Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Michigan approves 226 million dollar renovation of the Big House

University of Michigan approves 226 million dollar renovation of the Big House

Will add 500 seats and additional luxury suites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: University of Michigan approves 226 million dollar renovation of the Big House

Within the next 5 years, tOSU will lower the field another 15 feet, add more seats, just so they can say they have more seats than the Big House.

Re: University of Michigan approves 226 million dollar renovation of the Big House

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Within the next 5 years, tOSU will lower the field another 15 feet, add more seats, just so they can say they have more seats than the Big House.
    Ohio State will never be able to have more seats than the Big House. Actually, I don't see how anyone will ever be able to have more seats than the Big House. There's only so far you can go down, but Michigan has more than enough room to go. Right, I think it's something like only the top 30 or so rows that are above ground. They can keep going if they want.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Ohio State will never be able to have more seats than the Big House. Actually, I don't see how anyone will ever be able to have more seats than the Big House. There's only so far you can go down, but Michigan has more than enough room to go. Right, I think it's something like only the top 30 or so rows that are above ground. They can keep going if they want.
    Agreed, UofM can continue to go vertical.

tOSU would have to get creative with the south stands and eliminate the horseshoe shape and make it more of a bowl.

That being said, I remember during my days @ tOSU that the stadium capacities was always a topic of conversation.

Eventually, one of them will break 115K.

I didn't think the Horseshoe was close. I thought only the Tennessee stadium could compete with The Big House?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Right, I think it's something like only the top 30 or so rows that are above ground. They can keep going if they want.
    Correct. Only the top 30 rows are above ground, which makes it less than spectacular when you are outside the stadium.

These renovations they are doing will make the Big House look a lot nicer from the outside, IMO. The press box has needed an upgrade for a long time now and the luxury boxes are a nice add as well.

I'd also like the actual stadium to be built more vertical as well. Make it a little noisier. With the current construction all of the noise just flows right out of the stadium into the air. Rarely do you ever get that "man is it *loud* in here," feeling.

The following are pictures of how the stadium will look after the renovations...

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...erspective.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...s/Bldg-End.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...0-On-Field.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...r-On-Field.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...ts/EndZone.jpg
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I hope the renovation plan includes a lid.

No toilet should be without one.

And hopefully there's an extra large video replay board.

So they can show stuff like this over and over and over and over.

On the argument of which stadium can hold more fans, and if upgrades can be done on each.

Ohio Stadium currently has a capacity of 101,568. As others have said, they would have to get creative to expand that and there are no plans at this time to make those changes. They cannot build vertically, the only option(s) for them would be to enclose the "shoe" and make it more like a bowl, or add a row or two on the field level.

The Big House currently has a capacity of 107,501. This renovation will add 83 suites and 3200 club seats. They are going to widen the seats and the aisles of the current setup, so the net gain is somewhat minimal. They have estimated that after the renovation capacity will be at 108,801. They also have plans to add another 2 rows (vertically) to the stadium after these initial renovations are completed bringing the capacity over 110,001 seats.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I hope the renovation plan includes a lid.

No toilet should be without one.

And hopefully there's an extra large video replay board.

So they can show stuff like this over and over and over and over.
    is that why OSU's stadium is shaped like the seat on a public toilet?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

Ohio Stadium currently has a capacity of 101,568. As others have said, they would have to get creative to expand that and there are no plans at this time to make those changes. They cannot build vertically, the only option(s) for them would be to enclose the "shoe" and make it more like a bowl, or add a row or two on the field level.
    I did hear a rumor last summer that OSU wanted to add on to the stadium by going up vertically but nothing ever came of it. The rumor was just from a friend on the football team so it wasn't really reliable, more just gossip he heard from others. As RL said, I just don't see how they can go up any higher. I think the Horseshoe is fine the way it is and any future renovations should just update what's already there, not try to jam more people in.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    is that why OSU's stadium is shaped like the seat on a public toilet?
    What can I say? Ohioans like being civilized. The football stadium looks like a throne.

On the other hand, there's the latrine-inspired stadium a couple hundred miles to the north. Those long, cold Michigan winters don't exactly lend themselves to lingering in the outhouse. Thus, the design similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Correct. Only the top 30 rows are above ground, which makes it less than spectacular when you are outside the stadium.

These renovations they are doing will make the Big House look a lot nicer from the outside, IMO. The press box has needed an upgrade for a long time now and the luxury boxes are a nice add as well.

I'd also like the actual stadium to be built more vertical as well. Make it a little noisier. With the current construction all of the noise just flows right out of the stadium into the air. Rarely do you ever get that "man is it *loud* in here," feeling.

The following are pictures of how the stadium will look after the renovations...

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...erspective.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...s/Bldg-End.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...0-On-Field.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...r-On-Field.jpg

http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project...ts/EndZone.jpg
    That's going to look pretty nice from the outside. It's very pedestrian out there right now.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The pictures look a lot like Lambeau Field in Green Bay. No Decks.

Good for them.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I wouldn't put it out of OSU's grasp to build an entirely new stadium elsewhere if capacity ever became an issue.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    I wouldn't put it out of OSU's grasp to build an entirely new stadium elsewhere if capacity ever became an issue.
    I wouldn't doubt that either, but capacity would have to be a real issue before OSU would even consider that, IMO.

When you have the tradition that OSU and Michigan has in those stadiums it's going to take a lot to get them to move into a new stadium.

I think UM has spent something like $620M renovating the Big House from its orginal form, including current construction. OSU has spent close to that amount as well in renovations, some / most of that not too long ago. I can't see school officials being too excited about demolishing all of that and spending another $200M+ building a new facility.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?