Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Ichiro a possibility?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Ichiro a possibility?

    just wondering what you would think about them signing ichiro in the offseason if he tests the free agent market? a lot of it depends on if they trade griffey and dunn, or either one, but it would be nice to add a guy that always hits over 300 and has speed at the top of this order, him and phillips at 1 and 2 could be very nice to get to the big boys in the order, but again, i'm not really sold on this idea either, it just depends on what goes down this year.

    whata you guys think?

  2. #2
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,918

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I'd like him but I'd rather have Hamilton, Dunn, and Griffey.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  3. #3
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I think it's a bad idea. Why trade away high-priced veterans to free up salary, only give it to another high-priced free agent? I think it would defeat the purpose of what this organization needs to do. The Reds will never be able to compete by playing the free agent market, they need to develop and promote from within and stay away from the high dollar veterans.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    53

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I'd go for it, sign him to a LTC and have we got our closer of the future...

    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...ome-a-pitcher/

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I dont think he would come here anyway, he has already voiced his displeasure over the losing with the Mariners. I'd love to have him but it would take big-time dollars.

  6. #6
    Talkin' Baseball
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The 'Nati
    Posts
    278

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I'm betting he ends up in Boston or one of the NY teams. A California team would be the next round of possibilities. If he ends up anywhere like Cincinnati, I'll be totally shocked.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mobile, Al.
    Posts
    291

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    I'm betting he ends up in Boston or one of the NY teams. A California team would be the next round of possibilities. If he ends up anywhere like Cincinnati, I'll be totally shocked.
    I was talking to a Sox fan last night who claimed Ichiro was coming to Boston. Of course, every Boston and Yankee fan thinks every player on earth can't wait to don their uniform.
    Ichiro is a god in Seattle. I mean everyone loves Ichiro there. I would be shocked if he left and I would be shocked if the Mariners didn't do everything in their power to sign him.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    10

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I have read that he is wanting to stay on the West Coast, closer to Japan. If I had two choices, I'm guessing the Dodgers or the Angels.
    And this one belongs to the Reds

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    190

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    I like him but he'll be too high priced for us.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    904

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    if we cant afford Dunn, we cant afford Ichiro

  11. #11
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    if we cant afford Dunn, we cant afford Ichiro
    i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it. i know i would prefer to have ichiro over adam dunn. this team is going to have to spend some money at some point.

  12. #12
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it. i know i would prefer to have ichiro over adam dunn. this team is going to have to spend some money at some point.
    Yes, he is. The question is whether the Reds can afford to have such a luxury.

  13. #13
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,645

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i think the question there is more if dunn is worth that kind of money, rather than not having it.
    I don't think it's a question at all when you consider the numbers he puts up with what the market is dictating. There are plenty of veterans out there putting up much less numbers than Dunn, yet making more money.

    I think the question is more can the Reds be competative by playing the high-end free agent market. My opinion is no because signing one or two high dollar free agents ties their hands too much over a long-term basis. Haven't we learned what the contracts of Griffey and Milton has done to this team?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I don't think it's a question at all when you consider the numbers he puts up with what the market is dictating. There are plenty of veterans out there putting up much less numbers than Dunn, yet making more money.

    I think the question is more can the Reds be competative by playing the high-end free agent market. My opinion is no because signing one or two high dollar free agents ties their hands too much over a long-term basis. Haven't we learned what the contracts of Griffey and Milton has done to this team?
    Jimbo, If that is true, the Reds need to pony up more money for their payroll. If they intend to be a major league team, they are going to have to be competitive and smart in every area.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,639

    Re: Ichiro a possibility?

    Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    Jimbo, If that is true, the Reds need to pony up more money for their payroll. If they intend to be a major league team, they are going to have to be competitive and smart in every area.
    If the Reds are going to be competitive then they need to build up the farm system and supplement the roster with free agents not break the bank with high dollar free agents. The Reds really need to tear it down and start all over and put the money they save on payroll into scouting and developement its really the only way they can win in the long haul.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25