Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57

Thread: Walt Jocketty anyone?

  1. #16
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,010

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You'd pooh-pooh Jocketty?

    Boy oh boy.

    It won't happen though.

    That's what I think.

    I'd love to have Jocketty, simply because he's great at identifying the missing piece a contender needs and getting it. He's smart enough to grab franchise players like Edmounds and Rolen when teams are stupid and want to dump them. His farm system is good enough to give him enough bait to trade for what he needs, and feed the ML team.

    I wouldn't mind at all if Jocketty came here, but I doubt he'd be interested in rebuilding the Reds from scratch with an impatient owner. He's too smart to come here for 2-3 years and then get canned before he can finish the job. He'll go to a contender or a team close to contending.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He has a history....and one of these...

    So does Bob Quinn. And?

    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  4. #18
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    no way. look at the Cardinals farm system, it's horrible.
    Not trying to single you out here because a lot of people have said this, but last time I checked, the goal of the GM was to get his MAJOR LEAGUE team to the playoffs consistently. Under Jocketty, the Cards have went to the World Series twice, won once (yes I know they were incredibly lucky, but when you go to the playoffs every year, eventually you're going to get lucky), and have been to the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years. All this and people would turn him away because of the minor leagues? I don't get that. Makes no sense to me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  5. #19
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,659

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Not trying to single you out here because a lot of people have said this, but last time I checked, the goal of the GM was to get his MAJOR LEAGUE team to the playoffs consistently. Under Jocketty, the Cards have went to the World Series twice, won once (yes I know they were incredibly lucky, but when you go to the playoffs every year, eventually you're going to get lucky), and have been to the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years. All this and people would turn him away because of the minor leagues? I don't get that. Makes no sense to me.
    I think the points have been made--higher payroll in St. Looey and no farm system will not work here. Perhaps the captain is not willing to go down with his ship, hence looking to move on while is star is still shiny.

  6. #20
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,653

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    So does Bob Quinn. And?

    Quinn passed on Derek Jeter
    Go Gators!

  7. #21
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think the points have been made--higher payroll in St. Looey and no farm system will not work here. Perhaps the captain is not willing to go down with his ship, hence looking to move on while is star is still shiny.
    If Jocketty stays with the Cards, he'll have them contending again in no time.

  8. #22
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,639

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I think the points have been made--higher payroll in St. Looey and no farm system will not work here. Perhaps the captain is not willing to go down with his ship, hence looking to move on while is star is still shiny.
    The Cardinals do a great job of flipping young talent for good, established major league players. If the goal of the farm system is to provide the major league team with players, how is the farm system NOT accomplishing its goal if you trade those young players for major league players?

    St. Louis is also one of the best teams in the majors at identifying players in other organizations that they can work with and make better, something the Reds used to be pretty good at themselves.

    Jocketty is a fantastic GM, and I'd love to have him in Cincinnati. Its his super-genius manager that I can really do without.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  9. #23
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    I would give Kim Ng a shot to be the first woman GM but I'd take Jocketty second if she would decline. Of the two I would say Jocketty would be more likely to take the job as he had ties to Castellini as Bob was part owner in the Cardinals.

  10. #24
    Member harangatang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I think the most complex thing about this teams situation is that there is SOME talent at the MLB level and the system is weak...I think bringing DanO back with a new GM as an assistant to be over the amateur scouting and draft would be a good move....go ahead, throw some stones.
    That's a very good point about DanO and I think you're on the right track. I wonder if Krivsky would be good in a similar position as well to dig out some players out of the bargain bin. It seems that has been the only strength thus far in Krivsky's tenure as GM and was a strength in Minnesota with such players like Johan Santana being nabbed up in the Rule 5 draft. I doubt Krivsky would take a demotion but I think would great to keep Krivsky and bring back DanO in different capacities under a new GM.

  11. #25
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,659

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Cardinals do a great job of flipping young talent for good, established major league players. If the goal of the farm system is to provide the major league team with players, how is the farm system NOT accomplishing its goal if you trade those young players for major league players?

    St. Louis is also one of the best teams in the majors at identifying players in other organizations that they can work with and make better, something the Reds used to be pretty good at themselves.

    Jocketty is a fantastic GM, and I'd love to have him in Cincinnati. Its his super-genius manager that I can really do without.
    Because the last young talent they flipped is now leading the AL in ERA. And Haren was it. The well is now dry, and has been producing little more than a fracked oil well for quite some time, which is why I gather there are rumblings of Jocketty leaving. They did only win 83 games last year, which is a much better indicator than "how many rings does he have?"

    Jocketty is a fantastic GM--but like any manager has a weakness, and that weakness is about ready to come to roost.

  12. #26
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I would give Kim Ng a shot to be the first woman GM but I'd take Jocketty second if she would decline. Of the two I would say Jocketty would be more likely to take the job as he had ties to Castellini as Bob was part owner in the Cardinals.
    I wouldn't mind either, but progressive and the city of Cincinnati usually don't mesh too well together.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  13. #27
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Not trying to single you out here because a lot of people have said this, but last time I checked, the goal of the GM was to get his MAJOR LEAGUE team to the playoffs consistently. Under Jocketty, the Cards have went to the World Series twice, won once (yes I know they were incredibly lucky, but when you go to the playoffs every year, eventually you're going to get lucky), and have been to the playoffs 6 out of the last 7 years. All this and people would turn him away because of the minor leagues? I don't get that. Makes no sense to me.
    the Reds aren't going to spend the money to do what the Cardinals have done. Atlanta, Oakland, Minnesota, and even Milwaukee have to be the models of what you want to do in Cincinnati. St. Louis went out and got big contract guys like Rolen, Edmonds, Mulder, McGwire (way back in the early 90s) and so on. The Reds are never going to do that. Cincinnati also does not have an Albert Pujols, no one does.

    I'm not sure what makes Jocketty such a great GM. The farm is bare and the Major League roster is getting very old. If Cincinnati was New York, LA, or Chicago, he would probably do great. The Cardinals have had their run and if it were not for the horrible teams they play on a nightly basis they would be already done. St. Louis is 33-39 in 2007, so what will Jocketty do about it? He's going to walk because he has no way to improve it without a wad of cash. The central division of the National League is the worst division is all of baseball and the Cardinals can't compete anymore.

    If you are going to make trades for stars like he did several years ago, you have to have something to give up. I don't see much, in terms of trading chips, for St. Louis. Heck, the guy just traded for Mike Maroth. Explain that one. How about that Kip Wells signing or the fools gold that was and is Anthony Reyes. Jocketty keeps signing more guys just like that. I see no upside of Walt Jocketty in the Reds front office.
    Last edited by Jpup; 06-25-2007 at 05:34 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  14. #28
    Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Florence, KY
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    What about Kim Ng if Krivsky is fired? Having a woman in charge worked here for the Bengals, why not the Reds?

  15. #29
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,659

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I wouldn't mind either, but progressive and the city of Cincinnati usually don't mesh too well together.
    They currently have an African American Mayor, had a woman owner and Katie Blackburn runs the Bengals.

  16. #30
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They currently have an African American Mayor, had a woman owner and Katie Blackburn runs the Bengals.
    And Kim Ng could fit in quite well. Think of that SI story.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25