Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Two very interesting prospects down in the Dominican Summer League

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Two very interesting prospects down in the Dominican Summer League

I was checking in on the DSL Reds and found these two guys.

Juan Aquino
    born - 12/27/87
    He has allowed 3 hits and 0 walks in 15 innings while striking out 18 batters. He is a 6'1 175 lbs RHP. This is his first season as a pro, he was signed last October.

Rafael De La Rosa
    born - 5/12/88
    He has allowed 6 hits and 2 walks in 18 innings while striking out 20 batters. Last season he struck out 14 in 12 innings in the DSL as an 18 year old.

Also just wanted to note that Jose Marizan began the season with the DSL Reds and has already made his way as a 19 year old to the GCL Reds this season. I wonder if the same fate could come about for these two if they keep performing at these levels.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Two very interesting prospects down in the Dominican Summer League

A bit off topic here Doug, but I was looking at the VSL Reds/Devil Rays before, and I was wondering if you know which players belogn to the Reds and which belong to the Rays. I've looked, and I couldn't find any info on the guys.

EDIT: I'll answer my own question.
    http://www.vsl.com.ve/index.php?ejec...r&id_equipo=15

I should have looked harder before.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-23-2007 at 03:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Yeah, if you click each player it tells you who they are apart of.

Wow, the top five batters on the team are all in the Reds organization - including Efrain Contreras, the leading hitter.

Batting .437/.569/.312 (OBP/SLG/AVG) - 34 hits (10 2B's, 6 HR's) - 7 SB and 28 Runs with 23 RBI's in 31 games. He's 20 years old, 6'1, weighing 180 lbs.

It seems to me we're starting to see a number of these Latin America players funneling into the system now.

.437/.569/.312 (OBP/SLG/AVG)
    Dude, don't screw up the order! (AVG/OBP/SLG)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Wow, the top five batters on the team are all in the Reds organization - including Efrain Contreras, the leading hitter.

Batting .437/.569/.312 (OBP/SLG/AVG) - 34 hits (10 2B's, 6 HR's) - 7 SB and 28 Runs with 23 RBI's in 31 games. He's 20 years old, 6'1, weighing 180 lbs.

It seems to me we're starting to see a number of these Latin America players funneling into the system now.
    Isn't it kinda rare for a DSL player to have that kind of plate discipline? I've looked at stats from that league before and it seemed like everyone took the adage "you can't walk your way off the island" very seriously.

the entire DSL team has an OBP of .367. Either they have some bad pitching in the league, which is entirely possible, or they have some patient hitters. I bet its a mix of both.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

You're boy went 2-4 with a HR and a pair of RBIs today. Another interesting guy we have down there is Henry Rodriguez. He was born in 1990 and was only hitting .248 today, but has a .369 OBP. Today he went 1-3 with a pair of walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?