Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forklifts are heavy

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Forklifts are heavy

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    how the heck did this get dug up 5+ years later?
    Good question. I didn't go digging, I also didn't look at the date. Weird.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Righty, you are actually a lot luckier than this poster. Where that Pinto weighed in at just over 2000lbs and had air in the tire, that forklift likely weighed about 7500lbs with solid tires. If it was a front tire you were lucky, if it was a rear tire you were miraculously so. I work in the material handling industry, and forklift accidents such as this can have devastating results. Count your blessings, I am glad you are OK.
    Oh, I'm fine now, since this happened over five years ago. Hurt like the dickens when it happened though.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

HAHA... you still driving?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    HAHA... you still driving?
    Driving a desk now. We have 18 trucks and 2 dispatchers. I just work from home and try to manage the whole thing.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Is the forklift okay?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Driving a desk now. We have 18 trucks and 2 dispatchers. I just work from home and try to manage the whole thing.
    Do you ever get the itch to get back in a truck?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Do you ever get the itch to get back in a truck?
    Sometimes, when the weather is nice, but not so much in the winter. A few things I miss from the time on the road.

1. The Pacific Coast Highway. One of my favorite roads.

2. New England in September and October, especially in New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. Great seafood up there too.

3. Hitting a MLB city on the weekend and being able to catch a game in a different park.

4. Those days when the sun is out, you're well rested, you're in a scenic part of the country, and you have some good tunes on the radio.

But being home has its perks as well, some of which outweigh the allure of the road.

1. Seeing my wife every day instead of a couple days a month, and the increased frequency of certain related happenings.

2. Being more involved in my church again.

3. Spending time with good friends. It's amazing how much you enjoy having company at things like ball games and movies.

4. A much more regular sleep and eating schedule.

5. Being home is generally more healthy. I get to the gym more and don't eat as much junk. Being on the road can be pretty sedentary. You sit in your vehicle when you're driving, you often eat while moving down the road, and when you stop you're sleeping. I put on a few pounds when I was driving and now I'm struggling to take it back off.

It was an experience I'm glad I had. I got to see all 48 states and some good chunks of Canada and I got to meet some interesting people. I also think it helped me deal with drivers now. When drivers have concerns I can relate well because I've been where they are. I don't expect any more than I would have expected of myself, but on the other hand, I expect at least as much as I would expect of myself.

So yeah, at times I miss the road, but life is better now so I don't see myself going back.

I had forklift training. A lot can go wrong when people don't respect the power they have when driving them.

I drive forklifts a lot and am absolutely paranoid of having anyone within 10 feet of me while I am driving. Hate it when people get next to me. "It's OK, Greg, we know you are a good driver."
    "Am not! Move!"

Turn Off Ads?