Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forklifts are heavy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Forklifts are heavy

I found that out the hard way today. After doing a couple local runs in Cincinnati, I was off to Dayton with a couple loads, one of them a skid piled high with document boxes for the Federal Records warehouse in Moraine. I got to Moraine and pulled into the warehouse and waited a few minutes for the forklift driver to come and unload the skid. He finally got the skid off my van and I walked over to get him to sign my manifest so I could leave and go deliver the other load. I walked over to the side of the forklift and handed him my clipboard and waited there for him to sign the page. At that point he must have decided that he couldn't sign for the load and he wanted to have his boss sign. He also decided that he would just drive the forklift over to where his boss was, but he didn't bother to tell me that he was about to move. He just hit the gas and proceeded to drive the rear wheel right over my left foot. OUCH!!!

I let out a pretty good scream, he ran over and apologized profusely, and I just stood there wincing in pain and trying to decide how to reply to his asking me if I was ok. Finally I sat down and took off my boot to see how bad the damage was and I just had a bunch of swollen toes that were turning some interesting colors. I was still able to move the toes, so I put my boot back on and got ready to pull out. There was a report taken and I got a free trip to the E.R. courtesy of the US government. Here's the miraculous thing. Nothing was broken, just some nasty bruises and a lot of swelling. I went and delivered the other load and continued to work the rest of the day until I got home a little after 10:00 this evening. I can walk ok with shoes on, but barefoot is a bit difficult since I can't put much weight on the toes without a shoe to lend support. I hope it feels a bit better tomorrow because right now it's still hurting quite a bit. Beware absent minded forklift drivers.

Re: Forklifts are heavy

Glad you're OK, ORH. Were you wearing steeltoes?

Your thread title reminded me of cool L7 CD I have - "Bricks Ae Heavy"
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    Glad you're OK, ORH. Were you wearing steeltoes?

Your thread title reminded me of cool L7 CD I have - "Bricks Ae Heavy"
    I wasn't wearing steeltoes, just regular work boots. That's the amazing thing about it. That thing should have broken something. It sure feels like there was more damage done, the way it's hurting. I just took an Alleve and I'm hoping it will subside enough for me to get some sleep.

Ouch ORH..glad you're ok.
    Go Gators!

Forklifts are heavy
    I always suspected as much. Thanks for confirming.

All kidding aside, glad you're ok, ORH.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Glad you're OK, ORH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yikes. Glad to hear nothing's broken.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Steel toes may have made your situation worse. Steel toes are designed to hold the weight of a forklift. The steel plate could have been driven down into your foot. Consider yourself very lucky.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

ORH, glad to hear that you are (going to be) okay. I'm really glad it was your toes and not higher up on the foot. A broken arch, whatever those bones are, is quite bad if I understand it correctly. Nice to meet you at GameDay the other night as well.

Michael

Hope your foot feels better.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I had a "friend" accidently drive his Pinto over my foot once. Same thing, lots of swearing and swelling, but nothing broken. Very weird.

Glad to hear you are ok.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I had a "friend" accidently drive his Pinto over my foot once. Same thing, lots of swearing and swelling, but nothing broken. Very weird.

Glad to hear you are ok.
    Righty, you are actually a lot luckier than this poster. Where that Pinto weighed in at just over 2000lbs and had air in the tire, that forklift likely weighed about 7500lbs with solid tires. If it was a front tire you were lucky, if it was a rear tire you were miraculously so. I work in the material handling industry, and forklift accidents such as this can have devastating results. Count your blessings, I am glad you are OK.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Righty, you are actually a lot luckier than this poster. Where that Pinto weighed in at just over 2000lbs and had air in the tire, that forklift likely weighed about 7500lbs with solid tires. If it was a front tire you were lucky, if it was a rear tire you were miraculously so. I work in the material handling industry, and forklift accidents such as this can have devastating results. Count your blessings, I am glad you are OK.
    Oh, I'm fine now, since this happened over five years ago. Hurt like the dickens when it happened though.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

HAHA... you still driving?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    HAHA... you still driving?
    Driving a desk now. We have 18 trucks and 2 dispatchers. I just work from home and try to manage the whole thing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?