Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bengal Number Ten

Bengal Number Ten

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/N...270962-ap.html

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) - Running back Quincy Wilson was charged with disorderly conduct for failing to disperse after a weekend wedding party, making him the 10th Cincinnati Bengals player arrested in the past 14 months.

The former West Virginia star was with a wedding party celebrating outside a downtown bar around 3 a.m. Sunday when he and 13 others refused a police request to leave, assistant prosecuting lawyer Lora Maynard said Monday.

Some were charged with disorderly conduct, others with obstructing justice and underage drinking, police Lt. Hank Dial said.

The running back was booked at a jail and released Sunday afternoon. He is scheduled to appear in Huntington Municipal Court on July 19.

Bengals spokesman Jack Brennan said it was inappropriate for the team to comment on Wilson's arrest because the matter is unresolved.

Dial said police wanted to disperse the crowd because some shots had been fired about 30 minutes earlier a block from the bar. None of those arrested with Wilson were thought to be connected to the shooting, Dial said.

Wilson is the 10th Bengals player arrested in the past 14 months, a streak of misconduct that drew the attention of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, resulted in three suspensions and made Cincinnati an example of players gone bad.

Wilson is the third former West Virginia player in the NFL to get into trouble in recent years. Wilson was the Mountaineers' leading rusher his final season.

Atlanta drafted the running back in the seventh round in 2004. The Bengals signed him off the Falcons' practice squad later that year, and he spent the next year on Cincinnati's practice squad.

Wilson got into three games last season, carrying two times for 2 yards in an Oct. 1 loss to New England. He was waived on Oct. 19 and signed back onto the practice squad.

Wilson, who lives in Weirton, was a teammate of receiver Chris Henry, a Bengals player who has been arrested four times. Goodell suspended Henry for two games last season for misconduct, and has suspended him for the first eight games of the 2007 season for his most recent convictions.

Another former West Virginia player, Titans cornerback Adam (Pacman) Jones, has been suspended for the entire 2007 season. Jones was being sought by police as a witness in a shooting early Monday involving members of his entourage after a fight at an Atlanta strip club.

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was suspended last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He has yet to be reinstated.

Last month, linebacker A.J. Nicholson was arrested on a domestic violence charge in northern Kentucky, across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. The Bengals released him three days later.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Bengal Number Ten

Who had Quincy Wilson in the pool?
    Witty signature.

Disorderly conduct and a few hours in the drunk tank? Come on... that hardly counts...
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

For a Level Playing Field

Running back Quincy Wilson was charged with disorderly conduct...
    The legal term might be disorderly conduct, but my term is stupidity.

Police, "Leave or get arrested."
    Wilson, "You cannot make me leave."

An hour later Wilson sits in a cell sobering up and waiting to be released. Brilliant. And to think this guy is college educated(?).

The man/woman with the badge and gun usually gets their way. If they tell you to do something, then it is always best to do said command.

I hope Quincy learned a lesson.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

An hour later Wilson sits in a cell sobering up and waiting to be released. Brilliant. And to think this guy is college educated(?).

The man/woman with the badge and gun usually gets their way. If they tell you to do something, then it is always best to do said command.

That kind of remains to be seen if the charges stick or not. Cops can be stubborn, pigheaded, stupid, and wrong just like the rest of the general population.

I have no love for a copper that tells me I have to leave somewhere if I have a right to be there. I have no idea if this was the case or not, and I have engaged a few of our finest in a conversation or two about this matter.

That said, when the "leave or spend the night in the clink" line comes out, I leave, whether I am right or wrong, I just let them know (politely) that I think it stinks.

I realize that offices have a difficult job to do and I don't want to make it harder on them to do it, but I don't really want to give up my rights either.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

The in-college version of Roy is out with pals.

When a policeman goes to arrest on of Roy's pals for being overly demonstrative in a local pub, Roy says "You can't take him. If you do, you'll have to take all of us".

Policeman says "OK" and calls for backup.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I know what you guys mean. I have disagreed with an officer or two in my younger days, but always knew when to draw the line (when it became go home or go to jail!).

Quincy should also be smart enough to know (??) that any offense is not a good thing these days when you are a Bengals player... might be your job. Especially when a guy named Irons was taken with #2.

Quincy, what do you have to say for yourself? If an officer says to disperse, disperse. Don't ruin my good name.

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Did any average Bengals fan know who he was? I doubt it. . . but the schmuck made us look even worse.

I still blame racial profiling. I know this is not that big of a deal but when is enough going to be enough and Marvin Lewis start being held responsible for the criminal activities of his team?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I knew of him in college, but didn't realize that we had drafted him.

The Bengals didn't draft him. I believe he was a 7th round draft pick of the Falcons (insert Vick jokes). Also, despite being an unknown, I think he started a youth program in the area. For all we know, a friend of his could've been mistreated by a police officer somehow, so Wilson decided to stick up for his friend and ended up not doing the smart thing (which isn't always the same as the right thing). I'm holding back judgment on this one--possibly even after a conviction, depending on the news that comes out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Did any average Bengals fan know who he was? I doubt it. . . but the schmuck made us look even worse.
    Well, he did play for WVU.

I watched the local news here Monday when the story broke, and it looks more like racial profiling to me. My guess is more details will be released though, so we can have a better idea of what is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    ... and it looks more like racial profiling to me.

Get a good attorney!

Bottom-line... you are in a bar at 3 am and the cops say you did not heed their command. Tough case to beat. You might get a deal of some sort b/c it is a very petty thing, but "a bar plus + 3 am" does not help your cause. Right or wrong.

Turn Off Ads?