Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Kid Returns

The Kid Returns

They are testing the video tribute for tonight's game on the video board here at Safeco and it's rpetty amazing. I'd love a copy of it, just for the catches alone. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer had an aamzing package today for Griffey's return. They showed that he hit a hiomer and had a home-run robbing catch in the final Kingdome game. And, of course, it ends with his scoring the winning run from first in 1995 and "the smile at the bottom of the pile".

This is going to be pretty cool tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

Junior just had his press confernece. He was asked if he would finish his career as a Red -- "That wouldn't be up to me -- unless I choose it to be." Which, I think he meant to say unless he chooses to walk away.

He was also asked about a move to DH -- and he said the way he's looked at it for center fielders, it's right field for three years, two years in left and one at first before going the DH route. "So I've got a while."

He was asked what hat he'd wear in the Hall of Fame -- "Don't I have five years to decide?" he said. Then he was told it's not up to him, but to the Hall of Fame. "Well, what do you think?" There were laughs, but everyone expects him to go in as a Mariner.

Right now Ken's taking BP and the cage is getting swamped with photographers and videographers.

Narron was asked about his time in Seattle as a Mariner: "I don't think they're going to be unveiling a statue of me tonight."

If the cheers Grifey's getting during BP are any indication, it's going to be a huge response tonight. He had his hat on backwards, too, something we don't see often in Cincinnati.
    Trent

Ken Griffey Jr. got a big ovation when he he stepped in for batting practice. He's wearing his hat backward, by the way.

Probably 120 people crammed in the interview room for the Griffey returns to Seattle press conference.

Griffey was charming, funny, a bit thoughtful. It lasted about 30 minutes, but in the end Griffey really didn't see much.

"I'm excited to be back."

Playing in Cincinnati vs. Seattle: "It's really the same, other than the location -- and the weather."

Any regrets about leaving? "No, because my family was the No. 1 thing."

Does he think about the playoff run? "I do think about '95. How much fun we had. We did the things you dream about, winning in the playoffs."

On playing center field in this series: "That's not up to me. I don't control that. I want to play shortstop. If it was up to me, I'd go straight to shortstop."

What's it like coming back? "It's just different . . . I don't know what to think."

Nervous? "I'm always nervous. Not in a bad way. Once the game starts, I'll be fine."

Finishing his career as a Red: "I can't control. Unless I decide (to retire).
    Fay

Griffey is in RF tonight, not center.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Kid Returns

For those of you with DirecTV or dish that have the sports package, FSN Northwest has an hour pregame show starting in 10 minutes. I assume it will be alot of Griffey and they will have the pregame ceramony. Check it out.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Senor Votto

That would be interesting to see him at short

i cant wait ....

I may shed a tear tonight, not going to lie. I loved Griffey when he was in Seattle, as I do know. Seeing his glory days and all the highlights will bring back some memories.

I remember seeing him play a double header in Chicago when I was like 7, if that, and he hit a homer in each game and robbed a dude of a homer also. It was amazing.

Senor Votto

That highlight video gave me goosebumps.

No jokes, seriously, that tribute made me change my stance on trading him. Keep him at all costs.I was born in 91 so I only remember a few of his years in Seattle.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Wow, I have some serious goosebumps. So good to see Junior getting the appreciation that he deserves. At times I don't think he feels even as half appreciated in Cincinnati, and that's just unfortunate.

I for one feel lucky to have him as a Red.

That tribute is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

That was awesome. I barely got through it.

High five!

Very classy!

As a die-hard Reds fan and life long Griffey fan the tribute video brings a tear to my eye not only b/c of the great memories of Griffey but also with thoughts of what might have been in Cincy had he stayed healthy.

Hes gotta go deep tonight or at least in this series.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

ORG Infidel

Man we have got to get him a WS ring.

Turn Off Ads?