Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perlozzo Fired in Baltimore

Perlozzo Fired in Baltimore

According to Fox Sports News, Sam Perlozzo has been fired. Andy MacPhail has been hired as COO, and is going to interview Girardi.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Perlozzo Fired [Reportedly]

Buster Olney has just confirmed that Perlozzo has been fired, and that MacPhail has been hired. Girardi will be interviewed today or tomorrow depending on which source you listen too.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Not a surprise. The Orioles have been pretty bad this season. They were swept last week by the Nats and this past weekend by the D-Backs.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Joe's brother George is a practicing Anesthesiologist in Fort Collins Colorado. Last month, while not being specific, he said Joe would be managing in the big leagues by the end of June. I like his toughness and willingness to take on the tough issues with ownership. He was a well respected player, and team-mates trusted him as their elected player rep. I always thought he would land with the Yankees.
    "Now having the full benefit of hindsight"

Holy crap. My Orioles fan friends are going to wet themselves.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Now Wayne won't have to deal with the potentially uncomfortable feeling of being the first to fire his manager this season.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Now Wayne won't have to deal with the potentially uncomfortable feeling of being the first to fire his manager this season.
    Maybe he'll sneak one through on the heels of this announcement hoping to avoid attention.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I wonder if Leo Mazzone will stick around. Isn't he good friends with Perlozzo?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

If the Os are smart they will keep him around.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If the Os are smart they will keep him around.
    If a frog had wings...

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Yeah, that was the word when he took the job. The Orioles can't be the first (or only) team that was willing to pay Mazzone pretty damn well, but he and Perlozzo being good friends was supposedly the kicker. You have to wonder.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Re: Perlozzo Fired in Baltimore

Mazzone specifically came to the O's to be with Perlozzo who is one of his best friends in baseball. More importantly is the hiring of McPhail--the O's already have Duquette and Flanagan as Vice-Presidents--they were co-GM's and now I believe Flanagan is the one who is basically the traditional GM. I'm wondering if they will be gone soon as well?

The problem in Baltimore isn't the manager or the front office--it's Peter Angelos. He's been making life very tough for all his GM's for nearly a decade, last winter he vetoed a trade of Brian Roberts. Until he's gone, I don't think the Oriole way will make a comeback, Girardi or no Girardi.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Considering his rep for clashing with ownership, if Girardi is hired for that job, it will be interesting to see if he can last more than a season working under the equally stubborn and volatile Angelos.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Considering his rep for clashing with ownership, if Girardi is hired for that job, it will be interesting to see if he can last more than a season working under the equally stubborn and volatile Angelos.
    That's what I thought too. Seems pretty much like a match made in hell. Could be wildly entertaining to watch, though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

If they're smart they'll go with Davey Johnson. I found this:

The Baltimore Sun reported on May 27, 2007 that Davey Johnson is being seriously considered as a replacement for the current Baltimore Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo. Johnson stated that he has no ill will towards Oriole's owner Peter Angelos. "The ill will wasn't so much [about] getting fired, because I've been fired before and that wasn't an issue. The ill will I harbored is that I did try to do everything in my power to make the Orioles successful and please him. I did want to do that and I failed at that, but I did give it my best." Orioles management would not comment on the managerial situation.

The Baltimore Sun reported the firing of Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo on June 18, 2007. The article stated "There apparently is no timetable for the hiring of a long-time manager but Davey Johnson and [Joe] Girardi are at the top of the front office's wish list of potential replacements, according to club sources. Johnson was the last skipper to guide the Orioles to a winning season."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davey_Johnson

Of course I'd like to see Davey Johnson take over here in Cincinnati so I hope they go with someone else

Turn Off Ads?