Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rosenthal: Reds might not trade Dunn until next year

Rosenthal: Reds might not trade Dunn until next year

One rival general manager suggests that the Reds keep left fielder Adam Dunn, exercise his $13 million option and make him this year's Gary Sheffield. The Yankees exercised Sheffield's $13 million option last off-season and traded him to the Tigers for three pitching prospects. Dunn, 28, is 10 years younger than Sheffield. By waiting to trade him until the off-season, the Reds could involve more clubs. Then again, the demand for Dunn's power could get the Reds the deal they want before the July 31 non-waiver deadline . . .

Lot's of trade rumors in this column...good read
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6...0813162&ATT=49

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Rosenthal: Reds might not trade Dunn until next year

Or they could just exercise the option, and build around him, rather than most likely get a weak return via trade.

Just a thought.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Or they could just exercise the option, and build around him, rather than most likely get a weak return via trade.

Just a thought.
    I second that emotion.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

I think if they exercise the option, he can't be traded until June 15th per a clause, unless thats been proven untrue.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I don't see why they would want to pay him $13 million....of course, I don't want to see him walk for nothing either...

That's a tough one...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I don't see why they would want to pay him $13 million
    Because guys who create runs like he does cost that much. It would cost more than $13 Million to get a replacement who does less.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Because guys who create runs like he does cost that much. It would cost more than $13 Million to get a replacement who does less.
    His strike outs and his poor defense don't fit in Krivsky's "pitching and defense" mantra.

That $13 Million can be used for pitching...

(of course, now that I said that, I'm not sure what strike outs have to do with defense
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-24-2007 at 02:06 PM.

I just don't see Dunn being in the Reds long term picture, especially with his pricetag. I don't know if it's better to trade him now or later, but I would think his value right now is at it's highest (especially since his batting average is higher than normal). Of course you run the risk of injury or other problems. I think for the right offer, you trade him this year.

His strike outs and his poor defense don't fit in Krivsky's "pitching and defense" mantra.

(of course, now that I said that, I'm not sure what strike outs have to do with defense
    The Reds already have 4 rotation spots set and have $13.2 Million coming free from Milton/Lohse. No need to trade Dunn to get pitching. Just need to sign one good one with the cash being wasted on crummy ones.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

We better hope that for $13 Million, we get pitching that leads to a team ERA under 4, b/c with Dunn out of the lineup, I can't imagine this team scoring more than 4 R/Game.

$13 Million is a bargain for Adam Dunn.

Krivsky's only move to suggest he really believes in the whole "pitching and defense" nonsense is Alex Gonzalez. I've seen him do nothing to successfully address the pitching part of that equation.

Pony up the bucks to pay Adam Dunn. We won't replace his offense once he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds already have 4 rotation spots set and have $13.2 Million coming free from Milton/Lohse. No need to trade Dunn to get pitching. Just need to sign one good one with the cash being wasted on crummy ones.
    I'd say they have 3 set....I'm still up in the air about Belisle.

I think we're all concerned about Arroyo, but I think, at some point, whether it's after a DL stint or whatever, he'll come around.

I'd say they have 3 set....I'm still up in the air about Belisle.

I think we're all concerned about Arroyo, but I think, at some point, whether it's after a DL stint or whatever, he'll come around.
    Maybe he shouldn't have cancelled his upcoming concert(s). Go on the DL, play some guitar, give that abused right arm some rest.

Clear the mind.

Heal the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Maybe he shouldn't have cancelled his upcoming concert(s). Go on the DL, play some guitar, give that abused right arm some rest.

Clear the mind.

Heal the body.
    Doesn't he strum with the right arm? That's not good on the elbow and wrist

Doesn't he strum with the right arm? That's not good on the elbow and wrist
    Neither are 115+ pitch outings.

If anything, Narron's potentially ruined Arroyo's guitar career, if not his pitching career.

It seems like Rosenthal favors covering the Reds. Everytime something comes up it seems anymore that we here it from him instead of local sources such as C. Trent, Fay, or Hal. Anyway, I think the Reds would be smart hanging on to Dunn even with a $13 million salary. If the Reds had someone down in the minors that was ready today to replace him or I felt Krivsky could make an adequate trade things may be different. But unfortunately neither one is an option so in my mind the Reds might else well keep a proven commodity.

Turn Off Ads?