Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JR Welcome home in Seattle

JR Welcome home in Seattle

Anybody else watching this?

Makes me realize for the first time what JR meant to Seattle......WOW!
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: JR Welcome home in Seattle

Yep. Stunning.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Very nice indeed. Was he loved that much in 'nati after year one? Tough to say it was even close.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I wonder if he wishes he never threw the ultimatum out on the table? Can't argue with his bad luck, could have also happened in Seattle. I wonder if he was as scrutinized as he has been in Cinti compared to Seattle?
    VBR IS LIVING IN CINCINNATI...I FEEL GOOD!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I rushed home, but I missed the start of the game:thumbdown... I take it he got a pretty warm welcome from the applause he got in his 2nd AB though.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I rushed home, but I missed the start of the game:thumbdown... I take it he got a pretty warm welcome from the applause he got in his 2nd AB though.

I'm sure you'll be able to catch the pre-game ceremonies someway. Very well done by the M's. It appears that absence does make the heart grow fonder.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Well, I have to be honest I found the whole thing disturbing. I turned on the TV at 9:50 or so, hoping to catch pregame and JR's first at bat - which I assumed would be accompanied by a long standing ovation. Instead, I see Griffey giving a speech - just minutes before the game is supposed to start. That speech included what appeared to be a pep talk to the current Mariners - in other words, THE TEAM THE REDS WERE SUPPOSED TO BEAT. I really didn't like it at all; I guess I just thought he would bat and they would clap and it would be cool. It just seems to be me like he will have plenty of chances to give speeches after he retires, and doing so right before a game just sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

I like Jr., but that sort of turned me off. I know the Reds' season is over, but I still want them to win, and more importantly I want them to want to win - and part of that is not giving encouragement to the other team right before a game.

I'm not a Jr. basher, and I like him, but I didn't think this was handled well. Anyone else fee the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Beach Reds View Post
    I wonder if he wishes he never threw the ultimatum out on the table? Can't argue with his bad luck, could have also happened in Seattle. I wonder if he was as scrutinized as he has been in Cinti compared to Seattle?
    I imagine if Jr. could go back in time and talk to his younger self he'd tell himself never to leave Seattle.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    I see Griffey giving a speech - just minutes before the game is supposed to start. That speech included what appeared to be a pep talk to the current Mariners - in other words, THE TEAM THE REDS WERE SUPPOSED TO BEAT. I really didn't like it at all; I guess I just thought he would bat and they would clap and it would be cool. It just seems to be me like he will have plenty of chances to give speeches after he retires, and doing so right before a game just sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

They always say Griffey isn't a vocal leader. I guess this pep talk to the Mariners pretty much flopped, seeing the final score.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

From what I seen tonight I really think Jr should go back to Seattle b/c those fans love him and tonight thats the happest that I have seen Jr in a long long time.I mean he had a smile on his face the whole cermony and game!!! I have never seen him that happy in Cincy and I sure hav'nt seen our fans do what the M's fans done tonight.

I feel he needs to go back to Seattle to play out the rest of his career.He started there so why not end it there.Griffey would never come out and say he wanted to go back to Seattle BUT he does'nt have to come out and say it b/c his face and smile said it for him tonight.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm sure you'll be able to catch the pre-game ceremonies someway.
    http://media.putfile.com/Ken-Griffey...rns-to-Seattle

In case anyone else missed it.

I just watched it on MLB.com Highlights...There is no doubt in my mind that Junior will go into the HOF as a Mariner...as he should. This town and franchise have cheated him and treated him so poorly. It honestly broke my heart to see the appreciation that the fans have for him there.

Ya know, I could see Junior asking for a trade to finish his career there.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    thank you for that link!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I just watched it on MLB.com Highlights...There is no doubt in my mind that Junior will go into the HOF as a Mariner...as he should. This town and franchise have cheated him and treated him so poorly. It honestly broke my heart to see the appreciation that the fans have for him there.

Ya know, I could see Junior asking for a trade to finish his career there.
    He was never our savior.

Just think - if it wasn't for the Jr trade, which brought so many M fans over to the then Cincy Talk forum, inwhich they caused a lot of trouble, Redszone may have never came into existence.

But the guy put the Mariners on the map, so to speak. I can fully understand the love and appreciation that Seattle has for him. He spent 11 years (his best years) with them. I think anytime a team (city) loses a player the calibre of a Griffey, and one that is well loved - which is why Pittsburgh doesn't miss Bonds - they will always hold a place in their hearts for that player. I don't care what team it is either.

It may have been somewhat different if Jr had stayed in the AL where he would have made frequent returns to Seattle. But moving over to the NL like he did made this return somewhat special to the M fans.

I wonder how they feel whenever ARod comes to Seattle?

I think when it comes to the Cincy fan, it has been more [bfrustration[/b] (not hatred or resentment) over Jr's many injuries. And I don't think anyone was anymore frustrated then Jr himself. The guy got hurt playing hard and giving his all. I still remember his first injury, as he was was charging around 3B trying to score.

But I am glad that I have had many opportunities (as well as my kids) to see one of the greatest ballplayers ever to step on the field.

And I agree Marty - he should go into the HOF as a Mariner IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-23-2007 at 06:40 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    Well, I have to be honest I found the whole thing disturbing. I turned on the TV at 9:50 or so, hoping to catch pregame and JR's first at bat - which I assumed would be accompanied by a long standing ovation. Instead, I see Griffey giving a speech - just minutes before the game is supposed to start. That speech included what appeared to be a pep talk to the current Mariners - in other words, THE TEAM THE REDS WERE SUPPOSED TO BEAT. I really didn't like it at all; I guess I just thought he would bat and they would clap and it would be cool. It just seems to be me like he will have plenty of chances to give speeches after he retires, and doing so right before a game just sort of rubbed me the wrong way.

I like Jr., but that sort of turned me off. I know the Reds' season is over, but I still want them to win, and more importantly I want them to want to win - and part of that is not giving encouragement to the other team right before a game.

I'm not a Jr. basher, and I like him, but I didn't think this was handled well. Anyone else fee the same way?
    Nope. He is the first Mariner "superstar". He is to Seattle, what Rose is to Cincy - a favorite son.

And Jr had nothing to do with the pre-game ceremony setup. That was all the M's front office. I'm sure, him being a somewhat private person, he would have liked to have not had such pomp and circumstance surrounding his return. But I think he also understood that it was inevitable, being how much he meant to the fans/city of Seattle for 11 years.

This guy was there "god".

Just having a standing ovation when his first A/B came would not have been enough. The fans of Seattle, with Jr now playing in the NL, wouldn't have settled for anything less IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-23-2007 at 06:49 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?