Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Question for the approaching deadline.

  1. #1
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Question for the approaching deadline.

    Who's more insane, me for thinking the Mets might consider a Griffey for Milledge deal straight up, or the Food & Beverage Manager at my golf course (who happens to be a DIEHARD Mets fan) for thinking that the Mets would be stupid to not do that deal right now?

    While I'm not 100% sure Griffey would accept a trade to the Mets, the Mets would be able to afford his contract, and would certainly help their OF woes due to injury.

    Given the uncertainty of Adam Dunn's future in Cincinnati, I would love to see a future OF comprised of Hamilton, Bruce and Milledge circa 2009.

    Thoughts?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    My 1st thought is how dire is their situation? My 2nd thought is yeah I would do it, but I don't think the Reds would do it right now and I doubt Griffey would ok it. Just my gut reaction.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  4. #3
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    My 1st thought is how dire is their situation? My 2nd thought is yeah I would do it, but I don't think the Reds would do it right now and I doubt Griffey would ok it. Just my gut reaction.
    Like I said, he's a diehard Mets fan, so I would hope he'd know their OF depth. He says they have issues. His exact words "I hope we end up getting Griffey, we'd be stupid not to offer Lastings straight up. I'd do that deal yesterday. We need another bat with Beltran in the OF."

    Do you think Griffey for Milledge straight up is a better trade for us, or the Mets?

    At this point in Griffey's career, I wanna say it would be a better trade for us.

    But then again, I may be the one insane.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,096

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    I think the Mets win big time. They won't get anything for him. The guy is a bad apple all the way around. I don't think anyone really wants him. I would be furious if this happened, no offense to you though HLM21, bc I understand why this would be a possibility. I wouldn't touch Milledge with a 10 foot taser gun.

  6. #5
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,321

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Sheffield was thought a bad apple early in his career as well. He may still have some issues, but he certainly turned around his performance on the field. While I don't know whether the Reds would do this trade, I don't think they'd turn it down just based on Lastings' attitude.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  7. #6
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Based on the lack of interest in this thread, I apologize to the board for wasting its collective time.

    Maybe I am crazy to want Lastings Milledge instead of KGJ.

  8. #7
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,059

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    I'm in no way a Milledge fan, but if I could get an arm as the centerpiece in the deal for Griffey, I'd throw in a Travis Wood to nab Milledge in return. If for no other reason than to have a higher profile trading chip for later use.

  9. #8
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,068

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    I'd be fine with that deal. A talent like Milledge is worth taking the chance, and would be a heckuva return for Jr.

    Not that I am jonesing to deal Jr., just hoping if they do they maximize the return. Milledge would be maximized return in my opinion...

  10. #9
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'm in no way a Milledge fan, but if I could get an arm as the centerpiece in the deal for Griffey, I'd throw in a Travis Wood to nab Milledge in return. If for no other reason than to have a higher profile trading chip for later use.
    I don't think Travis Wood gets us in the same conversation to get Milledge as a throw in, if we're getting an arm for Griffey.

    What arm from the Mets would you want, if it were an arm straight up for KGJ?

    While I think Travis Wood has zero value to the Reds, even as a trading chip, I think he has even less value on the trade market.

  11. #10
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,942

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    I don't know what to make of Milledge. I haven't seen him projected as a CF and his power numbers look a little lacking to be a corner. He's young so maybe more power will come and I'm not giving enough credit, but he smells like a good 4th OF who gets overhyped because he's a NY prospect. If Milledge is the best the team can do for a resurgent and buzz creating Griffey, I'd be disappointed.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  12. #11
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,059

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I don't think Travis Wood gets us in the same conversation to get Milledge as a throw in, if we're getting an arm for Griffey.

    What arm from the Mets would you want, if it were an arm straight up for KGJ?

    While I think Travis Wood has zero value to the Reds, even as a trading chip, I think he has even less value on the trade market.
    I'd probably want Pelfrey--the dropoff after Pelfrey is so severe, however, that if I didn't get him for Griffey, I'd probably say forget about it with the Mets entirely and move on to another team. I'm just not high on what the Mets have to offer via prospects. I think Milledge is way more valuable as "potential" than real MLB production.

  13. #12
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,942

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd probably want Pelfrey--the dropoff after Pelfrey is so severe, however, that if I didn't get him for Griffey, I'd probably say forget about it with the Mets entirely and move on to another team. I'm just not high on what the Mets have to offer via prospects. I think Milledge is way more valuable as "potential" than real MLB production.
    I agree and I'm suspicious of Pelfrey too. I'd probably want a "kicker" from the low minors to go with him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #13
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd probably want Pelfrey--the dropoff after Pelfrey is so severe, however, that if I didn't get him for Griffey, I'd probably say forget about it with the Mets entirely and move on to another team. I'm just not high on what the Mets have to offer via prospects. I think Milledge is way more valuable as "potential" than real MLB production.
    I definitely agree we should be shopping Griffey for an arm, however I just see Griffey playing out his contract with the Reds, and then signing a FA deal with an AL team who is an annual contender, has Spring Training in FL, to be a DH.

    Unfortunately, it seems the teams that are "rich" in prospects don't look to be in the Griffey sweepstakes, if such contest even exists.

  15. #14
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,059

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I agree and I'm suspicious of Pelfrey too. I'd probably want a "kicker" from the low minors to go with him.
    I'm absolutely suspicious of Pelfrey (and Bailey and Hughes, etc. etc.), but if the thinking in baseball front offices echoes the sentiments on this board (NEVER, EVER TRADE A HARD_THROWING MINOR LEAGUER ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!), then Pelfrey should be re-tradeable.

  16. #15
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    25,059

    Re: Question for the approaching deadline.

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I definitely agree we should be shopping Griffey for an arm, however I just see Griffey playing out his contract with the Reds, and then signing a FA deal with an AL team who is an annual contender, has Spring Training in FL, to be a DH.

    Unfortunately, it seems the teams that are "rich" in prospects don't look to be in the Griffey sweepstakes, if such contest even exists.
    I'd trade Griffey for a position player, just not Milledge straight-up.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25