Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd famous person sighting

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Odd famous person sighting

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I've seen Bob Kevoian (Bob and Tom) several times at a Marsh in Carmel, IN. He's usually buying lots and lots beer.
    Is he the chain smoker or is Tom the chain smoker? I've heard stories about those two....put them together and they're basically a walking, talking, living, breathing bar.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Of all the people that have been listed in this thread, this is the one that makes me the most jealous.
    He seems to be on a lot of lists, including mine. Met him when I worked at Sporty's Pilot Shop back in the late 1980s.

Met the band Chicago at a Reds game. They were incredibly nice.

Saw tennis player Marcelo Rios at a mall in Bradenton, along with Venus Williams on a separate sighting. With Rios, my girlfriend at the time said, "What is that beautiful girl doing with such an ugly guy?" And I explained he was the number one player in the world, so that's probably why.

Seen Jerry Springer numerous times on St. Armand's Circle alog with Bud Collins hawking a tennis book.

I'll remember more, I'm sure as they come to me.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

I got really drunk with Jake Gyllenhaal once. He was a trip.

edit: Michael Dukakis picking up trash is still way cooler though.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I ran into Bob Dole in D.C. in 2002. This was during his Pepsi commercial days. He shook my hand (with his left hand) and told me to keep drinking Pepsi.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I ran into Bob Dole in D.C. in 2002. This was during his Pepsi commercial days. He shook my hand (with his left hand) and told me to keep drinking Pepsi.
    I take back what I said about Dukakis. This wins.

I saw Marty Balin at the Atlanta airport looking like his lone wish in the world was for somebody to recognize him. Needless to say, I didn't indulge him.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Anthony Munoz lives about a mile away from me so I've seen him dozens of times at Kroger, Biggs, Bob Evans, the bank, etc etc. He says hi to me but then he says hi to everyone. He has to be the worlds nicest guy.

Sean Casey and Jason Larue lived a couple blocks from us (and across the street from each other) so I'd see them driving by, outside playing catch with their kids, sitting on their patio, etc. Larue's house backed up to Cottell Park so I'd see him in his backyard with his kids a lot when my wife and I walked the park. I tried hard not to stare.

Back a few years, Kevin Mitchell bought a house for his mom (or his grandma, I forget which) near us. I think he semi-lived there because he had this outrageous pickup truck that was always parked there. He was outside all the time talking to kids.

Pay attention to the open sky

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Having a brother who worked for Congress for many years gave me the opportunity to meet many politicians. My brother used to work for Mr. Dole. My wife and I got the chance to meet Mr. Dole while he was in the Senate and he gave us a tour of his office in the U.S. Capital. The office is used by the Senate majority leader and was actually used by the first U.S. Supreme Court (long ago!). He was a really nice guy and I'll never forget it. Funny thing... my brother used to "babysit" Bob & Elizabeth's dog when they would go out of town. I have also shook hands w/ some known people (incl. Newt Gingrich and Clarence Thomas) while in the underground tunnels that connect the Congressional offices to the Capital.

Another time (1989) I was flying home from Minneapolis. I sat next to a "big-hair" fellow. It was the guy who played guitar for Billy Idol... Steve Stephens. I talked to him and ended up coming home with an autographed CD of his solo group (The Atomic Playboys) and a few guitar picks. A really nice guy and well mannered. I remember it well b/c it happened the day after the big San Fran earthquake (during the OAK-SF World Series).
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 06-27-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I take back what I said about Dukakis. This wins.
    I guess there's more to the story. I was at the Capital to meet with John Boehner.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Just a few off the top of my head ...

I caddied for John Boehner once back in the mid 90s when I was 13-years-old. At the time, I had no clue who the heck he was until he told me on the second hole that he was a US Congressman and had to fly to Washington after his golf round.

UFC fighter (and former MW Champ) Rich Franklin lives right down the road from me, and he's one of my friend's neighbors. Also, UFC fighter Jorge Gurgel (he's fighting on the next UFC card in early July) is one of my neighbors. Gurgel's gym, which Franklin also trains at, is only about 10 minutes away.

Jerry Springer was a speaker in one my classes in undergrad a few years back.

There's a few more, I'm sure, but I typically forget about them.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I guess there's more to the story. I was at the Capital to meet with John Boehner.
    Still can't beat the first story alone. The Pepsi bit is hilarious.

I was a valet at a party at John Boehner's house in West Chester (?) when i was in high school. Drove Cadillacs, Rolls Royces, Porsches, you name it. One car actually talked to me, and this was at least ten years ago. I think it was that experience that sent me screaming to the liberals.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I can add a couple more that I remembered. I worked at a UDF back in 1994. After the baseball strike a few of the Reds players came in there from time to time to get milkshakes and ice cream. I saw Joe Oliver and Tim Pugh on a fairly regular basis.

Yesterday I picked up CO2 cannisters from Airgas in West Chester to deliver to Bogart's in Clifton. They were sold to a rock band I had never heard of and I interrupted their sound checks to make the delivery. One of the band members came out to the van to help me bring the cannisters in. They weigh about 150 lbs. each. At first I thought they were just some local band until I saw a rather large tour bus parked out back with a couple equipment trucks. I got home and checked my paperwork for the delivery and the band name was "Skillet", and according to a quick google search, they are apparently fairly well known and have been around for a number of years. I had never heard of them before yesterday though. Anybody else know anything about them?

Back a few years, Kevin Mitchell bought a house for his mom (or his grandma, I forget which) near us. I think he semi-lived there because he had this outrageous pickup truck that was always parked there. He was outside all the time talking to kids.
    I'm probably one of the few Kevin Mitchell fans around. He was crazy, stubborn, weird, but I tell ya- that guy could hit. Nobody will ever deny that.

Never will forget when he told the Reds he didn't need spring training and then promptly deposited the first pitch he saw over the fence after arriving late to camp. At least that's how I remember it anyway. And that magical year he and Will Clark had in 1989. Wow.

I miss the 1990's Reds- Maybe it's because things are so terrible now, but I'd give my right leg to watch Dibble and Sabo at Riverfront tomorrow night.

Sorry to derail things.

I'll get us back: Met Marty Brennaman at my piano teacher's house when I was a little kid.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

I'll post one for my friend, who worked with me at Sporty's. One time "Uncle" Al Lewis bought something from the catalog and my friend was walking it out to Uncle Al's van for him.

"Just set it over there, next to the accordion," he said.

I love that story.

Alright- one more before I have to get back to studying. At Sporty's (I worked there, ya know lol), we used to get calls from famous people all the time.

I talked with Patti Lupone (who sent me an autograph on a letter for returned merchandise: "Please refund my credit card for this fire escape ladder, which I did not end up needing, Patti Lupone. P.S. I am so happy you enjoy "Life Goes On."). So I have that going for me.

Also talked with Paul Schaeffer who was buying a gift for David Letterman and I got to talk with Dave Coulier ("Yes, I am that
    Dave Coulier," he said.)

Turn Off Ads?