Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two Key Questions For 2008

Two Key Questions For 2008

1. Do the Reds have enough on the farm and/or the flexibility to acquire via FA to win next year?

2. Is the current organizational leadership capable of correctly assessing #1 and making the corresponding moves?

I am a lot more skeptical about #2 than I am about #1.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2 key questions

1. They can be better next year. Bruce, Cueto, and Fischer all have ETA's sometime during next year, and Votto will be up by the end of this year. They can and should be better next year, but I think 2009 is the year.

2. I haven't given up on Wayne yet. He has made some good moves over his time just like he has made some bad ones. I think he is assembling some interesting arms in the bullpen also. I think Narron has to be kicked to the curb though, and if WK refuses to do it then BCast needs to step in.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Re: 2 key questions

1 - There is some promising young talent in the minors.
    2 - Yes. Krivsky's only been on the job a little over a year.

Re: Two Key Questions For 2008

If Milton and Dunn are gone, they save $20-$23 million, I believe. They should be able to purchase atleast one, if not two good FA's.

The farm should begin showing it's fruits next season.
    Who's on first?

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    If Milton and Dunn are gone, they save $20-$23 million, I believe. They should be able to purchase atleast one, if not two good FA's.

The farm should begin showing it's fruits next season.
    Some of that Milton money is already committed to raises for guys like Harang and Arroyo. It all depends on who they trade/extend/re-sign and increase budget as to how much actual cash they will have on hand this off season.

If the Reds trade Dunn, trade Lohse or let him walk after this year, trade Hatteberg, and trade Stanton or Weathers or both they should have close to 30 million dollars to spend this offseason.

looking at some of the FA lists...who can they really sign?

Weak division + marginal improvment = playoffs.

I agree that there is some help down on the farm. I'd be tempted to bring up some of the youth now to season them for next year. Get what you can for Weathers, Stanton, Hatte, and Freel (if and when he returns) and hold on to Jr. and Dunn.

We are now 17-18 games under .500. We would need to get to .500 before we could even entertain dreams of the playoffs.

I think they are possibly 4 players away from being pretty good, or at least competative in this division. A closer, another backend bullpen power arm, a RH hitting OF, and a #3 caliber SP. If Dunn is traded, I would try to add two of these with his return. Maybe the young RH OF and a backend bullpen guy. Then use the extra money from Dunn, Milton, Stanton(trade), Weathers(trade), Hatte(trade), Lohse(trade), Conine(trade) to try and sign the SP and the closer.

Did we have the right-handed bat and the #3 starter in Harris and Germano?

Problem is - WHO are you going to get for $10M per year? We are looking to trade away a guy who goes 40/100 with 100 walks and 100 runs a year, with around .390/.500/.900 every year. If you want a guy who bats .290/300 instead of .265, and has less K's - you're talking $15M+ per year.

We also need a reliable #3/#4 Pitcher. Last time I checked the FA market for pitchers was OFF THE CHARTS!!! So, I guess we could overpay for a middle reliever or a below average "proven" closer for $5M per year, but that ain't going to make us better overall.

We'd be best to keep our FA list to ONE PREMIER Guy and bring in the young guns up to take over for the Vets and shoot for 2009.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?