Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 55 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup Discussion Thread

Re: World Cup Discussion Thread

Edmilson wasn't going to start... I think his loss will have a negligible affect on the Selecao... they are so spoilt for choice at Midfield and Forward.

I see their only real vulnerability at D. The loss of Lucio, for example, would be disastrous.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice to see that Deon Burton might play against England tomorrow Good luck Deon.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Tommy Smyth (ESPN)...I like him.
    Tommy Smyth is an absolutely nightmarish announcer. The best example is the fact that he will persist in a given argument even when conclusively proven wrong by replay evidence, especially if he can somehow work his biases in. For example, in the Champions League Final, Thierry Henry of Arsenal went in hard on Marc van Bommel of Barcelona and got booked. Smyth continued to argue the booking was justified even though replays from varoius angles showed Henry had made an incredibly clean, though hard, tackle and got all ball.

He also can't make it three minutes into a match without mentioning Manchester United or Ireland, even if the game in question is being contested between, say, Anderlecht and Fenerbahce.

The problem is that with the exception of Derrek Rae and his lovely fake Welsh accent, there is no one on American TV that can call a convincing match. Jack Edwards was a disaster, Marcelo Balboa is absolutely atrocious, Harkesy stunk, Dellacamera is about as good as we get. If they could get some 'serious' play by play men to do World Cup matches, that would assist the legitimacy of the game. I may just do what I did in 2002 and watch most of the WC on Univision.

The other option is to kidnap Martin Tyler and Steve Banyard, but that's probably asking too much.

Luckily we still get free to air coverage down here for the world cup. Plus I understand that we are getting Martin Tyler and Gary Bloom as the commentators. The coverage will be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    Steve Banyard
    He used to present the sport on my local radio station Hallam FM he's pretty good.

Martin Tyler & Andy Gray are the best double act bar none !!!!!

We have old faithful John Motson as ever on the BBC. The World Cup would not be the same without Motty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_a...day/882124.stm

Good win by England over Jamaica over the weekend, but can't understand why SGE didn't trial Hargreaves in the shielding position. Considering both Cole and Neville were out and Carragher was at right back. I'm wondering whether Crouch is giving false hope but its good that Owen played the full 90.

For the Dutch fans both Cocu and Sneijders went off injured. Sneijders looked the more serious as he had to be carried off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Good win by England over Jamaica over the weekend, but can't understand why SGE didn't trial Hargreaves in the shielding position. Considering both Cole and Neville were out and Carragher was at right back. I'm wondering whether Crouch is giving false hope but its good that Owen played the full 90.

For the Dutch fans both Cocu and Sneijders went off injured. Sneijders looked the more serious as he had to be carried off.
    Crouch is a limited player, but he does have his uses. When you have a guy like Becks who can drop a 40 yard cross into a trash can, having a giraffe to recieve that cross is a pretty potent weapon.

I watched part of the match between Mexico and the Dutch the other night. The Dutch looked dominant. They were playing beautiful soccer, creating several good opportunities, but they couldn't finish. van Nistelrooy wasn't playing at the time. He should be able to eliminate that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    Martin Tyler & Andy Gray are the best double act bar none !!!!!
    I like Tyler because he's clearly a Gooner and has to try really hard not to openly root for them during matches. I also like him because he's one of the best announcers in sport, bar none.

It seems like this year Sky went to two-man teams (Tyler and Gray being the most obvious) whereas in the past it seemed like most matches were announced by a single commentator. I liked the old way, reminded me of Peter Aliss doing the Open Championship alone, without the constant cut-outs to hole announcers and all the garbage that breaks up US golf coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I watched part of the match between Mexico and the Dutch the other night. The Dutch looked dominant. They were playing beautiful soccer, creating several good opportunities, but they couldn't finish. van Nistelrooy wasn't playing at the time. He should be able to eliminate that problem.
    In the Aussie game they were dominant in the first half with Van Pierse and Robben showing real class. Ruud played the whole game but the Dutch did seem to be wary of the physical stuff. The Socceroos just didn't give them much space in the 2nd half. It was Schwarzer who saved the day for them though. He made about a dozen saves and a lot of them were reflex and at full stretch.

A couple of the Aussie tackles versus the Dutch lacked class.

They were hard tackles and probably not required in the last game before the World Cup (for the Dutch at least). However, it is much how the Australian game is played. Even Van Basten acknowledged that most of them were hard but not unfair. Wilshire deserved to be sent off and its unfortunate that the Red Card won't follow over to the World Cup. Need I not mention Kevin Muscat and glad that he is no longer on the Socceroos.

Yeah... I understand where you're coming from, but wow, imagining if a player from Venezuela had pulled the crap that esp. Wilshire pulled in that game versus, say, a Landon Donovan... wow, would I be pissed.

Speaking of games where 2 teams played with VERY different intentions: Switzerland v. Italy... hehe, the Swiss were certainly playing with blood in their eye in that match... now Italy getting shook up... lol, that I will manage to deal with!

Too late for Aussie v. Italy and Czech Republic friendlies??

Nah we have Lichtenstein on Wednesday. The problem with Wilshire is that he is kind of third string at the moment. Even with Kewell and Cahill out he isn't guaranteed of a start. Josip Skoko who scored against Greece is ahead of him in the depth chart.

Also the Aussies remember what Bruce said about them when they qualified so it could be quite a game if the Aussies and Team USA ever meet up.

Four more sleeps before it starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    Also the Aussies remember what Bruce said about them when they qualified so it could be quite a game if the Aussies and Team USA ever meet up.
    What did he say?

Edit: I just read the article in SI; I understand.

Turn Off Ads?