Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What grade would you hand out to Wayne Krivsky and his regime right now?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Krivsky is one of the best general managers in all of baseball!

1 1.02%
  • B - Krivsky has done a pretty good job overall, and I'm pleased with the current direction

19 19.39%
  • C - Meah

29 29.59%
  • D - Krivsky hasn't destroyed the organization, but I'm not happy with current direction

39 39.80%
  • F - Krivsky should be fired immediately!

10 10.20%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade Wayne Krivsky: Pre 2007 Trade Deadline Poll

Grade Wayne Krivsky: Pre 2007 Trade Deadline Poll

Please read the post, then vote in the poll.

On an organizational wide scale - major league roster, farm system, prospect development, organizational philosophy, coaching staff currently in place, team transactions, etc. - what's your overall grade of Wayne Krivsky and his regime since his hire prior to the 2006 season?

Try to base your vote on the full job you believe Krivsky has done and the overall direction you believe the organization has gone since his hiring. With the 2007 trade deadline looming - and with that deadline possibly being particularly crucial to the future success of this franchise - I wanted to open this poll/thread before any trading deadline moves are made. Then after the dust settles in early August after the 2007 trading deadline and it becomes apparent which direction Krivsky goes in that regard, we can fire up a new poll/thread and compare that poll's results to this poll's results.

To summarize the timeline, the Krivsky regime has overseen the following ...
    • 2006 spring training
    • 2006 amateur draft
    • 2006 trade deadline
    • 2006 full regular season (majors and minors)
    • 2006-07 offseason
    • 2007 spring training
    • Two plus months of the 2007 regular season (majors and minors)
    • And just recently, the 2007 amateur draft

If you had to give Wayne Krivsky and his regime a grade so far, what would it be?
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade Wayne Krivsky: Pre 2007 Trade Deadline Poll

Krivsky may have shown himself to be a good scout, farm director, etc. however, he has shown zero ability to build a team or assess major league personnel properly. Allowing him to make major decisions about the long term future at this point would be a roll of the dice. You make get a good result simply due to random chance.

krivsky hasn't destroyed this organization but with the decisions he makes in the next few months he well could.
    Last edited by flyer85; 06-21-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I gave him a D - then again, I'm biased because I was one of the very, very few who hated this hiring from the beginning, so maybe he deserves a better grade, I don't know.

What I do know is that I am not nor never will be a fan of the Twins major league model from 2002-2006, and that is what I see Krivsky aiming for. And that is - slightly above average fielders who don't know how to take a walk, hit .260 and have moderate power; vets over young guys; an endless parade of ex-Twins; pitchers who, on the whole, don't miss bats but rely on the defense.

Yeah, I'm not a fan - but like I said, I never was a Krivsky fan so I may be harder on him than others, and maybe harder on him than is realistic.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'm going to give him a D, though I believe, with more information, I could give him an "F".

The only thing saving him from an "F" is that he didn't blow off the '07 draft by overdrafting a bunch of guys. I don't think he hit a HR, but I think it could have been worse.

But the main Issue I have had with this guy is that he hasn't shown a direction. He increased the payroll by 16% or so this season and is currently battling for the WORST RECORD IN BASEBALL. The Royals and Tampa are laughing at Cincinnati.

It is a dark time for Reds fans and, while we are all happy that contracts like Milton's are coming off the books, Wayne has already pissed away those savings on potentially a new Milton, Mr. Bronson Arroyo.

Wayne has done some good things since he's been here, but he has made so many transactions it's hard to say whether he got lucky or if he knew what he was doing. My personal belief is that those acquisitions of Hamilton and Phillips were luck. Remember when Ross and Arroyo were the big items on his resume?

The reason why I need more info is that I am not sure whether this guy knows where he is going. Does he actually think he can win now (Gonzalez, Stanton, Conine, etc) or is he building for the future (?)? I think he has been given enough time as this team has gotten much worse very fast w/o a great influx of talent in the minors. But if he flubs this deadline, he should be gone Aug 1.

Wayne's job is to evaluate players, make trades, and ultimately construct a major league roster.

He hasn't given me a lot of confidence in his ability to do those things.
    Makes all the routine posts.

for the Reds to be successful in the long run I am pretty certain they need a GM that would get an "A".
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    for the Reds to be successful in the long run I am pretty certain they need a GM that would get an "A".
    I agree. And IMO, Krvisky gets a C. He's had some very good moves to go along with some very questionable moves. I don't have confidence in him turning this franchise around.

I gave WK a B. The organization as a whole is in a very good position right now compared to the last 10 years. Our last two GM's had good drafts, but mishandled the ML side. Although, I give a lot of credit to WK for these things:

Phillips - got him for nothing
    Ross - got him for nothing
    Hatte - got him for nothing
    Arroyo - got him for WMP, won the deal big time
    Re-signing Arroyo and Harang - I know Arroyo aint too hot right now, but I think he will be fine in the long run.
    Josh Hamilton - got him for, what, 150k?
    Good depth in his drafts.
    Taking it slowly with his MiL'ers

Those above signings are absolute STEALS. It is incredible.

BUT, I dislike:

AGonz for 3 years
    Cormier for two
    Stanton for two
    STUBBS!
    Chad Moeller

But overall, our Minor League system went from being ranked around dead last, to 11th prior to this season. We actually have some depth, and I think this years draft was a good one again (and I actually like our first pick).

The Reds have the most losses in the major leagues and the second worst record. It is hard to give Krivsky high marks for leading them there.

He has a number of good pick ups, but he constructed this bullpen for which he gets a poor grade.

Longer term, he has helped stock up the farm, but last year's first pick hasn't hit -- compare to DanO's top draft picks -- and it is just too soon to know how these guys will pan out.

The one point I will give him is that he is obviously committed to young players, has kept and nurtured the higher end prospects, and this game plan can be successful if executed properly.

So I gave Krivsky the middle (C) grade so far. Disappointed short term, hopeful long term.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    BUT, I dislike:

AGonz for 3 years
    I agree with most of what you posted, but this one I find curious.

We had no SS to speak of coming into 2007, and he signed one with a current OPS of about .800 who supplies good defense. If he was a FA today, he would command larger dollars. His contract could actually be moved for value if we wanted.

This franchise was in terrible shape while they aren't winning today, there are places you can see improvement.

Junior is out of centerfield.

He's decided on a shortstop.

It looks like he's decided on a secondbaseman, catcher and thirdbaseman.

He's started assembling a real rotation, not a bunch of 34 year olds who had double digit wins in the last 5 years.

He's worked the ruleV, ptbnl and waiver wire field about as well as it can be worked.

I'm not thrilled with many of Wayne's decisions, but he's a step up from the man he replaced and DanO was a step up from what Jim Bowden had turned into be the end of his time here.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Drafts-B Already some players producing and being promoted from his drafts. Sean Watson comes first to mind.

Minors-B The farm teams are winning, promotions are generally timely and appropriate, arm injuries (whether luck or purpose, I don't know which) have been few and far between, and we have some guys either busting through the ceiling and contributing (Bailey, Encarnacion) or ready to (Votto, Bruce, Watson) in the next year or two.

Majors-C- IMO, this disaster falls primarily on the shoulders on the two headed monster known as BowBrien. The bullpen is an area that Krivsky has been the most exposed, but then I read yesterday where the Detroit Tigers are looking for bullpen help, when last year they were looking like the second coming of the Nasty Boys. In other words, bullpens are hard to build AND maintain, with the volatility of relievers being harder to manage than a tech stock mutual fund. Does he get a pass for that? Nope, that is why he gets a C, because it is possible to build a bullpen that is consistently good from year to year with replaceable parts. The bullpen failure is mitigated by the dumpster diving of exciting position players like Brandon Phillips and Josh Hamilton and the Arroyo trade. But, the bullpen is getting poised for a turnaround with some exciting young arms. A power arm or two showing up for next season (if Coffey is not injured and refinds his command, we could already have two with Salmon coming along) and a junkballer, it could be evolving as we speak.

Now, get something meaningful for Griffey, Lohse, and Weathers and either take a dump or get off the pot with Dunn and it could be an overall B, but I went with C with weight added to the major league fiasco of late 2006 through current.

D, I wouldn't mind the worst record in baseball so much if there was more hope on the horizon, there simply isn't anymore then when Wayne arrived, it's still the same MO as Bowden and Dan O, hope for career years from veterans.

Phillips has been a nice surprise, Hamilton..well lets wait and see, Ross and Arroyo looked nice before this season, more wait and see I suppose.

What he does this trading season will be key, if it's stand pat or trade for spare parts that might help this year then the D goes to F
    Go Gators!

He SHOULD get an F just for his infatuation with older vets over young up and comers but I will give him a D.

Solid transactions like Phillips and Hamilton can only take you so far when you compare it to "the trade", the horrible bullpen and weak arse bench.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Definitely a mixed bag. I would rate him on three scales:

1.) Evaluating potential. I think Krivsky is good at evaluating potential in terms of skill development and "ceiling". At heart, he's a scout, and a good one. He's done well at acquiring cheap talent which has not fully developed. His drafts also look pretty good, but the development (or lack thereof) of Stubbs could change my opinion. B+

2.) Performance measurement. BIG weakness here. Krivsky has not shown very much acumen in properly valuing performance at the major league level. He consistently over-values the performance of guys like Castro, Cormier (pre-trade), and Majewski (pre-trade), prone to overreaction to low ERAs and strong batting averages in small samples and in the absence of supporting peripheral numbers. This suggests he relies heavily on his scouting instincts and does not have an understanding of what metrics truly reflect ability. He does not seem to understand the concept of "replacement level". D

3.) Management. Right or wrong, he has a process which he adheres to in terms of promoting minor leaguers, designing his major league roster, etc. While I question some of the choices he makes in executing said plan (Stubbs, signing Castro, Moeller, etc.), at least he's got one. He also is willing to admit mistakes, as seen in the cutting of Cormier. C

Overall, I've rated him a C, aka Meh. I would love to see him hire a right hand man who can bring him in to the 21st century in terms of quantitative analysis. Until he does that, I think he's going to fail in actually executing his vision for the team due to consistent mistakes based on out-dated scouting information.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?