Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brantley on Homer Bailey

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Brantley on Homer Bailey

Dayton Daily News

Jeff Brantley on Homer Bailey:

"Best pitcher on the staff. He loves his curveball, but it isn't a big-league pitch, but that's how you learn. He's highly competitive and he is the only pitcher on the Reds staff I've seen who makes pitches according to how he sees the batters swing."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brantley on Homer Bailey

Praise for Homer, or an indictment on Harang and co?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Dayton Daily News

Jeff Brantley on Homer Bailey:

"Best pitcher on the staff. He loves his curveball, but it isn't a big-league pitch, but that's how you learn. He's highly competitive and he is the only pitcher on the Reds staff I've seen who makes pitches according to how he sees the batters swing."
    I thought Homer's curve was a 12-6 and almost major league ready when we drafted him. Wasn't his change-up the one that needed help when he was in the minors?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Not talking about this comment, but I have to say that Jeff Brantley has done as much to (start to) ruin this baseball season for me as Jerry Narron has.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    Not talking about this comment, but I have to say that Jeff Brantley has done as much to (start to) ruin this baseball season for me as Jerry Narron has.
    Huh?

Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I thought Homer's curve was a 12-6 and almost major league ready when we drafted him. Wasn't his change-up the one that needed help when he was in the minors?
    Hardly. His 12/6 curve was considered to have "elite potential" but not yet developed. His changeup pretty much didn't exist.

I don't mind guys that are late blooming putting the whole package together. Health wise, it has its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Huh?

Please explain.
    I can't speak for creek, but its getting to be the same for me.

I realize the Reds are playing badly. I can see and hear it. I don't mind it being commented on. But Brantley beats it over the listeners head to the point of abuse.

I don't want him to go all George Grande, but for cripe's sake, I like to derive a *little* enjoyment from the game. Make your point and move on.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

I realize the Reds are playing badly. I can see and hear it. I don't mind it being commented on. But Brantley beats it over the listeners head to the point of abuse.

I don't want him to go all George Grande, but for cripe's sake, I like to derive a *little* enjoyment from the game. Make your point and move on.
    I don't think he's been that bad....I think he's pretty much been right on. I don't think he's said anything that we haven't said...

However, that's why we have opinions.

Let's not get off on a rant

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

First of all, I think that statement by Brantley is hyperbole at its best.

Secondly, I think Brantley needs to be cut somewhat of a break since this is his first year doing play by play. He's kind of rough around the edges but who wouldn't be?

Thirdly, his main focus is on the pitching. This pitching could make a grown man cry.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

If Brantley thinks Bailey reads hitters better than Arroyo or Weathers, for example, he's crazy. Same old ESPN school of blowhard opinionating.

Homer has a few bad outings and Brantley will be saying he never should have been called up.

The only Reds combo I can listen to is Grande and Welsh.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    If Brantley thinks Bailey reads hitters better than Arroyo or Weathers, for example, he's crazy. Same old ESPN school of blowhard opinionating.

Homer has a few bad outings and Brantley will be saying he never should have been called up.
    I doubt that.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I didn't like Brantley on ESPN, and I really don't like him on RoR.

I don't mind Thom, he can be a little much at times with his opinions (like father like son) but he does a good job with calling the game IMHO.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN. I think it is the pitching analysis he is bringing, the above comment notwithstanding, but heck, is it not true that the Reds chuckers throw it thigh high down the middle of the plate and then look perplexed when the fans are catching it in the seats, while Bailey seems to be aiming and hitting down and away at the knees with increasing regularity?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I like Brantley, which is shocking considering I didn't care for him on ESPN. I think it is the pitching analysis he is bringing, the above comment notwithstanding, but heck, is it not true that the Reds chuckers throw it thigh high down the middle of the plate and then look perplexed when the fans are catching it in the seats?
    Some people don't like the truth.....it can be painful.

Bailey's curve is deadly. Brantley saying it isn't a big-league pitch is utterly ludicrous.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?