Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costs...

Costs...

I know every place is different, but just to get a decent idea of what i'm going to be paying.

In August, my wife and I will be moving into our own apartment, going to school, etc.

Our rent doesn't include electric so how much am I looking at? I've heard most numbers close to $100, depending on the size.

The apartment is pretty small. Probably 12x12 living room and 12x12 bedroom. The kitchen and bathroom are both TINY, emphasising the word tiny. So about how much am I looking at? Or if no one can compare, how much are you paying?

Also, we are looking to get cable and cable internet. I can't really find even an educated guess as to how much I'd be looking at. Will that run about $50? I have no idea.

Thanks guys

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Costs...

Power bills vary wildly, so I can't help you there. Our cable internet costs $45 per month, and our total cable bill is $130 for digital basic (and RoadRunner).

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I know every place is different, but just to get a decent idea of what i'm going to be paying.

In August, my wife and I will be moving into our own apartment, going to school, etc.

Our rent doesn't include electric so how much am I looking at? I've heard most numbers close to $100, depending on the size.

The apartment is pretty small. Probably 12x12 living room and 12x12 bedroom. The kitchen and bathroom are both TINY, emphasising the word tiny. So about how much am I looking at? Or if no one can compare, how much are you paying?

Also, we are looking to get cable and cable internet. I can't really find even an educated guess as to how much I'd be looking at. Will that run about $50? I have no idea.

Thanks guys
    My apartment is similar to the size of yours, maybe a little bigger. I would say my average electric bill is around $80. It can be as low as $50 in the Spring and Fall when I don't use the air or heat. In the winter months, it goes up if you use the heat a lot. Here's what I do in the Winter to keep the price down: 1) When you leave for the day, turn the heat way down to 58-60 degrees. 2) When you get home, turn it up just a little to 62 or so. It's cold, but you can get used to it. Just wear sweat shirts and use blankets when you watch t.v. If it's too cold, just turn it up just a bit. 3) Get a heating blanket for your bed. That's the key. It'll be warm under the sheets and cold outside. It's great for sleeping.

Believe it or not, you can get a decent price on your cable bill/internet bill. I use Time Warner. My first few bills were $110.00 after taxes for cable/dvr/high speed internet. Later on I called Time Warner and threatened to leave for Satellite t.v., etc. and they lowered my bill to $81.00 after taxes. Much better! You should be able to get cable and high speed for under $90.

My water bill is a little high at approx. $30 a month.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

TS, I don't know anything about the costs in your area, but I can tell you a few things about living in a microscopic apartment with a kid.

Believe it or not the place you're describing sounds large compared to the place my wife and I had when our first child came along. We lived there for three years and it was tight. Go to your local Target, Wal-Mart, Bed, Bath & Beyond and get yourself one of those assemble-it-yourself towel storage racks that uses the wall space above your toilet. You'll also want closet organizers and shelving wherever you can fit it. There needs to be a concrete place for every item you own. That sort of hyper regimentation may sound like a pain in the backside, but it will save you from utter chaos.

At some point you're going to want a room divider for the bedroom or some curtain hanging assembly for the middle of the room so that the tike isn't staring right at you the second he/she opens his/her eyes.

Try to make everything do more than one thing. We made the top of my son's dresser into his changing station. We kept our TV on a storage chest. Our son's bassinet doubled as a playpen.

Currently we get cable, high speed Internet and unlimited long distance phone service for $107 in Boston. You'll probably have to make the call on whether you want a home phone or mobile phones. Home phone is probably cheaper and, though this may sound bizarre to someone your age, you can live a prefectly happy life without a cell phone.

Though if you're both in school and your wife is going to worry like crazy if she can't get in touch with you at any given moment (she'd hardly be unique if this were the case) then mobile might be worth the extra cash. I don't know what individual high speed Internet packages go for (my guess is you can land something in the $30 range), but if you're not getting a home phone, you can probably save some additional money by not getting cable too. Chances are you'll get NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS through the air waves and you're still plenty media connected with the Internet and radio. No cable will probably put $350-$400 in your pocket each year and chances are you and the wife will be so busy with school and the baby that you won't have time to watch the boob tube.

Hopefully you've got heat and hot water included in your rent so you don't have to worry about costs in that area. A/C can drive up your electic bill something fierce though. As addicting as A/C can be, you can also live without that. I have for most of my life. When it's hot in the summer, go out, find some shade and drink lots of fluids. Wooded areas and pools/lakes/ponds are good places to be. Inside, keep your window shades down during the day. Direct sunlight can turn a small apartment into a sauna.
    Last edited by M2; 06-20-2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I'm not sure if you missed the miscarriage part of the other thread, or if you are assuming we try again, which I think I might have mentioned. But yeah, I'd rather not go with the kid until after we've settled in a year. (Probably means it will happen now)

I think we will go without cable TV. As for cable internet, I thought last night about just getting a wireless internet card for my computer. I am just a block or two from the school, so I'm thinking maybe I can get their internet, and if not that, then definitely an off campus student somewhere will surely have internet. This will save tons of money.

I'm not sure if you missed the miscarriage part of the other thread ...
    My deepest apologies. I did miss that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Crikies, my electric bill is never more than $25 a month, and never has been anywhere I've lived. What are you guys paying for that I'm not? I'd cry if I got a hundred dollar electric bill.

And I'm still amazed by people who refuse a land line. a lot of people do it now I guess, but after September 11 I can't fathom anyone who would consider this.

edit: I don't pay heat. That's what it is. Depending on where you live, you can find apartments that offer this.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 06-20-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Crikies, my electric bill is never more than $25 a month, and never has been anywhere I've lived. What are you guys paying for that I'm not? I'd cry if I got a hundred dollar electric bill.

And I'm still amazed by people who refuse a land line. a lot of people do it now I guess, but after September 11 I can't fathom anyone who would consider this.

edit: I don't pay heat. That's what it is. Depending on where you live, you can find apartments that offer this.
    We have an all electric house, so a $100 bill is not uncommon, but we have no gas bill.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

M2, hey it's fine. It's been a few months now and I've accepted it. Thanks for the advice though.

My mom thinks my bill won't be much over 30-50 dollars. Made me feel better. Problem though : Our heat is electric and cooling is just an air conditioner in the window of our bedroom. The stove is also electric, but I think I will do alot of grilling out.

Not looking forward to being anal about lights though haha

My two-bedroom apartment averaged around $60/mo for electricity. This spiked to around $100 when we had that really cold spell in February.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Since this is now a cheap thread... what are some good ideas for a cheap meal?

Spaghetti, tuna patties, ramen noodles, what are some others?

If you are looking to save money, look into a book called "The Tightwad Gazzette" by Amy Dacyczyn. The book will cost you twenty bucks or so but can save you hundreds if you follow its advice.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I think we will go without cable TV. As for cable internet, I thought last night about just getting a wireless internet card for my computer. I am just a block or two from the school, so I'm thinking maybe I can get their internet, and if not that, then definitely an off campus student somewhere will surely have internet. This will save tons of money.
    There are wireless hotspots all over most college campuses. Your plan will probably work just fine.

Recommendation: Eat fruits, veggies, whole grains and decent cuts of meat. It's not that much more expensive and your body doesn't work like a garbage disposal forever.

Squash and zucchini are cheap. Trader Joe's (they've got one in Norwood) has got good frozen veggies - broccoli, green beans, corn, spinach, etc. - at cheap prices. Eat them. You can actually get a lot of cheap stuff there - whole wheat pasta, olive oil, juice, milk, frozen meats and seafood.

Your local supermarket will run meat specials every week. By it in bulk, break it into amounts that you'll use for single meals (one gallon Ziploc freezer bags are a good investment) and you'll have yourself some protein for not much cash.

A can of soup can be a cheap lunch and if you read the labels you can get some that aren't packed with fat and/or sodium. Cold cuts are fairly cheap too as long as you don't make sandwiches the size of your head (which I did when I was in college and still leading an extremely active lifestyle). Making something fairly large that's going to yield leftovers tends to save you money after the up front cost - lasagna, chili, pot of soup, a roast, paella. Think about all those Thanksgiving or boiled dinner leftovers you've eaten over the years. It costs on day one, but by day three or four you've saved some serious scratch. Warning: it's difficult to get women under the age of 45 to eat leftovers (or much of anything), so assume you'll be responsible for every morsel of leftover consumption.

Buy in bulk is what I do. My parents have a membership to Sam's Club so whenever I'm home I'll get her to take me up there so I can load up. I'll just buy large quantities or chicken breasts, burgers, Cereal Bars, Chips, pop, icecream, etc. Anything that won't go bad. It's a little more expensive upfront but all of their prices are much cheaper over the long haul. I'm not sure of the membership rates but you can likely find a family member or friend with a membership that you can get to go once every so often. It's a great way to load up and save on money.

I also tend to alter my grocery buying depending on the weekly sales. The week that bread is on sale (maybe once a month) I will just buy 3-4 loaves and freeze the extra. I also buy the Kroger brand for anything that is available. It's pretty decent quality and is usually quite a bit cheaper. And finally I always use a Kroger Plus card (or whatever card your grocery might use). These little guys can save a lot of money and also many groceries have their cards tied to other promotions like another grocery in my town has however much you spend on groceries gets you up to $.30 or so off a gallon of gas at the local gas station nearby. It's a really sweet deal and helps save a lot of gas money.

Turn Off Ads?