Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this deal(s)?

Would you do this deal(s)?

I would like to hear Redszone's opinion on this deal. Reds trade OF Adam Dunn to the Minnesota Twins for RHP Matt Garza and RHP Eduardo Morlan. The Twins get their big bat that they need and the Reds acquire a major league ready starter with #1 or 2 potential, plus a power arm with the potential to be a future closer or even a starter.

I would hate to trade Adam Dunn as he is one of ym favorite players of all-time, however, if they are going to trade him, this is the deal you make. There have been rumors of a possible Dunn-for-Garza deal, so I'm not just throwing this our there. Out of all the trade rumors involving Dunn, I think this particular deal makes the most sense for both ballclubs. Imagine pairing Homer Bailey and Matt Garza together for the next decade.

Another deal I would pursue is a Scott Hatteberg plus David Weathers and/or Kyle Lohse to the Yankees for RHP Joba Chamberlain or RHP Ian Kennedy, though I prefer Chamberlain due to his bigger frame. The Yankees are desperate for relief help and a 1B, so I could see them parting with Chamberlain. If Krivsky were to pull off these two deals it would allow him to target young hitting prospects in a deal for Griffey.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the proposed Dunn deal?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you do this deal(s)?

I hate to trade Dunn for prospects altough those two are good looking ones,according to Street&Smith.The Yankee deal is a no-brainer. Do it now.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'd do either of those deals in a heartbeat.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like Dunn for Garza, but I can't see the Twins going for it. The Twins are an organization that believes in building on pitching, and Garza is in their long range blueprint for the franchise. Dunn's contract and particular skills don't fit the Twins' mold.

I'm not sure that either Hatteberg or Weathers are the type of difference makers that can command much more than marginal prospects.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Garza criticized the Twins organization a few weeks ago which ticked them off a bit. Don't be surprised to see them trade him, hopefully to the Reds.

I think you can maybe get Garza for Dunn and another prospect, but not Morlan. That's just too much young talent. I think the Yankees deal could happen, but it'll all depend on how desperate the Yanks are. Heck, I'd take Clippard for Hatte and Weathers.

More Twins?? Let's just move to Minnesota
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    ďIím a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.Ē - Sean Casey

The Twins are 5.5 out of the WC right now with three teams ahead of them which is a huge hole to have to climb out of... I'm sure the Twins would listen if Morlan's name was brought up but any conversation that contains Garza and in it really over estimates Dunn's trade value Garza's poor attitude notwithstanding.

Scott Baker's name seems much more realistic to me in relation to a Dunn trade.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Yeah, I'd probably do that Dunn trade. I doubt the Reds are going to do any better, given Dunn's contract status.

Right now, I kind of doubt a Dunn deal will happen. My guess is that Wayne is looking to redeem himself from the trade and is asking a lot for Dunn. Nothing wrong with that, of course. It was reported that he asked the Angels for 2 major leaguers and a top prospect. Again, no problem with asking. I think it's going to be difficult to convince another club to give up that much for a rent-a-bat. Dunn's defense is another thing that will drive down his trade value.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The Twins are 5.5 out of the WC right now with three teams ahead of them which is a huge hole to have to climb out of... I'm sure the Twins would listen if Morlan's name was brought up but any conversation that contains Garza and in it really over estimates Dunn's trade value Garza's poor attitude notwithstanding.

Scott Baker's name seems much more realistic to me in relation to a Dunn trade.
    Scott Baker is worthless.

I agree that the Twins are likely out of it, but I don't know--that would be a pretty soiled white flag to raise in front of your fans if you didn't go for it. Dunn for Garza straight up would be fair for a team like the Twins who desperately need a difference-making bat like Dunn's.

Fine. The Twins can continue getting knocked out in the first round then if they were to only offer Baker for Dunn. Adam Dunn is worth every bit of Matt Garza. 27-year old players with a .930 OPS don't grow on trees.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Fine. The Twins can continue getting knocked out in the first round then if they were to only offer Baker for Dunn. Adam Dunn is worth every bit of Matt Garza. 27-year old players with a .930 OPS don't grow on trees.
    Thats the whole point....what first round? Three months of Dunn on a team with questionable playoff chances isn't worth 6 yrs of a power arm with a high ceiling. I'm not convinced in today's era, that any team would trade such a near ready arm even if getting Dunn guaranteed the wild card. Without knowing the outcome, thats a really risky trade. The Twins were willing to keep Garza in the minors to work on his change even though they knew their backend of the rotation made it less likely they'd make the playoffs. I'm not sure why they would reverse course now unless they know something about Garza that dramatically lowers his ceiling.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

no way I trade Dunn for Garza, no way.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And neither do young starting pitchers of Garza's ilk. Actually, last time I checked, Dunn ranked about 24th in OPS in the majors, so they might not be on trees, but they are out there.

Dunn makes 10 million and can be a free agent next season. Garza is a young starting pitcher who makes very little money and was just selected to represent the Twins in the Futures All-Star Game. Thursday night, he pitched a gem (4 hits, no runs, and 8 K's in seven innings). The Twins have proven they are not foolish enough to trade young, talented pitchers for rent-a-slugger type players. Last year they wouldn't consider either Garza or Slowley for Soriano. Also, this is a team that has tried starters like Sidney Ponson and Ramon Ortiz as starters and has lost Radke and Liriano while the jury is still out on Perkins and Baker. What makes you think they might trade a Garza starting pitcher type prospect for part of a season of 930 OPS?

If the Reds were 5.5 games back this year, would you trade Homer Bailey for a Dunn-type player?
    Last edited by Spitball; 06-23-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post

If the Reds were 5.5 games back this year, would you trade Homer Bailey for a Dunn-type player?
    Yes. That is, of course, if the Reds had the same organizational pitching depth that the Twins do (both MLB and minors) and the Reds had zilch power.

This isn't math. This is context.

The Twins have played it safe for the last several seasons and they've either missed the playoffs or been first-round exits in each case. Greatness costs. And while the Twins have solid depth in pitching, they don't have a difference-making, playoff-ready ace in the wings on a par with Santana anytime soon; that is, the likely window of a Santana/Liriano set-up is closing fast. I'd be trying to squeeze out as many playoff runs with Santana as I possibly could. Like a Rijo, he can carry a playoff series virtually by himself.

The Twins would be crazy to punt this season. The only thing that ever waits is mediocrity.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 06-23-2007 at 05:04 PM.

Turn Off Ads?