Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stubbs (scout comment at Midwest League All-star Game)

Re: Stubbs (scout comment at Midwest League All-star Game)

Thanks for the report RED LEADER..looking forward to hearing more..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    You aren't getting it. Stubbs's struggle I bet was completely expected from the FO, matter of fact, if it didn't happen, they would be outright shocked.

He wasn't drafted for his bat. Something you will have to come to grips with.

If he wasn't drafted for his bat, then he sure as heck had no business going #8 overall. If you're drafted that high, you'd better be able to hit and field.

I really wonder what Krivsky and the scouts saw in him. I've gotta believe this was the worst 1st round pick for the Reds in years.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I really wonder what Krivsky and the scouts saw in him. I've gotta believe this was the worst 1st round pick for the Reds in years.
    2000 - David Espinosa
    2001 - Jeremy Sowers (because of the lack of intent to sign him)
    2002 - Chris Grueler

Stubbs may never be more than a 4th OF, but thats better than any pick from these three years.
    Last edited by pahster; 06-24-2007 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Can we see what actually happens ot him before we start calling him a bust? I'm not willing to give up a guy who just completed his first year in the system. If Stubbs ever makes it to the majors it will make him better then alot of first round picks. With his glove, there is a better chance then not he makes it to the majors. I don't think he was a good pick, but he's not one of the worst in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

his physical attributes remind me of a right handed hitting Reggie Taylor. his stats, outside of his walk rate, remind me of Taylor as well.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    2000 - David Espinosa
    2001 - Jeremy Sowers (because of the lack of intent to sign him)
    2002 - Chris Grueler

Stubbs may never be more than a 4th OF, but thats better than any pick from these three years.
    Funny, I was thinking about comparing Stubbs (in a way) with Espinosa. Espinosa (IIRC) along with Mosley and Sardina (sp?) bypassed Billings and went to Dayton/Stockton (High A team at the time). David was also on a good team in Dayton (2001). I don't remember David struggling so much at the plate (he didn't blow me away - but that was the year of the sluggers - Peters, Ruiz, Pena) but at SS he was an adventure. Is he still with the Detroit organization and converted to OF?
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Can we see what actually happens ot him before we start calling him a bust? I'm not willing to give up a guy who just completed his first year in the system. If Stubbs ever makes it to the majors it will make him better then alot of first round picks. With his glove, there is a better chance then not he makes it to the majors. I don't think he was a good pick, but he's not one of the worst in years.
    I didn't say he was going to be a bust. I'm rooting for the guy. However, up until this point (especially when you consider where he was picked and his age), he has not played to the level that the organization had expected he would. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Funny, I was thinking about comparing Stubbs (in a way) with Espinosa. Espinosa (IIRC) along with Mosley and Sardina (sp?) bypassed Billings and went to Dayton/Stockton (High A team at the time). David was also on a good team in Dayton (2001). I don't remember David struggling so much at the plate (he didn't blow me away - but that was the year of the sluggers - Peters, Ruiz, Pena) but at SS he was an adventure. Is he still with the Detroit organization and converted to OF?
    Espinosa is with AAA Toledo right now and putting up a sterling .540 OPS as an OF.

Not counting 2007, here's Espinosa's career minor league line - .261/.357/.409/.766

That'd be ok if he were playing great defense at SS, but of course, he's not. I give Stubbs a dubious nod over Espinosa because he, by all accounts I've been exposed to, actually plays good defense at a key position.

Espinosa, has, though, put up an OPS above .800 in AAA once (last year).

Sometimes guys "make it" too because they've been chosen in the high rounds--in other words, the rep. of their FO's is at stake. We don't want that to happen in this case. I'm absolutely rooting for the guy. A combination of power and defensive ability is not easy to come by. Let's just hope he can learn to make more and harder contact.

There are high expectations of players selected in the 1st round of the amateur draft. Drew Stubbs still has time to prove his doubters wrong, but people will keep whispering bust unless he shows some progress.

From Baseball Prospectus Chat Today:

Daniel (Cincinnati, OH): Should Reds fans start to be worried about Drew Stubbs. I know he's never going to hit a lot better than the .247 clip that he's hitting right now for Dayton, but the .363 slugging percentage has got to raise some eyebrows, doesn't it?

Kevin Goldstein: Yeah, that's the thing, you really nailed it there -- if he's not going to hit for much of an average (and he's not), were back to secondary skills, and he's not hitting enough to tap into his power. It's not going well by any measurement. Cheer up though, lots of good talent on that Dayton team. Just a TON of it.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    From Baseball Prospectus Chat Today:

Cheer up though, lots of good talent on that Dayton team. Just a TON of it.
    Valaika, Francisco, Gonzalez

Who else could he be referring to? Justin Turner?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Valaika, Francisco, Gonzalez

Who else could he be referring to? Justin Turner?
    Valaika, Francisco, Gonzalez, and Turner are the main guys. Watson just left. All 5 of those guys should be starting major leaguers at some point. That's a big statement for a Low A team.

Besides those guys: Heisey, Parker, Terrell Young, Webb, Mateo, and Viola all have a lot of talent and could be impact players. Jordan Smith could join that list, too, as he throws hard - seems to just need more experience and more time developing his stuff. Stubbs is talented, too, make no mistake about that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Watson, Jordan Smith, and the relief guys. Watson was still on the team at the all-star game.

Turn Off Ads?