Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merged: Girardi likely to O's / Girardi Turns Down Orioles

Merged: Girardi likely to O's / Girardi Turns Down Orioles

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2907704

One manager that I wanted to succeed Narron off the list.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Girardi likely too O's, missed opportuntiy

Unfortunately, if Narron goes, they will just replace him with someone inside the org anyway (I'm thinking Bucky Dent). Then, we have to worry about Dent doing well for the last half of the season only to get an extension and start the process all over again. As much as I am for Narron getting the boot, waiting until season's end when we can explore all options is probably the best for us in the long-term.

I am with you though, I would not have minded Girardi ending up here one bit.

I have a feeling they'll fire Narron at the end of this season, which is fine by me. And personally I'm glad Girardi will be snatched up, because I don't see a fit for him in Cincinnati.

Yeha, I wasnt a fan of the idea of him here either. I just think we need someone a lil more experienced as a manager for this team, and where it's at now.

Re: Girardi likely to O's, missed opportuntiy

Who do you want that's more experienced? It's not like they are going to pry a manager away from another team. Do you wait until all the managers get fired and bring in somebody else's garbage? Bring Dave Johnson out of Retirement? Bring Bobby Valentine from Japan? None of that sounds very good to me. Good experienced managers get that way by starting out somewhere.

Girardi was fired for one reason. Disagreement with ownership. The guy was the manager of the year last year. There isn't a single person out there that I'm aware of I'd rather have coaching this team next year.

If I were Bob I would fire Narron immediately and begin talking to Girardi. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Then you name Dent interim coach like you would probably do anyway and finish out the season. Hope Dent doesn't do enough to assure him a chance to start next season as manager.
    Last edited by jmble; 06-18-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: edited because I said fire Krivtsky. I meant Narron. :)

Quote Originally Posted by jmble View Post
    Girardi was fired for one reason. Disagreement with ownership. The guy was the manager of the year last year. There isn't a single person out there that I'm aware of I'd rather have coaching this team next year.
    I think we really have to take what Girardi did last year with the Marlins with a grain of salt. I attribute the Marlins success last season more to a team that was full of young players with nothing to lose and no pressure on them than anything that Girardi did, along with the fact that amongst those youngsters was some very good talent.

I could think of a good handful of experienced managers I'd take over Girardi.

Thanks Jimbo, you saved me from typing that out Not to mention, if he couldnt get along wth frugile owners in FL, why would he do any better in Cincy?

I'm not saying Girardi isn't or wont one day be a great manager, but to judge him off one season is a little off the board. Hal Lanier had a brilliant first year as manager of the Stros in 1986 he won "Manager of the Year" However after 1988 he was back managing in the minors. I just need more than one solid year from a manager to annoint him the savior of this franchise.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 06-18-2007 at 11:42 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Girardi a savior? I'm not saying that either. But I'd take him over Narron 9 times out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I'm not saying Girardi isn't or wont one day be a great manager, but to judge him off one season is a little off the board. Hal Lanier had a brilliant first year as manager of the Stros in 1986 when he won "Manager of the Year". However after 1988 he was back managing in the minors. I just need more than one solid year from a manager to annoint him the savior of this franchise.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Girardi a savior? I'm not saying that either. But I'd take him over Narron 9 times out of 10.
    Just keep in mind that back in 1986 most fans would have taken Hal Lanier 9 times out of 10 over Joe Torre.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 06-19-2007 at 09:39 AM.

The Reds organization needs to improve from top to bottom first and then worry about the manager. Replacing Girardi with Narron would do very little if anything to improve this ballclub with a hideous team on the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I attribute the Marlins success last season more to a team that was full of young players
    Ditto. If an organization wants a competitive team they have to put decent players on the field first. The Marlins did it by having a fire sale.
    Last edited by harangatang; 06-19-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    The Reds organization needs to improve from top to bottom first and then worry about the manager. Replacing Girardi with Narron would do very little if anything to improve this ballclub with a hideous team on the field. Girardi's success with the Marlins had more to do with the young talent on the field than anything.
    This is pretty much spot on. However, I would like the club to find a manager thats is skilled in dealing with young pitchers. Both in developing them and in how to handle their work load. Narron doesn't seem to be too competent in this area.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    This is pretty much spot on. However, I would like the club to find a manager thats is skilled in dealing with young pitchers. Both in developing them and in how to handle their work load. Narron doesn't seem to be too competent in this area.
    I agree that who manages the team is hardly the Reds biggest problem right now, but in regards to developing pitchers and handling the pitchers work load I think you have to look at blaming Dick Pole just as much as Narron. Granted Narron decides how long a pitcher stays in but Pole I'm sure gives his input as to what type of workload a certain pitcher should have. The same goes with the pitchers development, I think Pole would be more responsible if a pitching staff just isnt developing than Narron would be. I just think there is plenty of blame to go around as to why the pitching staff isn't to good.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    [In] regards to developing pitchers and handling the pitchers work load I think you have to look at blaming Dick Pole just as much as Narron. Granted Narron decides how long a pitcher stays in but Pole I'm sure gives his input as to what type of workload a certain pitcher should have.
    I think that can attributed to the fact that Krivsky cannot obtain competent relief pitching. If the Reds had decent relievers that could get outs and maintain a lead Narron wouldn't have to leave in his starters as long.

Turn Off Ads?