Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs (scout comment at Midwest League All-star Game)

Re: Stubbs (scout comment at Midwest League All-star Game)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    1st AB: First pitch, fastball, taken, ball, outside. Second pitch, fastball, strike, lower outside corner. Third pitch, mistake pitch, fastball, right down broadway. Stubbs turned on it and lined it to the LFer. He swung at the best pitch in the AB.

2nd AB: First pitch, fastball, strike looking, lower outside corner. Second pitch, curveball, middle-in. Third pitch, fastball, strike looking, middle-outside. He looked like he was looking breaking ball all the way and didn't even move when he got a fastball.

3rd AB: First pitch, fastball, strike looking, lower outside corner. Second pitch, foul ball, curve, middle-in. Third pitch, fastball, outside corner, ball (barely missed). Fourth pitch, curveball, middle-in, ground ball out.
    I'm not a baseball guy, but am I wrong to say a smart hitter would have put either of the two highlighted pitches the opposite way for a base hit? I don't know if there were runners on that might have effected this, but those seem like pitches you want to put in play to the opposite field.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    1) I love Chris Heisey. He's just a grind it out gamer. I'm sure Wayne loves him as well.
    FWIW, Krivsky was at the game last night, and he'll be in Dayton for the entire weekend series.

I love sitting behind home plate at 5/3. Depending on who is pitching, you can gather some info from the various scouts who sit amongst those first few rows. And you don't have to worry about the wicked line drives like you do near the dugout seats. I'll be behind the plate a few rows up for Sunday's game...and I hope to see Carson Kainer in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm not a baseball guy, but am I wrong to say a smart hitter would have put either of the two highlighted pitches the opposite way for a base hit? I don't know if there were runners on that might have effected this, but those seem like pitches you want to put in play to the opposite field.
    I'm not opposed to a hitter being patient at the plate and taking a couple pitches but when the pitcher leads off each of your AB's with the same pitch each time, you should be looking for it by the 3rd AB. There were no runners on in the 2nd AB. There were 2 runners on (1st/3rd) in the 3rd AB. He should have rocked that first pitch fastball to the opposite field in the 3rd AB. He watched it, and eventually grounded out to end the inning.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Thanks for the report, Red Leader. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    FWIW, Krivsky was at the game last night, and he'll be in Dayton for the entire weekend series.

I love sitting behind home plate at 5/3. Depending on who is pitching, you can gather some info from the various scouts who sit amongst those first few rows. And you don't have to worry about the wicked line drives like you do near the dugout seats. I'll be behind the plate a few rows up for Sunday's game...and I hope to see Carson Kainer in the lineup.
    Saw the Krivsky was in town on the news last night. We got there real early - like when the gates opened, but didn't see Wayne, Freel take batting practice (which I later learned he did), or Bray throwing (which I also later learned he did). They must have been out early.

There were a BUNCH of scouts at the game last night. More than I remember seeing. Not much action in the early innings, but almost all of them sat up in their seats and pulled out their guns when Pedro Viola came into the game.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I have a question for people who have seen Francisco and Valaika play. Do you think sometime in the near future Francisco moves to first Valaika moves to 2b or 3b? It seems like now is the time to move them. 1b isn't the most difficult position to play but it does take some work in order to become a good first baseman.
    I would agree. I'd like to see Valaika at 2B, and I'd imagine Francisco becomes either a 1B or a corner OF. I'd also like to see Valaika at least get promoted to Sarasota in the very near future.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would agree. I'd like to see Valaika at 2B, and I'd imagine Francisco becomes either a 1B or a corner OF. I'd also like to see Valaika at least get promoted to Sarasota in the very near future.
    Like I said above there weren't many plays in last night's game that allowed me to see Valaika's range. What was hit to him, he got to, and looked good at SS. I don't know if he can stay there or not. If he can, he'll be a very good hitter for a SS once he gets to the majors. I can see him being a 5 hole hitter in the majors. If they were to move him, I'd rather they move him to 2B, than 3B. He's definitely going to have a plus arm at 2B and I think he can play there at the major league level.

I didn't get to see Francisco play in the field last night, only PH, but his power would play anywhere, IMO.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Redsmetz,
    Haven't seen Stubbs so am hesitant about this, but it could be that Stubbs doesn't hit those balls the opposite way because that requires bat speed--hand speed--more, in fact, than jerking the ball to left field, which can be accomplished by opening up very quickly (a compensatory move if bat speed is the problem).

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Redsmetz,
    Haven't seen Stubbs so am hesitant about this, but it could be that Stubbs doesn't hit those balls the opposite way because that requires bat speed--hand speed--more, in fact, than jerking the ball to left field, which can be accomplished by opening up very quickly (a compensatory move if bat speed is the problem).
    Excellent point.

Last night Valaika hit a fastball, opposite field shot out to RCF for a HR. It was a middle-out pitch that required good hand speed to center the ball and drive it.

Stubbs hit all balls to the left side. One was a line drive to LF that he hit solid. The next was a ground ball to the SS, hit rather weakly. The third was a ground ball to the right side he got jammed on. It could have been that he was just opening up with the lead foot allowing the bat to get through on the balls he pulled. I couldn't see his front leg very well as I was directly behind him and had the umpire blocking him as well so I don't know if he was opening up early to pull the ball. Wish I could go back and see those AB's again to see if that was the case.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Some hitters, maybe. But what Red Leader described -- low, outside corner -- is the textbook perfectly-located fastball. If it was a two-strike count, sure, just go with the pitch and try for the opposite-field base hit. But with an 0-0 count, why swing at the pitcher's pitch?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You aren't getting it. Stubbs's struggle I bet was completely expected from the FO, matter of fact, if it didn't happen, they would be outright shocked.

He wasn't drafted for his bat. Something you will have to come to grips with.
    Any OF not drafted for his bat is a lousy pick. If the Reds expected Stubbs to struggle like this at the plate in low A they deserve a flogging for having picked him.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Any OF not drafted for his bat is a lousy pick.
    Right. If Stubbs is the reincarnation of 1999 Mike Cameron he's still valueless if he can't contribute at the plate.

heck these day's folks expect shortstops and catchers to contribute SOMETHING with the bat. The notion that a fly catcher can make up value with the leather is kind of quaint.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Right. If Stubbs is the reincarnation of 1999 Mike Cameron he's still valueless if he can't contribute at the plate.

heck these day's folks expect shortstops and catchers to contribute SOMETHING with the bat. The notion that a fly catcher can make up value with the leather is kind of quaint.
    Except the whole idea that the average centerfielder posts a .740 OPS. So a guy who posts a .700 OPS and is one of the best defenders in baseball is definatly worth something.

Moral of the story: Be wary of one man's opinion, as in "slow bat ['baccer spit]"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except the whole idea that the average centerfielder posts a .740 OPS. So a guy who posts a .700 OPS and is one of the best defenders in baseball is definatly worth something.
    It's definitely not worth a first round pick. If Mike Cameron's the model (and I'm fall for finding a new Mike Cameron), he's got a career .787 OPS and his cumulative OPS since 1999 is over .800, playing in some of the best pitcher's parks in baseball along the way.

An CF with a superior glove and a .700 OPS is Ruben Rivera (career .700 OPS as fate would have it). In other words, it's a 5th OF, a journeyman. Reds fans got to see Rivera best season in 2001 and no one's ever waxed poetic about it.

Heck, with a .700 OPS you're not even Chris Singleton or Corey Patterson. You've got to do better with a first round pick, especially a #8 overall pick.

Mind you, with a .714 OPS in low A coming out of the Big 12, Stubbs would need to improve a lot to OPS .700 in the majors. Rivera and Patterson were in .950 territory at the same level.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?