voice. He doesn't understand letting a game breathe... the best soccer announcers focus on the game and the strategies being employed, not the human interest stories that most American broadcasters are so intent on communicating.

Marcelo? Maybe the worst commentary guy EVER. I think he's been in a coma for the past 8 years.

Too bad, really, b/c ESPN could have picked just about any of the men working EPL matches and done a MUCH better job...

the best soccer announcers focus on the game and the strategies being employed, not the human interest stories that most American broadcasters are so intent on communicating.
    Welcome to the Olympics.

A fine example of this is in action right now, in the US we are eating OLN coverage for the NHL playoffs, in the early rounds they streamed CBC feeds in and the announcing style was much more focused on the games, not blanks return from knee injury or dyslexia.

Who's the Irish guy who used to do the U.S league games ? How bad was he ???

Who's the Irish guy who used to do the U.S league games ? How bad was he ???

Tommy Smyth (ESPN)...I like him.

Tommy Smyth and Tommy Anderson are both on ESPN's coverage. Both are ex-Irishmen to ESPN via Australia.

Good win by the Aussies last night but they will have to improve to cut it at the World Cup. The question is how did Greece win the Euro Championships?!

Turn Off Ads?