Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NY Times: Not Everyone Wants Channel That’s All Big Ten, All the Time

Re: NY Times: Not Everyone Wants Channel That’s All Big Ten, All the Time

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The picture is a little less rosy than that. According to the BTN web site, the BTN alternates with ESPN for the second and third choice of games each week, then the BTN will broadcast the games that are left over, too.

On another note, for those fans like me who don't live in one of the 8 Big Ten states, the BTN is trying to work out a deal to stream games over the Internet. That was good news to me and the reason I was looking at the site in the first place. I did get the impression that it might not happen this season, though. The site kept mentioning that the BTN has a 20--year contract to broadcast games. I hope they get the streaming worked out in the first ten years of the contract rather than the second.
    I read they are looking into streaming on the internet but they won't have that up for the early part of the season. So probably late this year at best for the online streaming if it happens at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Anyone that gets Insight cable they are set to announce a deal later today with the Big Ten network. For those of us with Time Warner still no deal.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/i...&FeatureID=250

By John Ourand, Staff Writer

The Big Ten Network is finalizing details with Insight Communications to have the network up at tomorrow's launch, sources say. The network will be on the expanded basic tier in Ohio. Insight, the ninth largest cable operator in the U.S. with 1.34 million subs, is the largest cable operator to cut a deal with BTN. Comcast and Time Warner Cable still do not have deals. The number of homes Insight has in the Big Ten footprint could not be determined. A formal announcement could come as soon as this afternoon

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was surprised yesterday to see an announcement that one of the local cable providers here (not one that I can get, unfortunately) signed a deal to put the BTN on all tiers of their system. There will be people in San Antonio watching Big Ten games on this channel before most of the cable subscribers in Big Ten states get it.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Sure. How do you work it if the husband wants all the ESPN channels while the wife wants all the Lifetime channels?
    Sexist much? :
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Sexist much? :
    Well. so what? What's wrong with bein' sexy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I talked to Dish Network today, two different people, one obviously outsourced in India, the other was a normal American. The guy in India acted like they thought BTN might be added soon. I got cut off from him, and called back, got the American guy. Apparently around late afternoon talks broke off with BTN and Dish and they are now planning on going without BTN this year. Things change I know, but it isn't looking good.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Big Ten Network deal called 'fairly unlikely'

By Kyle Nagel

Thursday, August 30, 2007

It is "fairly unlikely" that Time Warner Cable will reach an agreement to carry the Big Ten Network before this weekend's college football games, a BTN spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The network, which debuts at 8 tonight, has faced contentious negotiations with the country's major cable companies about carrying the channel dedicated to the Big Ten Conference.

While some providers — including DirecTV, Insight and Buckeye CableSystem — have purchased the channel, area Ohio State fans serviced by Time Warner almost certainly won't be able to watch the Buckeyes' season opener Saturday against Youngstown State in their homes.

"The Big Ten Network continues to insist on being part of our Standard Cable service requiring all our customers — fans and nonfans — to pay their high price," Time Warner spokeswoman Karen Baxter said in an e-mail.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I don't know what the big fuss is all about. The BTN doesn't belong on basic cable, it's a sports plan channel if there ever was one. I don't know of any other regional sports channel that gets placed on basic. Why should this one be different?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I don't know what the big fuss is all about. The BTN doesn't belong on basic cable, it's a sports plan channel if there ever was one. I don't know of any other regional sports channel that gets placed on basic. Why should this one be different?
    Oh I agree and I hate them for doing this. But I want to see my Buckeye games. If they pulled this with the Reds I would be furious as well, and I would try to get those games.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Because the BTN people doing the negotiating want it to be different. Since they have the content, they believe that they hold enough of the cards to dictate the terms of the deal. By doing their negotiating right before the season, they're gambling that there will be more consumers begging their cable provider for the content than begging for their cable rates not to go up. The media coverage I've been reading online about this from Big Ten country is 99% focused on "not getting to see the games" rather than "cable rates will go up."
    /r/reds

Directv isn't charging more for the channel so why would cable have to? According to the DTV website, the channel is standard with the Choice programming package and up.

It isn't being treated like a regional sports channel either. It's actually being placed just below the NFL Network in the channel lineup, not with the regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Directv isn't charging more for the channel so why would cable have to? According to the DTV website, the channel is standard with the Choice programming package and up.

It isn't being treated like a regional sports channel either. It's actually being placed just below the NFL Network in the channel lineup, not with the regionals.
    One reason Directv doesn't charge extra for it is Fox owns 49% of the Big Ten Network they also currently own Directv so they are making money off this that is why they were the first major provider to sign up for the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    One reason Directv doesn't charge extra for it is Fox owns 49% of the Big Ten Network they also currently own Directv so they are making money off this that is why they were the first major provider to sign up for the network.
    Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for that info.

I've got Fox Sports Net and Sports Time Ohio both on basic in Toledo. Probably not a surprise then that I'm getting Big 10 Network on basic either I suppose.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't know what the big fuss is all about.
    Neither do I.

Cable companies are being perfectly reasonable here -- BTN is basically asking to charge me for a couple 2nd and 3rd tier football matchups, some basketball games and then a lot of offseason and mid week nothing.

If you're a Big 11 fan, you should have the option to pay for that kind of niche programming. The rest of us shouldn't be forced to subsidize.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?