Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Krivsky's attempts at solidifying the SS position.

Re: Krivsky's attempts at solidifying the SS position.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I've supported this "regime" as much as anyone around here, but I call it like I see it, and what I see is a double standard at times in this clubhouse. Gonzo and Hamilton are acquisitions of the current administration, and Edwin and Coffey are not. Coincidence? Maybe. But I'm not so sure anymore.
    Yet EE's trip to Louisville seems to have shaken him from his doldrums. He's hitting far better than before his trip, and my perception is that his fielding errors have decreased also. To a lesser extent, Coffee's trip to Louisvlle seems to have helped him get focused.

One could argue that it's just shear coinidence that these two players happened to finally get hot exactly at the same time they went to Louisville, however, seems to me, double standard and all, the move with EE and TC worked.

Hamiltons a special excption because of his rule 5 status. He's going to get a lot more rope. He also doesn't have a track record of the problems (fielding and lack of focus for EE, Coffey's apparent lack of self confidence) the other players have.

Gonzo is likely to get more rope also since this is his first trip at the rodeo with Cincy, the situation with his children, and, oh yea, he's been over-achieving at the plate to offset his errors in the field.

Players are different and are motivated by different things. Treating them all exactly the same to protect their self-esteme makes little sense, IMO,.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nothing in Harris' minor league record suggested he'd blow up like he has this season. It's a fluke. Not on the level of Pokey Reese in 1999, but a fluke nonetheless. I don't really fault Krivsky for getting rid of him; I just don't see why he bothered to acquire him in the first place.
    What I fault him for is not giving him a better look last September when the Reds had blown it. If you're going to give up on a guy at least look at him first. I was an advocate of Harris playing the RH half of the 1B platoon a la Rich if no impact bat could be acquired. Conine is not an impact bat, but hey, he costs a lot more so he must be worth more in Wayne's world.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Maybe EE has a little D Jimenez in him......not as bad...but enough that you need to kick him in the behind more than pther players.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I haven't been singing the "the regime bashes Edwin" tune at all this season, but the fact is, there seems to be a double standard. When Josh Hamilton failed to run out a ball that he lost sight of, we heard nothing from Narron or anyone else about it. When Edwin failed to do the same, he was removed from the game.

I feel bad for Gonzo, and I hope all is well with him and his family, but the fact is, he's continued to be given the benefit of the doubt, while guys like Edwin and Coffey are shipped to Louisville. I've supported this "regime" as much as anyone around here, but I call it like I see it, and what I see is a double standard at times in this clubhouse. Gonzo and Hamilton are acquisitions of the current administration, and Edwin and Coffey are not. Coincidence? Maybe. But I'm not so sure anymore.
    Disagree completely with this. EE and Coffey are young players without much major league experience. EE, I think, isn't even 25 yet. They went down to AAA because they are both still learning. EE especially is a work in progress. Gonzo is a veteran, about 30 years old, who has started on championship teams and is well into his prime. It is unheard of to send him to AAA because he's made some errors this year. And Gonzo has hit well, EE was struggling both at bat and in the field.

I don't agree with all this stuff about EE's treatment by the team. The Reds see him as a very young, raw player who needs more work. Both last year and this, it was obvious that he worked on throwing when in AAA. He went down there for a reason, not anybody's "double standard." And Narron has given him "tough love" sometimes by lifting him from games or benching him. Narron is experienced enough to judge if a young player needs that.

This has nothing to do with whether Krivsky acquired a guy or not. Indeed, Coffey got an extension for next year -- if anything, Krivsky was too kind to him given his performance.

As for Hamilton, again, the young man has a particular background which is publicly known. He obviously needs to be handled in an individualized manner, suitable for his particular situation.

I really do not see any conspiracy here.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-20-2007 at 12:55 AM.

I certainly don't believe in a conspiracy, and I agree completely that veteran's are, and should be, handled different than younger players. When I was talking of a double standard, I was pointing more specifically to Edwin being benched during a game for not running out a play, yet Hamilton not even being approached during the game about such an incident. I love Josh Hamilton, but I'm of the opinion that if you treated one player such a way, you should treat the other player the exact same way in a similar situation.

Perhaps Narron handled it the same way behind closed doors, and that's all that matters. And if that's the case, I'll gladly eat a bowl full of crow

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I would suggest that a tweaked hammy, serrious health issues with his child and being surrounded by a "culture of crappyness" might be worth considering as possible reasons for increased errors by Gonzo before just laying out the tired old "the ragime is mean to Edwin" song.
    You're right. It's too easy for us to forget that there's so much human emotion involved. They have lives they have to think about when they wake up and baseball is just a part of it. As Dan Johnson said yesterday, "Baseball is played between the ears", and that's why there are so many highs and lows in sports. The physics of the body doesn't change, but what goes on between the ears does from moment to moment. That's the real reason for swings in statistics, not "luck".
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    The edit feature is only available, IIRC up to 6 hours after the original post. After 6 hours, you cannot edit the post. Just FYI.
    Well, it only took me about 10 years to figure out what IIRC means as I just figured it out right now. If I Remember Correctly. So, I might not make my edits within 6 hours sometimes.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Nothing in Harris' minor league record suggested he'd blow up like he has this season. It's a fluke. Not on the level of Pokey Reese in 1999, but a fluke nonetheless. I don't really fault Krivsky for getting rid of him; I just don't see why he bothered to acquire him in the first place.
    ASSETS: Harris is an athletic infielder, able to play second, third or short quite well. At the plate, he hits line drives consistently with some pop.

FLAWS: At times, he can be too intense and he could stand to walk more often.

CAREER POTENTIAL: If he catches a break, a solid everyday infielder, better at second than third.

WOY found this from the Tampa Bay Star the day of the trade.

"Real" scouting reports, not ones from fantasy league websites, also reported him as being an above average fielder. He's not going anywhere in Tampa. He'll play for 4 good years there just as Craig Monroe gave 4 good years to Detroit. They are very similar players: Good Defense and Good Offense for 4 years, Monroe with better power and Harris with better average. Both excellent role players.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    What I fault him for is not giving him a better look last September when the Reds had blown it. If you're going to give up on a guy at least look at him first. I was an advocate of Harris playing the RH half of the 1B platoon a la Rich if no impact bat could be acquired. Conine is not an impact bat, but hey, he costs a lot more so he must be worth more in Wayne's world.
    You know, I went back and read the REDSZONE posts about Harris last summer, and surprisingly, most here did like him as part of the trade and gave him the benefit of the doubt that he might become serviceable, and when Phillips was moved to SS "for one day", most here again were shocked that the experiment was ended so quickly. When Harris was recalled on Sep 1, and then sat and never played, again, most here were shocked that he wasn't being looked at. In hindsight, it seems pretty clear that Krivsky had a poor opinion of Harris, because the solution to the backup SS position was sitting there right in his lap.

I also have to ask those of you who are near the situation and live in the Tri-County area about John Allen. How much influence on the decision processes does he still have for the REDS?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    ASSETS: Harris is an athletic infielder, able to play second, third or short quite well. At the plate, he hits line drives consistently with some pop.

FLAWS: At times, he can be too intense and he could stand to walk more often.

CAREER POTENTIAL: If he catches a break, a solid everyday infielder, better at second than third.

WOY found this from the Tampa Bay Star the day of the trade.

"Real" scouting reports, not ones from fantasy league websites, also reported him as being an above average fielder. He's not going anywhere in Tampa. He'll play for 4 good years there just as Craig Monroe gave 4 good years to Detroit. They are very similar players: Good Defense and Good Offense for 4 years, Monroe with better power and Harris with better average. Both excellent role players.
    Oh, I understand that Harris had some upside and could be a decent role player. My question is why bother to have a guy, ANY guy, included in a trade if you're just going to let him go for cash without giving him a chance to play? Why did Krivsky get Harris in the first place if he wasn't going to give him a chance? Why not get another minor league pitcher instead?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    I also have to ask those of you who are near the situation and live in the Tri-County area about John Allen. How much influence on the decision processes does he still have for the REDS?
    Supposedly none, with respect to baseball operations.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?