Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Junior never left Seattle...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

What if Junior never left Seattle...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What if Junior never left Seattle...

Then I wouldnt get to see him play as much as I do.

Wait, where is the part about Griffey curing cancer and figuring out how to get red wine out of a white shirt while still wearing it and not getting the shirt wet if he stayed in Seattle? I really can't stand articles like this on so many levels (and while I am sure being a Reds fans have something to do with it, I just can't take fluff like this.) Wondering how a player would of been without injury, ala Mantle, is one thing and reasonable to consider.... assuming a player in his 30's with a beaten up body from wear and tear of playing at the Kingdome from a very young 19 would never get injured, move to the DH without complaint, and would fall in line with every projection that we all would of liked to seen Griffey achieve is just ridiculous (even for a fluff piece.) The situation might be plausible had the Reds placed a wicked spell on Griffey to cause all of this, but they didn't. You might as well argue that if Griffey took a cab to the ballpark before the first hamstring injury, he might of had 5 extra minutes to stretch, stand three inches to the left of where he ended up standing and would currently be at 720 as the path was never started.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Wait, where is the part about Griffey curing cancer and figuring out how to get red wine out of a white shirt while still wearing it and not getting the shirt wet if he stayed in Seattle? I really can't stand articles like this on so many levels (and while I am sure being a Reds fans have something to do with it, I just can't take fluff like this.) Wondering how a player would of been without injury, ala Mantle, is one thing and reasonable to consider.... assuming a player in his 30's with a beaten up body from wear and tear of playing at the Kingdome from a very young 19 would never get injured, move to the DH without complaint, and would fall in line with every projection that we all would of liked to seen Griffey achieve is just ridiculous (even for a fluff piece.) The situation might be plausible had the Reds placed a wicked spell on Griffey to cause all of this, but they didn't. You might as well argue that if Griffey took a cab to the ballpark before the first hamstring injury, he might of had 5 extra minutes to stretch, stand three inches to the left of where he ended up standing and would currently be at 720 as the path was never started.
    Without injury, that article could be accurate....despite what uniform he's wearing.

It could have happened here, and this town would have never been the same.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

He never should have!!!

Just imagine if the shoe was on the other foot, would we be as forgiving as M's fans? I wouldn't be, can't help it, my allegiance is to the Reds and not necc. any one player anymore.

I have always felt that if he wanted to leave he should have done it as soon as he had the opportunity and not continue to have fans invest so much in him. Maybe he felt he gave them plenty and perhaps he did but the greatest thing you could do to return such great loyalty is to simply return the favor.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Without injury, that article could be accurate....despite what uniform he's wearing.

It could have happened here, and this town would have never been the same.
    Doing a what-if statistical article of Griffey based on his trends before the injury and factoring in old age and the quality of pitching for those years is one thing, like I said that is fluff and it's just not my cup of tea. Of course you are correct and the underlining main point of where he would be at the record books is a fair assessment, I wasn't discounting Griffey, just the silly nature of that article as arguing injuries is doable but situations lead to the injury is just getting petty.

I hate when Caple tries to be funny.
    Go Gators!

As GAC said, Redszone may not exist.
    Pots and Kettles

If he averaged homeruns in Cincy, what he averaged during his time in Seattle (around 39) , griffey would be around 687 homeruns.

Averaging 39 would have been pretty easy and conservative so I upped it to 45 hr/yr as a pretty agressive number and that takes him to around 758.

Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    If he averaged homeruns in Cincy, what he averaged during his time in Seattle (around 39) , griffey would be around 687 homeruns.

Averaging 39 would have been pretty easy and conservative so I upped it to 45 hr/yr as a pretty agressive number and that takes him to around 758.
    I think it's possible that without Jr's injuries, nobody would be talking about Bonds right now and maybe steroids would be the dirty family secret that everyone knows but pretends they dont.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PG3AQKC1V1.DTL

We all know Bonds was a Hall of Famer long before the steroid controversy kicked in, but for a long while, Ken Griffey was the game's true genius, the man who would make the most historical difference. Then the injuries piled up, and Bonds just kept going, and Griffey became a sympathetic, what-if kind of character. But just look at him now, healthy and closing in on his 600th homer. The swing has never been prettier. He won't catch Bonds, but he's infinitely more dignified ...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Yep.
    Makes all the routine posts.

And when you think of Gallagher, you'd just be thinking of a guy who smashes watermelons with a mallet.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Nah, it would have come into existence for Dunn instead
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?