Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Don't Be Surprised With Gonzalez's Errors

Don't Be Surprised With Gonzalez's Errors

I was looking up Gonzalez's stats, and I realized none of us should be surprised with all the errors he is making. Sure, he only made 7 in 110 games last year, but over his career he has made his fair share of errors.

This year: 67 Games, 13 Errors
    1999: 130 games, 27 errors
    2000: 98 games, 19 errors
    2001: 139 games, 26 errors
    2002: 41 games, 3 errors
    2003: 150 games, 16 errors
    2004: 155 games, 16 errors
    2005: 124 games, 16 errors
    2006: 110 games, 7 errors

He has had his fair share of years where he has struggled with the glove. Now, he improved and put up good years in 2003, 2004, and 2006, but there are times where he struggles. I still think there will be a long stretch of games where he doesn't commit errors, and he'll end the year with between 17-20 errors. Fact of the matter is, i think the Reds were expecting too much out of him this year.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-23-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Don't Be Surprised With Gonzalez's Errors

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Fact of the matter is, i think the Reds were expecting too much out of him this year.
    In my opinion, it's more the fans expected too much. I still stand by my belief that he is better at SS than anyone the Reds have had since Larkin was in his prime. Plus, his bat has been a pleasant surprise. Good signing, IMO.

Errors? How about the amount of balls he gets to that no Red's ss would be able to even reach since Larkin? Errors are a big time over rated stat in regards to a ss that has a serious range factor.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I still stand by my belief that he is better at SS than anyone the Reds have had since Larkin was in his prime.
    Faint praise. The Reds trotted Aurillia, Lopez, Castro, and Clayton out there after Larkin retired.

Gonzalez's glove has actually had a negative impact on the Reds' team defense so far according to some data I saw posted on the Old Red Guard maybe last week, which really doesn't surprise me too much. I imagine he'll turn it around a bit and end up around average, which, unfortunately, is a huge upgrade over what the Reds have had lately.

Not surprised with the errors, like the other guys have posted his range more than makes up for it, and I"m sure his numbers will average out over the year.

What DOES surprise me is his hitting. Sure, it's GABP, but he's hitting for average, power, and don't be surprised about his BB's, he's NEVER had a high OBP. Currently, he's batting .025 more than Lopez, and 9 More HR's. We'll see if THAT averages out over the year.

Regardless, I don't think ANYONE can argue that he's a HUGE upgrade over Lopez. Looks like he was only a 1-2 year wonder, especially in the hitting department.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?