Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Wow, England looked pretty unimpressive vrs. Belarus - mostly on the back line - Lennon looked pretty unstoppable at the beginning and Sol earned two PKs - in the first half being pulled down and in the second on a hand ball to prevent Sol from scoring off a header. I know it was a "b" game but still.....
    And the US - looked good v. Venezuela - Dempsey was dominant and the US had the bulk of possession. Good warmup guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Did you see Belarus's first goal !!!

Yes - I never saw anything like that before - Green collapsing while taking the goal kick. Did you think Belarus should have stopped before kicking the ball in the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread
    Yes - I never saw anything like that before - Green collapsing while taking the goal kick. Did you think Belarus should have stopped before kicking the ball in the net?
    I don't think the Belarussian player knew that Green was hurt. He probably thought that Green slipped. Strange injury, though. It didn't look all that wrong on replay. Any word on what the injury was? It looked like he might have had an external rotation ankle sprain. I've done that once. Hurt like the devil and way more damage than the much more common internal rotation.

Um he tore a groin muscle - Id say it probably hurts a bit more than an ankle sprain.

But that means a guy who isn't even in the first team at Liverpool is England's third choice keeper. Which isn't much when they have Calamity competing for a starting spot.

Scott Carson played the last 11 games of the season for the mighty ......SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY !!!!!!!!!

so pleased for the guy as he was amazing for us. Feel for Green BUT Carson is the better keeper imo.

Doesn't matter when you've got Paul Robinson and David James. Both world-class.

Havnig followed David James for most of his career I'd say he can be world class at times but he fails to be world class for 90 mins. He has one or two moments which would make any fan turn away in hope. As for the Scott Carson I agree he is a good keeper but I think Kirkland would have done a better job as third stringer given he has been playing week in week out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Havnig followed David James for most of his career I'd say he can be world class at times but he fails to be world class for 90 mins. He has one or two moments which would make any fan turn away in hope. As for the Scott Carson I agree he is a good keeper but I think Kirkland would have done a better job as third stringer given he has been playing week in week out.
    Sort of like the English Fabien Barthez?

Speaking on Goalkeepers... Will Aussie's Scwarzer be fully fit for their initial 3-game set? I know he wore a facemask for a couple matches.

The Dude is a great keeper. Very solid.

I'm actually high on Australia getting out of their group... Croatia is tough, but Australia *can* beat them.

I think Australia is better than Japan.

Definitely a tough group though. Anytime you're paired with Brazil, optimism is always great, but you can more or less go ahead and give them the #1 spot coming out of that group... Brazil losing to any of those 3 would be considered one of the all-time upsets...

Anyway, how is your country approaching this WC? Happy to be there, I'm positive. Is there pressure on Hiddink to reach the round of 16?

How has Mark Viduka's form been as of late?

Schwarzer is fully fit - its between him a Kalac for the starting keeper's job. Kalac plays for AC Milan and the two have been going at it for the no.1 since the junior days. I believe Schwarzer is the better keeper but at this point in time I don't think anyone is second guessing Guus.

People are going crazy at having made it - we have been so close the last few times. Especially with Guus. There isn't too much pressure to get to the second round, its going to be close and since we play Brazil last I think that could be a good thing. Everyone is hoping that we beat Japan and Croatia so the Brazil match will hopefully not be too much pressure.

Viduka is playing great, having been given the captains armband he has been on fire. Guus is employing a 3-4-2-1 formation which means he is playing pretty much as a lone striker but with Kewell (if fit), Cahill, Strejovski and Skoko I think we have enough firepower.

At this time Guus is being hailed as Australian football's Messiah - just getting there has been an achievement. We last made it in 1974 (before I was born).

What about the Brits? Before Rooney's injury, they were my #2 pick to win the Cup (behind Brazil). Steven Gerrard is my favorite non-US player. An absolute beast. Did anyone see his goal from 35 yards out in the FA Cup?!?!

I wonder if they might play him up top w/ Michael Owen? Let Lampard fill his midfield role? Playing Gerrard as a DM is such a waste of his immense abilities, despite his EXCELLENT tackling abilities. The man truly does not have a weakness in his game.

I was disappointed to see Shaun Wright-Phillips left off the squad.

John Terry, Ashley Cole??? I LOVE England's defense.

If Rooney could make it back for the later rounds... I think England can do it.

Don't forget the wildcard, 17 yr-old Theo Walcott. After the US, I'm pulling for England; I really like their squad. Oh Rooney!!

Looks like Carragher or Carrick to play in front of the back four. Leaving Beckham, Lamps & Cole in midfield with Gerrard supporting an (unfit) Owen.

Enjoyed the 2nd half last night V Hungary. Beckham & Joe Cole were the stars of the show. Good to see Crouch score, anyone see his robotics celebration That was mad !!!!!

Don't call us Brits the scots & Welsh wouldn't be happy

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    Looks like Carragher or Carrick to play in front of the back four. Leaving Beckham, Lamps & Cole in midfield with Gerrard supporting an (unfit) Owen.

Enjoyed the 2nd half last night V Hungary. Beckham & Joe Cole were the stars of the show. Good to see Crouch score, anyone see his robotics celebration That was mad !!!!!

Don't call us Brits the scots & Welsh wouldn't be happy
    I learned when I was stationed in England not to call Scottish people "Scotch". Evidently that's just for imbibing.

Crouch doesn't get to celebrate very often.

I don't know about everyone else but I think the loss of Edmilson will give Brazil a headache in the later rounds. Its when your playing the top teams that your ability to have a great holding midfielder is at its premium. Without Edmilson I think that Brazil could be vulnerable. Hopefully against the likes of Australia but I think the world powers are better positioned to exploit it.

Turn Off Ads?