Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Swings

Ugly Swings

As I sit here watching the Red Sox pound the living snot out of the Braves, it got me to thinking.

Manny Rameriez has one hideously ugly swing. Not his "normal" swing but his "homerun swing". The one where he lets go with one hand, the braids swing around his head and he has that "look".

I can't really explain it well, but watching his homerun swing actually ticks me off for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a great ballplayer, and I wouldn't mind him being in a Reds uni, instead of a Red Sox uni.

But I hate his swing.

Anybody else out there who's swing just drives you batty for reasons explained or otherwise?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Ugly Swings

I haven't been able to stand watching Andruw Jones swing this year. It seems like with every swing he's using every bit of energy in his body just to try to hit a homerun.

I've only watched a handful of Braves games though, but in those few I've seen him fall to one knee while swinging out of his shoes in at least 5 different at bats.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Any swing Juan Castro takes when Josh Hamilton is on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    As I sit here watching the Red Sox pound the living snot out of the Braves, it got me to thinking.

Manny Rameriez has one hideously ugly swing. Not his "normal" swing but his "homerun swing". The one where he lets go with one hand, the braids swing around his head and he has that "look".

I can't really explain it well, but watching his homerun swing actually ticks me off for some reason. Don't get me wrong, he's a great ballplayer, and I wouldn't mind him being in a Reds uni, instead of a Red Sox uni.

But I hate his swing.

Anybody else out there who's swing just drives you batty for reasons explained or otherwise?
    Really? He's got about the prettiest RH swing I've ever seen. It's incredibly smooth and consistent. I'm sorta stunned by this thread.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post

But I hate his swing.

Did you notice Dustin Pedroia's swing while you were watching that game? Because everyone hates it.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Austin Kearns. Not sure why.

Fav RH swing: Manny by far. With Cedric, pretty, and effective swing.
    Least Fav RH Swing: Kearns by far. I have disliked his swing from day one, and I still don't understand how he bats .250.

Fav LH swing: Jr.
    Least fav LH swing: Hamilton, although very effective, it's not pretty, and that is all I am basing this off of. (The Mayor is close here, and Felix Pie)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Really? He's got about the prettiest RH swing I've ever seen. It's incredibly smooth and consistent. I'm sorta stunned by this thread.
    Stunned? Wow. Imagine if I posted something really controversial.

His swing is quick, and most definatley effective. But there is just something about it that bugs me. As I said in my original post, I can't really explain why it irritates me. Its most likely irrational, that's for sure.

Maybe it's that little way he sorta throws the bat down and looks all "intense" after his swing that really irks me.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Have to agree that Manny's swing is one of the more picturesque righthanded swings in the game today.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Yay!

I used to hate Fred McGriff's swing.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Slammin' Sammy Sosa!!!!

Guess it's not so much the swing as it is that stupid skip-to-my-lou dance that he does after it.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I haven't been able to stand watching Andruw Jones swing this year. It seems like with every swing he's using every bit of energy in his body just to try to hit a homerun.

I've only watched a handful of Braves games though, but in those few I've seen him fall to one knee while swinging out of his shoes in at least 5 different at bats.

Jones has always done that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Jones has always done that.
    Yep. But it's gotten much more pronounced the last couple of years.

Kind of like the way Bret Boone's swing kept getting worse as his tenure in Cincinnati dragged on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Me too. If someone asked me who's got the best looking swing in baseball, my answer, without hesitation, would be Manny Ramirez.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Jim Furyk.

Turn Off Ads?