Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amazing performance by Bailey

Amazing performance by Bailey

I have to admit, I didn't think Homer Bailey would ever meet the hype that so many have bestowed upon him. He's the first gem of a pitching prospect this organization has had in years, and I was skeptical as to how he would handle his first year in the big leagues with so much pressure on his shoulders.

Well, if tonight is any indication, he'll handle all of the pressure quite well. The A's are a team that works the count, and I was worried that Homer would be out of the game early after throwing way too many pitches. But he passed a very important test tonight. He went right after them, and didn't blink an eye in the 6th as he mowed through Swisher and Chavez with a RISP and one run already in.

But my favorite part of the game was in the 5th (I'm pretty sure it was the 5th, anyways) when Bailey failed to get his foot on the bag during the attempted double play. He was visibly cursing himself walking back to the mound, and even after the very next pitch resulted in a 6-4-3 DP to get him out of the inning, he STILL seemed to be cursing himself over the previous missed opportunity. Tonight may have been the night that Homer Bailey TRULY arrived on the Cincinnati sports scene.

Homer, you had me from hello

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Amazing performance by Bailey

Indeed, he was impressive. This is the kind of win that boosts the ol' confidence.
    Witty signature.

Phillips and Junior were just as impressive.

From mlb.com on the A's website:

"OAKLAND -- Unless you're a die-hard A's fan, you probably had one of three reasons for being at McAfee Coliseum for Tuesday night's game against the visiting Reds.
    Two of them -- you wanted to rock your old green-and-gold Aaron Harang jersey (No. 56) one last time, or you planned to pay homage to the Scott Hatteberg Era in Oakland -- didn't appear to be highly popular choices among the announced 19,351 in attendance.

The third -- you wanted to see Hall of Fame lock Ken Griffey Jr.'s sweet swing -- was the most likely, and Junior thanked you for coming by launching the 582nd home run of his career in the third inning.

But that wasn't the homer that haunted the A's during their 5-2 loss in the second game of a three-game Interleague series. Rather, it was a rail-thin, 21-year-old rookie righty named Homer Bailey.

"We ran into a pretty good pitcher tonight," A's manager Bob Geren said. "He was very impressive for a young guy. His fastball is 95 [miles per hour], he had a good breaking ball, good changeup. He really held us down."

The seventh pick in the first round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft and much-hyped throughout his Minor League career, Bailey scattered two hits over seven innings in his third big-league start to help Cincy even the series while rendering Oakland's advance scouting reports useless.

"The reports said he was supposed to be erratic," said A's second baseman Mark Ellis.

"The reports said he didn't have very good command of his fastball," echoed Geren. "He did tonight. ... He didn't really match what we were expecting at all."

Not that Bailey didn't get some assistance. He walked four, but second baseman Brandon Phillips turned in a trio of spectacular plays that prevented the A's from doing what they'd done for Chad Gaudin -- keep his career-best five-game winning streak alive -- in his previous start.

Last Thursday in Houston, Gaudin gave up five earned runs on nine hits and four walks over 4 1/3 innings, but the offense picked him up and eventually won in 11 innings.

Gaudin wasn't all that bad here on Tuesday, allowing four earned runs on seven hits and two walks over 6 2/3 innings, but the offense's luck certainly was, and mostly when the ball was hit in Phillips' direction.

"He was awesome," Ellis said.

After Ellis drew a two-out walk in the second, Dan Johnson hit a grounder past a right-lunging Jeff Conine, the Reds' first baseman, that looked destined for the right-field grass until Phillips ranged to his left and uncorked an off-balance snap throw to Bailey, who was covering the bag, to end the inning.

"It seemed like he came out of nowhere," marveled Geren. "I remember writing '4-1' on my scorecard and thinking, 'I don't ever remember writing that down.'" ... He has some incredible athletic ability."

In the third, Phillips started an inning-ending double play with a sliding stop and a snap throw in the other direction, and in the fourth he dove to his left to steal a single from Jack Cust.

"We actually did hit some balls hard tonight," Ellis said, "but he was all over the place."

The ball that Griffey hit over the wall in right for his 19th homer of the year, Gaudin and rookie A's catcher Kurt Suzuki suggested, was yet another piece of evidence in Junior's case for a first-ballot pass to Cooperstown.

"It was a good pitch," Gaudin said. "Sometimes you've just gotta tip your cap."

"The pitch to Griffey was right where he wanted to put it," Suzuki said. "It was in a good location, and he just hit it out."

The Reds took a 3-0 lead in the second on three hits, two walks and a sacrifice fly, and Griffey's homer made it 4-0.

"I got myself into trouble early again, and didn't leave [the offense] with any room for error," Gaudin said.

Oakland trimmed the lead on an RBI double by Mark Kotsay in the sixth, got closer with Suzuki's first career homer, a one-out solo shot in the eighth, and teased the crowd by getting the tying run to the plate with two out in the ninth, but Bobby Crosby struck out.

"We gave it a pretty good finish," Geren said. "Just came up a little short."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Good performance. But for me the most encouraging thing the entire night was this item from Trent's blog.

Jerry said he didn't even think about putting Homer back out for the eighth with 93 pitches. Homer hadn't gone longer than 7 innings in any outing in the majors or minors this season and Jerry wasn't going to push it, he said. Homer said he wanted to go back out for the 8th, but he always does and he understood the decision.
    That seems to go against Narron's pattern. Maybe he's figured it out (too late for Arroyo??) or maybe he's under orders. Either way, somebody in this organization just might be smart enough to keep from ruining Bailey. If so, IMO that is a nice surprise.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I went to last Thursday's game against the Angels and thought the same thing. Both teams know how to work the count and after that second inning last week, he settled in pretty good. I think Homer is doing a really great job out there and with the right mentoring he will explode (in a good way) as a major leaguer.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That seems to go against Narron's pattern. Maybe he's figured it out (too late for Arroyo??) or maybe he's under orders. Either way, somebody in this organization just might be smart enough to keep from ruining Bailey. If so, IMO that is a nice surprise.
    Perhaps it's the difference between a raw rookie pitcher and more seasoned veterans like Harrang and Arroyo. And yet, it's also possible that he recognized that Bailey didn't have gas in his last outing going in with 90 or so pitches. I'm just not convinced Jerry's as clueless as some think.

All in all, a very good game. It's been fun reading about it. And the write up from the MLB A's writer made me giddy. It's what is so maddening about this team. Games like this make you realize this team isn't as wretched as folks believe and their record indicates. The right word is "maddening".

from John Fay:

The A’s are known for their patience but Bailey negated that by throwing strikes early in the count.

"I knew they were going to patient," he said. "I kept to my game plan and tried to get Strike 1. Once you get one or two strikes on them, they’ve got to swing the bat."

Bailey attached no significance to pitching on the road as opposed to home - where his first two starts were.

"A baseball field’s a baseball field," he said. "No difference."
    i love that he obviously read and retained the scouting report.

and from C. Trent:
    "Bases are still white, we use wooden bats up here just like we did down there. We have jerseys and cleats," Bailey said. "Sure there's a lot more fans and bigger stadiums, but that (stuff) doesn't play a part when you're out there."
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Oh, how I wish I had not had to work last night - it sounds like he pitched a rather good game, and looked impressive from the highlights.
    Imagine how good his numbers would be had he been taken out earlier his last game; and if Hopper hadn't tried to play Dave Parker with a throw to home in the previous start.

I have to say, I was one of the naysayers about bringing up Bailey and thought he wasn't ready yet. After watching him last night and seeing his continued improvement, I was wrong about it. He's ready. Holding his own (and more) against the Indians, Angels, and A's is saying something.

All professional athletes are competitive as all get-out. But Homer seems to ratchet it up a notch above the average MLBer. His competitiveness is one of his outstanding abilities.

Pay attention to the open sky

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

He had good stuff last night, and while the walks continued (4 in seven IP won't cut it, but he is 21), he did have good command last night. Of the four walks, I think one was a long count (3-2 with a couple of fouls) while the other were four pitch temporary lapses. He also showed the plus curve last night, made a couple of guys look silly with it. I had to laugh at Brenneman and Welsh just going on and on about the decision to take him out.

I watched up to about the 5th inning and Bailey looked dominant. It got to the point where you were actually thinking he could put together another few hitless innings. One thing I noticed is that Bailey had made 3 starts and had 3 different catchers. Greg Maddox may have thrown to 3 different catchers over the past 3 years with 3 different organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    He had good stuff last night, and while the walks continued (4 in seven IP won't cut it, but he is 21), he did have good command last night. Of the four walks, I think one was a long count (3-2 with a couple of fouls) while the other were four pitch temporary lapses. He also showed the plus curve last night, made a couple of guys look silly with it. I had to laugh at Brenneman and Welsh just going on and on about the decision to take him out.
    On the four pitch walks, several of the pitches were close, maybe even borderline. With more experience, his location will get better. With a different ump, they might not have been four pitch walks. That being said, I agree that 4 walks over seven is worrisome.

I hate to throw cold water on this thread but we need to remember that Homer was pitching last night in a park and weather ideally suited for pitchers. His next start will be in Philly in a park and climate totally opposite Oakland's.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Not a lot of deep flyball outs where the park "saved" him, as it were, though, Chip. Matter of fact, I don't really remember a ball that was tagged and had to be run down deep in the gaps all night, save Kotsays gapper to score the lone run. Not like Hamilton was covering crazy amounts of real estate to make plays...

I saw a ton of groundballs and weak pop-ups by and large. You can see the talent, regardless. And last night is further evidence that he is far from over-matched at this point as he works on his command etc.

Jerry said he didn't even think about putting Homer back out for the eighth with 93 pitches. Homer hadn't gone longer than 7 innings in any outing in the majors or minors this season and Jerry wasn't going to push it, he said. Homer said he wanted to go back out for the 8th, but he always does and he understood the decision.
    I'm glad Narron took him out after 93 pitches but - and this is my lack of confidence in Jerry coming through - I really hope he undertands that the number of pitches is more important than the innings. I have to say I'm skeptical.

Nice to see Homer have such a strong outing though.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?