Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A's designate Milton Bradley for assignment

Re: A's designate Milton Bradley for assignment

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Jose Guillen part deux
    Guillen hit pretty well with the Reds...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Jose Guillen part deux
    I wonder if Milton whizzed on the managers desk?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Milton Bradley's career in Oakland -- a fairly tranquil time, compared with some his more contentious stops in Cleveland and Los Angeles -- has ended, and unexpectedly early.

The A's designated the outfielder for assignment on Thursday morning, a day after general manager Billy Beane met with Bradley to let him know that the transaction was coming. Bradley left the clubhouse upset, and he also had expressed dissatisfaction on Tuesday after not being activated when he felt he was ready to return from a calf injury.

There was a good chance of more discontent in the future, with an increasingly crowded outfield in the offing. Chris Snelling is likely coming off the disabled list soon and he is out of options, while Bobby Kielty is also expected to be available by the end of the month. Bradley, who will be a free agent after this season, would have seen a decrease in playing time, according to a source, largely because most of the rest of the outfielders are part of the team's future, while Bradley was not.

"He wasn't going to be happy playing a couple of times a week," a team source said.

The A's have 10 days in which to trade Bradley, waive him or release him. A trade remains a possibility, although by designating him, the team has signaled its intention to part with him, which usually lessens a player's value. Once a player has been designated, interested teams often just wait to see if he is placed on waivers or wait until he is released, but if multiple clubs are after Bradley, the A's might be able to move him within the 10-day span.

Oakland activated Bradley on Wednesday after he'd missed more than two months with first a hamstring strain and then a calf strain. In a year and a half with the A's, Bradley had five stints on the DL and missed 110 games.

Bradley went 0-for-3 with a walk on Wednesday and struck out looking in his final at-bat. He disagreed with the call and exchanged words with home-plate umpire Tim Timmons, prompting manager Bob Geren to come out of the dugout.

Bradley, 29, hit .292 with two homers and seven RBIs in 19 games this year, and last year, he hit .276 with 14 homers and 52 RBIs in 96 games. His best stretch with the team came during last year's American League Championship Series, when Bradley was 9-for-18 with two homers as the A's were swept by Detroit.

Though he had some on-field incidents with the Dodgers and a difficult relationship with manager Eric Wedge in Cleveland, Bradley had few troubles in Oakland apart with some give-and-take with the crowd at Fenway Park in a series at Boston last year. Several sources said that Bradley injured his shoulder last year while having a tirade in the clubhouse, but Bradley emphatically denied that.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGA3QJD872.DTL

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    We should not go after Guillen redux.
    Could he fetch Aaron Harang redux?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Could he fetch Aaron Harang redux?
    Not likely when the Guillen redux has done near nothing this year and has thrown a monster tantrum in the A's clubhouse. Im not sure what type of return that would fetch us this year.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Not likely when the Guillen redux has done near nothing this year and has thrown a monster tantrum in the A's clubhouse. Im not sure what type of return that would fetch us this year.
    It would be a bit of a dicey move, but I could see the Reds doing it.

If I recall correctly, the Reds signed Guillen off the trash heap after he'd been released by several teams. His stock couldn't have been any lower. Something clicked with him in Cinci, the Reds gave him some PT and shined him all up, and then flipped him to the A's.

It would be a gamble given Bradley's track record, but the Reds have to take some chances to acquire true talent.

Pay attention to the open sky

I don't see Bradley having a place to play. Supposedly his tirade was due to his being left on the DL two days longer than he wanted. I doubt there is an interest in playing in Cincy unless he is going to play everyday.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I want nothing to do with this guy, I'd rather see Votto out in left
    Go Gators!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

His offensive numbers and the fact that he's a RH hitting OF make him very similar to Austin Kearns.

Austin Kearns with an attitude.

I'm not sure how is defense stacks up, but his numbers are almost identical. He's just two years older and as I said, with much more attitude than AK.

I say, what do they have to lose? Low risk, mid to high reward. Shine him up and flip him.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-21-2007 at 05:47 PM.

If Bradley doesn't end up in DC, I'll be stunned.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    His offensive numbers and the fact that he's a RH hitting OF make him very similar to Austin Kearns.

Austin Kearns with an attitude.

I'm not sure how is defense stacks up, but his numbers are almost identical. He's just two years older and as I said, with much more attitude than AK.

I say, what do they have to lose? Low risk, mid to high reward. Shine him up and flip him.
    I thought Kearns already had an attitude.

Bradley's "attitude" leans more towards the sociopathic. That said, he's a good hitter, good fielder, and has decent speed. If he can stay even remotely healthy, he'll be a contributor to any team.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If Dunn is traded Bradley is just the type of player we should get.

Why would he come here? So he can inflate his stats at GABP and ride into the sunset with a big FA contract with some other sucker.

He could be another Guillen, except he's had way more actual success than Guillen had when we got him.

There is fire, then there is Billy Martin-esque insane.
    Bradley is leaning more towards that second part. Pass.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'm torn on this one, I like his game somewhat but he is a crazy man!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Why not pick up Milton Bradley if it costs us next to nothing?

I wish he were the PTBNL in the Denorfia deal.

Then we could have flipped him for a warm body.

I just have a feeling that whoever deals with B. Beane for Bradley will probably end up on the short end of the stick.

Like us, when we gave them Denorfia.

Turn Off Ads?