Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clippers unveil new stadium

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Clippers unveil new stadium

Columbus Clippers unveiled some final renditions of the Arena District ballpark.

Should be ready in 2009 which I believe would be the first year under a new contract with a different parent club (Nationals wont be back I assume - thank God). Most believe Reds and Indians will both be in negotiations for the minor league club both of whom has contracts running out for their respective AAA club.

• A three-story, brick building in left field that will feature a roof-top bar and gathering space for fans.
    • A terrace in right field where spectators can catch home runs hit over a 24-foot high outfield wall.
    • Fixed seating for 7,600 and another 1,200 seats in specialty areas such as bars and a club-level patio.
    • Lawn, picnic and standing areas that will hold a maximum 1,200 people.
    • Forty-two loge boxes behind home plate and 32 corporate suites.
    • A tree-canopied stadium concourse and natural grass playing field.
    • A special clubhouse for children where they can change clothes after playing in a fountain beyond the center-field wall.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Clippers unveil new stadium

Pretty nice. For those who've been to Louisville or Buffalo, how will this compare to those two facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Pretty nice. For those who've been to Louisville or Buffalo, how will this compare to those two facilities?
    Compared to Indianapolis and Toledo, it kicks their rear.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

And compared to Cooper Stadium, its off the scales better.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    And compared to Cooper Stadium, its off the scales better.
    Not even close. Cooper Stadium is the best part of that area of Columbus, and boy, that doesn't say much. What a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Not even close. Cooper Stadium is the best part of that area of Columbus, and boy, that doesn't say much. What a dump.
    Actually, the graveyard next door is better... and the people there are nicer.

West Siyeeeed!
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

In any event, I hope the Reds beat out the Indians for Columbus (if there is indeed a fight between the two). I would much rather watch the Reds ir Indians future playing than the Nationals... How depressing is it to see DeAngelo Jiminez, Booker, Brandon Watson and Michilak? Very.

Its the all Reds Reject Clippers!

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    In any event, I hope the Reds beat out the Indians for Columbus (if there is indeed a fight between the two). I would much rather watch the Reds ir Indians future playing than the Nationals... How depressing is it to see DeAngelo Jiminez, Booker, Brandon Watson and Michilak? Very.

Its the all Reds Reject Clippers!
    If the Clippers become a Reds affiliate, I'd lose my mud.

I'd seriously buy season tickets.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I agree, anything is a step up from Cooper Stadium. Hopefully the price of tickets won't go up too much with the new stadium.
    That whole area where the new stadium will be and where the Jackets play is nice. It wasn't that long ago that you wouldn't want to be caught down in that area of town!

They should have called that area the Prison District. That would have been unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Compared to Indianapolis and Toledo, it kicks their rear.

can't stand toledo but 5/3 field is fantastic. indy's park looked real nice from the rca dome. i'm sure when the one is done in columbus it will have rave revues as well.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I am a Columbus resident and regularly attend Clipper games---but let me be the first to say if any city doesnt deserve a new stadium--its us....we are woeful as a baseball town. Its depressing when the only thing that draws fans is lukewarm ten cent hot dogs....also from what I have read there is no way we get a Reds affiliate...Louisville has that locked up for a period of time that is beyond the end of the Nats contract with C-Bus.
    Last edited by redsfan1966; 06-18-2007 at 07:15 PM. Reason: addition to post

Quote Originally Posted by Jharb74 View Post
    I agree, anything is a step up from Cooper Stadium. Hopefully the price of tickets won't go up too much with the new stadium.
    That whole area where the new stadium will be and where the Jackets play is nice. It wasn't that long ago that you wouldn't want to be caught down in that area of town!
    I read today that they plan to keep the ticket prices the same, anywhere from $5-$10 apiece. It will be interesting to see how the organization draws in the new stadium. Clipper teams in the past few years since I've been in Columbus have not drawn well at all. I went to a game earlier in the year and there couldn't have been more than 500 people there. We'll see if it is because of Cooper Stadium and its surrounding area or if Columbus just isn't a good baseball town.

And Redsfan1966, I agree, those 10 cent hot dogs are awful. It doesn't get much better than eating a hot dog at a baseball games, but those things aren't edible.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    If the Clippers become a Reds affiliate, I'd lose my mud.

I'd seriously buy season tickets.
    I'm with you on that. I go to a few Clippers games a year anyway, but if they were a Reds farm team, I might just find myself at a few hundred more.

By the way, the stadium looks great for a minor league club.

Turn Off Ads?