Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: A's designate Milton Bradley for assignment

Re: A's designate Milton Bradley for assignment

Oh, btw, what ever happened to Milton Bradley? I know the Royals claimed him, but he failed a physical. (allegedly)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Oh, btw, what ever happened to Milton Bradley? I know the Royals claimed him, but he failed a physical. (allegedly)
    Milton Bradley? What does he have to do with this thread?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

actually they traded for him but he was sent back due to a failed physical.

I assume Beane is still trying to find a deal so that someone will take the salary.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

I assume Beane is still trying to find a deal so that someone will take the salary.

Don't tell Wayne or he'll trade for him for sure.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post

If you got traded to Kansas City, wouldn't you fail your physical too?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

If you got traded to Kansas City, wouldn't you fail your physical too?
    I'd fail my physical no matter where I was traded.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Health problems?

Well then he's going to be ours very soon
    Go Gators!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How does a difference in opinon mean the reds are have an inability to accurately identify talent? I don't want to even get into the Stubbs debate so I will leave that alone. What exactly did Deno prove at the major league level. He was a very good minor league player but he really had no where to play when Hamilton showed that he was better than expected his first season. So they move Deno, a guy who is unproven, injured until 2008, and will not be a starter for a reliever who shows some promise and you conclude that they can not accurately identify talent?
    Your timeline is wrong.

Hamilton got more playing time b/c Denorfia was injured. Hamilton showed a good spring, but was going to make the club regardless of Denorfia's injury, due to the fact he is a Rule V pick up. Hamilton has outperformed Freel, yet Freel was given an extension. Interesting logic by the FO.

Deno proved plenty at the MLB level. He was our best option defensively in CF, as well as our Minor Leaguer of the Year. Also, he put up IIRC league average offensive numbers in the limited PAs he got in 2006.

He had one bad week immediately following the Kearns departure, and Narron gave up on him.

The Reds got a young arm in McBeth that could be something, could be a back of the bullpen guy. The jury is still out on him.

Denorfia > Freel > Hopper, yet which one of those 3 is gone? That shows me the FO has an inability to accurately judge talent.

Denorfia > Freel > Hopper, yet which one of those 3 is gone? That shows me the FO has an inability to accurately judge talent.
    So DeNorfia and his 144 MLB ab's is already better then Freel eh?

Don't see it at all myself, Freel actually has a MLB track record.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

Projections man, you know.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Projections man, you know.
    This season Chris projects to head over to Berkeley to check out Telegraph Avenue and then over to the City to have dinner at Sam Wo's in Chinatown.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'm not going to sweat losing Denorfia when we get a useful arm in return ... but in the Reds situation I'd have taken my chances with Denorfia at ~$400K over Freel at ~$2.3M and have shopped Freel instead.

Offensively I think you'd get a bit better OBP out of Freel and more steals, though those are both tempered by his propensity to get picked off/caught stealing.

I think you'd get fairly comparable offensive numbers from Denorfia and better OF defense.

To me, they are likely a wash, though as you point out, Freel has a much longer track record to draw upon (which is mostly the Reds own fault for not giving Denorfia a bigger audition last season, IMO).

At a $2M difference in salary I take my chances with Denorfia, though I'd realize I am taking a chance.

GL

Offensively I think you'd get a bit better OBP out of Freel and more steals, though those are both tempered by his propensity to get picked off/caught stealing.
    You also get a guy who plays every OF position and 2 IF positions, hence part of the salary is tied up in that multi position tool belt.

I think you'd get fairly comparable offensive numbers from Denorfia and better OF defense.
    How's his arm issues going to pan out in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Deno proved plenty at the MLB level.
    huh?

To understand the Freel situation, you must also remember the timeline. At the time that Denorfia was traded, Encarnacion was really struggling and some were concerned that he could not shoulder the load at 3B. Freel started playing 3B. Freel is much more valuable than Denorfia both because he has a much better major league track record, and perhaps more importantly because he can play almost every position on the field, (not to mention he is a fan favorite) and he comes at a relatively inexpensive price. I think the FO may have even tried to explore a Freel trade in Spring Training, however realizing that there wasn't much of a market for him and he was willing to extend his deal for very little money, the decision became clear.

Denorfia is gone. So is Ben Broussard. I'm not losing any sleep, and neither should you. It's time to move on.
    Go BLUE!!!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

You also get a guy who plays every OF position and 2 IF positions, hence part of the salary is tied up in that multi position tool belt.
    I'd have a hard time believing that Denorfia wouldn't meet or exceed Freel defensively in all 3 OF positions if the need arose. I don't feel like Freel plays 3B or 2B particularly well and I'd only use him for spot duty at either position. While Freel has an edge with the 2 IF positions, I think Denorfia is a better OF. IMO its a push to a large degree ... I guess it mostly depends on the makeup of the rest of the roster, which if you have Denorfia you have and extra $2M to round out.

How's his arm issues going to pan out in the long run?
    I'd say chances are that his arm won't be an ongoing issue, but you never know.

IMO the Reds can't wait around for sure things if the want to be successful ... they'll have to take chances here and there. This is one of those that I'd take in their situation.

GL

Turn Off Ads?