Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clippers unveil new stadium

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: Clippers unveil new stadium

The Clippers were a draw because they were the yankees. More like that allure than not i would guess.

But winning was the formula to get people to attend a game at that dump called Cooper Stadium in the armpit called the West Side..

I think the Arena District alone is the draw now. I dunno who will be the major league affiliate (sounding like the Indians ugh) but I dont think it will much matter what with all the activities surrounding the ballpark.

Shouldnt they call it the Arena/Stadium District now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    The Clippers were a draw because they were the yankees. More like that allure than not i would guess.

But winning was the formula to get people to attend a game at that dump called Cooper Stadium in the armpit called the West Side..

I think the Arena District alone is the draw now. I dunno who will be the major league affiliate (sounding like the Indians ugh) but I dont think it will much matter what with all the activities surrounding the ballpark.

Shouldnt they call it the Arena/Stadium District now?
    If the Indians move into Columbus, I suspect the team will do quite well. The Indians move a lot of good players through their system.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

They'll rake in the cash with Indians backing them up.

I think the Clippers are being set up for success.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Baseball America blog article at the link below says that Cleveland not renewing its Player Development Contract with Buffalo is another log on the fire for the Indians AAA operation moving to Columbus.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/business/?p=80
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I am a Columbus resident and regularly attend Clipper games---but let me be the first to say if any city doesnt deserve a new stadium--its us....we are woeful as a baseball town. Its depressing when the only thing that draws fans is lukewarm ten cent hot dogs....also from what I have read there is no way we get a Reds affiliate...Louisville has that locked up for a period of time that is beyond the end of the Nats contract with C-Bus.
    I thought Louisville was not only a solid baseball town, but a solid sports town in general? I can't imagine Cincy ONCE AGAIN switching to another area city for their AAA team. From what I read, the Reds left Indy because Indy wasn't "showing them the love." I was just at Victory Field last night (Indianapolis's stadium) and it's beautiful. It's a pitchers park and it's unbelievable nice for a AAA stadium.

If Cleveland comes to Columbus it will become a pretty big Indians town from now on. The Reds are covered less and less here. The big sports talk station has the Indians games and pretty much always talk about Cleveland. Also living up here most of this part of the state thinks Cincinnati wants to be part of Kentucky along with the preceived lack of disinterest in Ohio State form the Cincinnati area.

Most Cincinnatians I know try to fight off the Kentucky connection. You're right about the Ohio State thing, though. I think there are more Wildcats fans than Buckeyes fans in Cincinnati.

Columbus really needed a new baseball stadium. The old one was just embarrassing anymore. I'm happy for them.

Glad to see them finally getting a new stadium. I'm surprised it is not bigger considering it's location downtown. I would have thought at least big enough for 10,000.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The Columbus Dispatch is saying that the Clippers have signed a 4-year deal with Cleveland.

http://dispatch.com/live/content/spo...s.html?sid=101
    /r/reds

Ya can't teach speed...

I beg your pardon...have you ever been to a game in either Louisville or Indy. Based on your comment it sounds like you haven't. I've attended numerous games at both and I can say without reservation that both are top shelf stadiums. that's not to say that the new Columbus stadium won't be nice too, but to say it kicks their butt before the stadium is even built might be a bit over the top.

Besides, baseball stadiums are a bit like churches.....its not the building that counts, its what goes on inside that matters. Some of the most fun games I ever attended were in the old Billings Mustangs stadium that was just torn down last year. It was a decrepid old stadium but the baseball was excellent and it was a hoot to attend games there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Compared to Indianapolis and Toledo, it kicks their rear.

Just realized this is a pretty old thread. Just want to comment, I would be surrpised if the Reds left here (Louisville) anytime soon. It doesn't seem to make sense. Outside of Cincinnati, I would bet the next big city with the most amount of BULK Reds fans is from here. I remember our old newspaper census on sports teams. The Cincinnati Reds were the only pro team on that survey where there was a vast majority of fans. NBA/NFL .. Bengals/Colts up there, but still, this isn't a city for either, most were fans of other teams combined. NBA, no consistency.

I can see why people of Ohio would obviously like to keep it IN state, but you're not going to find a better supported Triple A team than here. I think thats only going to get more supported with the new state of the art basketball arena and huge development going on downtown even more.

In fact, if for whatever reason the Reds couldn't play in their stadium for some extended period of time from some act of nature - we could easily be a transplant team and draw the same numbers the Reds typically do, if our current stadium was big enough.
    Last edited by LouisvilleCARDS; 09-19-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?